Send Topic Print
Crankcase paint (Read 86 times)
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crankcase paint
08/08/15 at 09:03:24

Question. I want to paint my cancase and the rest of the engine components. Leaning towards wrinkle paint. My question is if the oem crankcase paint is not coming off could I paint over it or does it need to be bare metal? I tried a small section with aircraft stripper and it did next to nothing. Not sure how to remove the paint if it has to come off. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Crankcase paint
Reply #1 - 08/08/15 at 11:44:10

The stock paint on the engine is powder coat......if you want to strip it you need to use the aircraft stripper.  You can eventually get the paint off - but it will be a tough fight.

The existing paint will be a good primer, provided you scuff is up and get all the dirt and grease off.

The wrinkle paint will be very tough to maintain and keep clean.  You are much better off with a satin or semi-gloss paint.  It should be a heat resistant paint like engine enamel or caliper paint.  I am not sure how durable those paints are when compared to the stock "very tough" powder coat.

You might want to see if Harley Davidson makes a wrinkle coat paint for engine cases.  It would most likely be more durable than something you get at a hardware store.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/08/15 at 11:56:01

Thanks for the reply. Harley does make a wrinkle paint but from what I've read people seem to be pleased with the VHT brand. And I think your right about leaving the original paint on as primer. It's pretty tough. Aircraft stripper barely dulls it. Just wanting a different look is why I'm leaning towards the wrinkle. Not going to use it on the head.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/08/15 at 19:36:13

Yeah, don't use it on your head. Be looking like a shar-pei.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 08/08/15 at 20:13:36

They make a really (surprisingly) good color selection of paint for out door BBQ grills. Handle the heat and exposure to UV and weather pretty well from what I have seen.

Engine block paint comes in what, like 5 colors?

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 08/09/15 at 00:12:41

Nah, you can get engine paint in lotsa colors.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 08/09/15 at 00:23:06

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/09/15 at 05:12:24

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/08/15 at 20:13:36:
They make a really (surprisingly) good color selection of paint for out door BBQ grills. Handle the heat and exposure to UV and weather pretty well from what I have seen.

So how resistant to oil/gas/chipping is BBQ paint?

Some of the paint they use on show bikes look great.....as long as they stay in the show.  Get them out on the highway and put some miles on them, get caught in some rain, ride through some gravel......and before long the "wrong" paint will begin to look pretty raggedy.

The original powder coat on the engine is pretty tough....most stuff out of a spray can won't be nearly as durable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/09/15 at 09:06:35

Will painting affect cooling?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/09/15 at 18:30:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/15 at 09:06:35:
Will painting affect cooling?

Not too much.....The paint isn't that great of an insulator and transfers the heat pretty efficiently.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 08/09/15 at 20:32:25

I read an article about 30 years ago in an airplane magazine about what color to paint an engine. In their opinion, color mattered. They claimed certain colors would hold heat more. I don't think that color or even painting for that matter would affect cooling at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crankcase paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.