Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'New' Savage, been sitting for a while. (Read 142 times)
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
'New' Savage, been sitting for a while.
08/07/15 at 13:30:19

Hi all,

Just bought a '99 LS650P 16800km, all original pretty well cared for. The battery took a charge but seemed to die when driving home, causing the bike to sputter and die. Wouldn't push start. So it likely needs a new battery.
The fuel is likely pretty bad as well as it is from last year. The bike has been kept warm and ridden till warm maybe once a month.
Apart from the obvious; checking the carb, draining the old fuel, checking the plug and filters etc, is there anything else I should do/ take a look at before I take it out for a good ride?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 'New' Savage, been sitting for a while.
Reply #1 - 08/07/15 at 13:46:45

If it sputtered and died while running likely it's a charging issue.
check a connector under the seat, 3 wires.

WWW   IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 08/08/15 at 05:52:26

Thanks Verslagen, got the bike home and checked the battery - Dead as a dodo. Checked the plugs under the seat, but need to check a wiring diagram later; The rectifier looks to have been swapped at one point, screws securing it looks new and it only has two wires returning (Red and black) where the loom has three?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/09/15 at 01:24:24

FerousBastard wrote on 08/08/15 at 05:52:26:
...The rectifier looks to have been swapped at one point, screws securing it looks new and it only has two wires returning (Red and black) where the loom has three?

That doesn't necessarily mean it's been replaced.  That's the way it is stock.  Seems odd, but that's how it is.  It's easy to test if you have suspicions about it.  There are instructions around here and also on YouTube that are easy to follow if you have a multimeter.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 08/09/15 at 10:52:23

chzeckmate wrote on 08/09/15 at 01:24:24:
That doesn't necessarily mean it's been replaced.  That's the way it is stock.  Seems odd, but that's how it is.  It's easy to test if you have suspicions about it.  There are instructions around here and also on YouTube that are easy to follow if you have a multimeter.

Did just that earlier. Got a new battery yesterday trickle charged through the night. Once installed the bike fired up first press and idled smooth straight away. Battery read 12.22 volts stable with lights on and stabilized at 14.05 volts at around 2000 rpm, so the charging system works just fine. Took it for a 20km drive to check how the carb felt - Nothing but a slight 'stale gas' cough, so am just gonna run this tank dry and fill her up with premium. As far as I can tell cleaning the carb can wait until winter if I don't throw on another filter or muffler before then.

Thanks for your help guys!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/09/15 at 14:44:57

Cheers! I wouldn't use premium, though.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/10/15 at 03:58:33

No reason to use premium, the bike doesn't need it.

You might go buy a "top shelf" fuel however.....something like Shell or Chevron.  They do put more additives/detergents in their fuel than the discount stations do.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 08/10/15 at 04:29:37

Dave wrote on 08/10/15 at 03:58:33:
No reason to use premium, the bike doesn't need it.

You might go buy a "top shelf" fuel however.....something like Shell or Chevron.  They do put more additives/detergents in their fuel than the discount stations do.

It's just a local expression, but this is closest to what I meant. We only have 92 and 95 octane locally, and from memory 95 octane serves no difference in stock engine performance. The additives on the other hand.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/10/15 at 06:27:31

Ooops....sometimes I forget to look and see where folks are from.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of fuel you have in Denmark.  Or how the octane numbers you use relate to ours.  Here 87 octane is the one to use in the Savage, 89 is the mid grade and 91 is the Premium....some stations have 93 Octane.  Just about all of it is tainted with ethanol unless you specifically search out a "pure gas" source.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/10/15 at 07:04:12

Until the plug gives you reason, run it. Road grime accumulates around the plug. Clean before removing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 08/10/15 at 07:15:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/10/15 at 07:04:12:
Until the plug gives you reason, run it. Road grime accumulates around the plug. Clean before removing.

That's what I thought, plug looks fine, a little blackened but nothing major.

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what kind of fuel you have in Denmark.  Or how the octane numbers you use relate to ours.  Here 87 octane is the one to use in the Savage, 89 is the mid grade and 91 is the Premium....some stations have 93 Octane.

I believe our 92 octane equates roughly to your 89 octane, and 95 to 91. Some stations cary 98 octane performance gasoline, but it's very few. Someone once told me the labeling is different or the chemical composition is a little different from Europe to the US.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 08/10/15 at 14:21:51

This engine will run on the lowest octane available. I wouldn't worry about what the numbers mean.

The compression is so low (8:1? Or is it 8.5:1?) that it will run fine on whatever is available.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 'New' Savage, been sitting for a while.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.