Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Registration leads to confiscation... (Read 78 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Registration leads to confiscation...
08/11/15 at 09:43:19

Los Angeles Mayor signs confiscatory magazine ban into law
8/08/15 | by Chris Eger

Mayor Eric Garcetti gave his signature to a measure backed by City Councilman Paul Krekorian that ends legal possession of pre-ban high capacity magazines in the City. (Photo: lamayor.org)

In 60 days, there will be no such thing as a legally grandfathered civilian-owned magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds in Los Angeles.

Mayor Eric Garcetti signed the citywide ordinance Friday prohibiting the ownership of what the state deems large-capacity detachable firearm magazines. The controversial measure was introduced by City Councilman Paul Krekorian and passed the council by unanimous vote on July 28.

Krekorian, along with gun control advocates, joined Garcetti at City Hall for the signing ceremony.

“I am committed to reducing the gun violence in our city,” Garcetti said. “This ban is part of that larger effort. It will help keep our streets safer and help prevent the magnitude of mass shootings. We are sending a clear message – we will not wait for Washington to act, we are ready to act now.”

The ordinance, Council File 13-0068, bans the possession of any magazine capable of holding more than 10 cartridges inside the city limits. While state lawmakers enacted a similar prohibition in 1999 during the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, it allowed continued possession of mags already in circulation. The new Los Angeles law removes that protection.

People who currently possess such magazines, many for collectable firearms registered decades ago, have a 60 day window to remove them from the city, sell them to a legal gun dealer, or turn them into the Los Angeles Police Department.

Exemptions are in place for Hollywood prop masters, gunsmiths, law enforcement, museums who have such magazines on display and anyone with a grandfathered mag to a weapon for which there is no 10-round magazine produced.

Krekorian, the author of the ban, painted the new prohibition as a lifesaver, saying, “These magazines may not be the cause of gun violence, but when shooters use them, tragedies turn into massacres.”

The National Rifle Association, who challenged similar confiscatory bans in Sunnyvale and San Francisco, are pledging action on the City of Angles latest attempt at gun control.

“This ordinance will not prevent violent crime or mass shootings, but it does limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners who choose these magazines to defend themselves and their families,” reads a statement from the gun rights organization.

“As most gun owners already know, magazines holding more than ten rounds are standard equipment for many popular pistols and rifles, especially those that are selected for defensive purposes. These standard capacity magazines are possessed by millions of law-abiding Americans for a variety of lawful purposes, including self-defense,” the statement reads.

City Attorney Mike Feuer, who drafted the law at the request of the Council, contends that it is virtually lawsuit-proof.

“We have considered the possibility that the second revised draft ordinance might be challenged on the grounds that it is preempted by State law or violates the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution,” Feuer told the Council in a memo prior to their vote. “We believe the second draft ordinance is legally defensible on both grounds.”

http://www.guns.com/2015/08/08/los-angeles-mayor-signs-confiscatory-magazine-...

If you're that scared of the world where you need to regulate what other people can own, you need a gun more than these people do.

--Steve

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Registration leads to confiscation...
Reply #1 - 08/11/15 at 10:26:06

Shoot (no pun on words), I thought they passed that kind of legislation years ago.   Grin

Some one recently told me they are going to have ammo with a shelf life of some where around 6 months not to far down the road.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/11/15 at 12:03:12

Nothing to see here. Move along. Your rights and freedoms are well protected.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/12/15 at 08:25:14

Gee, I wonder if I have register my quiver.
It'll hold more than a dozen arrows.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/12/15 at 11:59:46

Some words just ain't right...
Quiver always sounds like something dirty to me... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 08/12/15 at 15:00:59

Maybe you are confusing it with harem  Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/12/15 at 15:50:22

I was trained on a single shot rifle
if you need more than 9 shots
1 you suck  or
2 we're at war  or
3 you're a terrorist  or
4 no need for you to have a weapon  or
5 ???

"when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 08/12/15 at 17:14:30

verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/15 at 08:25:14:
Gee, I wonder if I have register my quiver.
It'll hold more than a dozen arrows.

That,  WILL,  be Next  !!!!!!!!!

Let’s see, how incredibly , Ignorant,
the, L.A. Lawmakers are.

A, Single Shot, Shotgun,
with (what is a), ‘LIGHT’, load of one ounce of shot.

#2 buck, contains, 15,  Projectiles, at a .270 Diameter.
# 3 buck contains, 18 Projectiles, at .250 Diameter
# 4 Buck, contains 22. Projectiles, at .240 Diameter

(A  .223, or so called,  ‘assault’,  rifle,
has a projectile of .224)

It is So Clear, that, ‘Banning’, A, ‘Clip/Magazine’,
Will, Stop, all crime.

And for the, ‘Underwear in a bunch’, crowd.

Two people standing side by side,
One with a, SINGLE SHOT, and #4 buck.
And one with a, so called, ‘Assault Rifle’.

Each have 10 rounds.

No One is firing back,  
(Hey, it’s a GUN FREE Zone, “””The Sign says so””")

The Single Shot,  will beat the  ‘Assault Rifle’, (type).
Every Single Time,   EVERY  SINGLE TIME  !!!!!

I wonder, the last bank robbery in L.A.,
        what color was the car ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #8 - 09/01/15 at 20:50:43

So the high cap clips for my USP 40 are now illegal in LA...fabulous. Good luck getting me to turn them in cause they are federal post-ban clips and you can't buy them anymore. I'll just have to make sure to have the 10 round clips in when I go to the range. Hell I own a few "deemed illegal" magazined weapons according to this new law...thanks Mayor Garcetti. Looks like I have to start carrying the sub compact from now on.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 01:03:31

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Registration leads to confiscation...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.