Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Second Savage (Read 160 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Second Savage
08/09/15 at 23:31:31

I just acquired a clean white 2007 S40 with 6100mi for $1600 to go with my black '87 Savage. Barring any secrets lurking, it is in much better overall condition than my beloved '87. Will be great to fully get to know the ergonomic differences and the benefit or lack thereof of the 5th cog, though I don't expect much on that score. But regardless, it's fixin to be husband and wife in the wind together around here, wahoo...  Cheesy

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Second Savage
Reply #1 - 08/10/15 at 03:01:10

That was one of the better factory colours, I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy it. The fifth cog will drop the revs 3 to five hundred at 60 mph

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/10/15 at 04:12:29

The chart Serowbot posted shows that at 6,500 rpm the 4 speed bike goes 94.3 mph....the 5 speed bike goes 97.3 mph.

At 60 mph the 4 speed bike will be turning 4,135 rpm.....the 5 speed bike will be turning 4,008 rpm.  The drop in rpm is 127 rpm - not much!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 08/10/15 at 04:32:54

Congrats, will be pretty cool to hear what differences you find, other than the extra gear.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/10/15 at 23:16:24

Maybe my Taiwanese rev counter is wrong, or would upping from the stock tyre to the 140/90 rear change things?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 08/10/15 at 23:41:47

jcstokes wrote on 08/10/15 at 23:16:24:
Maybe my Taiwanese rev counter is wrong, or would upping from the stock tyre to the 140/90 rear change things?

You go faster at a given RPM if the circumference of the tire is larger.

But examining the rpm/speed graphs you can see that 4th gear on the 4 speed is taller than 4th on the 5 speed.

Which was a BS engineering decision, as what the original Savage needed was the same ratio in 4th and a substantially taller ratio for 5th. Which they did not give us.

The real payoff would have been a comfortably lower rpm at 60 and 65 for long rides, not a higher top speed.

Maybe they decided if they built a 110 - 120mph Savage people would crash & burn, which some doubtless would...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/11/15 at 08:22:01

Which was a BS engineering decision, as what the original Savage needed was the same ratio in 4th and a substantially taller ratio for 5th. Which they did not give us.

The real payoff would have been a comfortably lower rpm at 60 and 65 for long rides, not a higher top speed.

I do agree about the RPM/65MPH thing.
The HP  is what it is, gearing , I agree, should have been different, but,
I can't do the math, but I DO  know it,,

HP= work over time.
So, work is moving a mass a distance. In this case, because of drag,
The Mass might as well get heavier, horsepower requirements to reach speeds increase at a non linear rate, I THINK.
BUT, if they had delivered a better setup transmission, I think some of these guys would get it to run up in the 100 mph without too much.

But , the Kawasaki 750LTD, vertical twin, stock, I don't think it broke 110 with me laying on it, tucked doesn't begin to cover it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 08/11/15 at 08:45:41

Yep, all that is in the mix.

I don't know if it goes up logarithmically, but drag at 70 is substantially higher than at 60. It may be Suzuki tried a taller 5th and it was too much strain on the engine. The fact they lowered the 4th ratio a little when adding the 5th gear is telling.

RYCA folks with the chain mod and smaller rear sprockets have doubtless explored this territory.

But the belt drive is hard to mod. There's not room to enlarge the drive sprocket and making a smaller wheel sprocket would be an expensive mfg. task for the aftermarket. And you'd need a shorter belt.

I guess people have looked for other brands' existing parts that would swap out but I'm not aware of any success.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/11/15 at 09:33:16

Sonny:

The Kawasaki EN454 pulley can be machined to fit the front, and it changes the gearing enough to be worthwhile.  A stock motor can pull this gearing around well.

After doing the front you can do the rear from a KZ750 - but only if you do the front pulley as well can you you use the stock belt.  The Double Pulley conversion really needs a modified motor to pull the gearing well in my opinion.

The belt is made by Bando and there are other lengths available....but they are pretty expensive and nobody I know has fooled around trying one in a different length.

This is my second year riding with the double pulley conversion....and it works fine for me.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384949185

y

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/11/15 at 10:13:38

Dave, really cool problem solving. Given parts and machinery availability and a few bikes and a few of you guys, I can't help but believe that there would be some way cool Savages out of that.
With every trick to the motor and mods like this,, and of course a couple of chain mods, for comparing, put a few of you guys in a shop, toss in food and leave y'all there till they are done.
Attention paid to ditching pounds, instant acceleration gain.
Peg location, seating, so many ways to do this bike... and so many have really been done well around here. Still digging that seat pan we just saw..
I like ingenuity...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #10 - 08/11/15 at 10:19:25

Dave, I just read your 2013 thread on the pulley conversion. Great piece of work there, and fine photos and reporting on how to make it work.

I may find a good machinist and do the Kawasaki front pulley to make life a little easier at 60-65.

I greatly admire the true hard core members on this board who work out this kind of thing. Where there's a Willie there's a Waylon... ;-'

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/11/15 at 13:01:46

And where there is a method
There's a methodist..

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 08/11/15 at 13:44:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/11/15 at 08:22:01:
In this case, because of drag,
The Mass might as well get heavier, horsepower requirements to reach speeds increase at a non linear rate, I THINK.

Correct. Drag quadruples when you double speed. You do the math! Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #13 - 08/11/15 at 16:10:53

I picked up my white S40 and made the 25mi mixed freeway/city run back to the house very comfortably, good smooth quiet power, no issue but some howl from the belt rubbing the back sprocket. Easy fix.

The gear spacing feels too narrow on the 5 speed when you are an early 4spd Savage heathen. The difference between 3rd and 4th is almost a formality. And then there's 5th, a little taller than 4th on the LS650. It's worth having. But they shoulda left the original 4spd ratios alone and added a legit overdrive.

The shifting was crisp and positive; I never missed a shift. The suspension and brakes felt solid and smooth, the whole thing is in newish looking condition. The tire wear is all in the middle, the exhaust header is only the palest gold tint at the top. It hasn't been ridden hard.

The drag bar feels good good.

It has been infernally hot and it hasn't rained in Dallas since the end of June. The last few miles bringing the bike home the sky opened up and downpoured with loud close lightning, turning the dust caked streets into KY jelly. Sopping wet, rain stinging the hell out of my face and I'm just grinning. Rain of Benediction on the new ride. Hey now.

White_S40_arrival.JPG

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 08/11/15 at 16:56:44

It's pleasing to the eye. Perhaps you should contact Dave and see if he will do a run of those pulley's, if enough owners are interested in that mod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:23:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Second Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.