Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike won't start - electrical (Read 71 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Bike won't start - electrical
08/07/15 at 09:20:26

Hey guys, back again because my junk broke.  I actually just bought a 2008 SV650 and it's awesome but I don't have plates or insurance yet.  I have to use my savage to go get my license and of course the day I try to do that it decides it's done working.

Here's what's happening: I tried to start it and the starter moved slowish for a couple puffs and then stopped.  Now whenever I hit the ignition I just hear an electrical spark or click sound.  

I know I'm getting the click of the decomp solenoid.  I know the battery is good and fully charged.  

What are signs of a starter dying?  What are signs of the coil dying?

I'm going to go look for shorts as well.  I had an issue with a short and my main ground wire just a few months ago.  I'll check out  how well my wad of electrical tape is holding up...

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike won't start - electrical
Reply #1 - 08/07/15 at 10:10:39

What you are describing sure sounds like a battery that is not charged.  What little charge the battery had you used running the starter for a few turns, and now it doesn't have enough energy to activate the solenoid.

Unless you check your battery with a volt meter, there is no way to be certain your battery is OK.  Batteries can go bad overnight....or even in 3 minutes.  Last year I rode to the hardware store and got a bolt, then started the bike up and rode a mile down the street to get gas.  I shut off the bike, fueled up, and then turned on the key....and nothing happened.  I did some trouble shooting and found nothing worn....all the wires were tight and the fuses were good.  I got a jump from a car and the bike fired right up (never take a jump from a running car...make sure it is turned off).  I took a long ride home for 30 minutes to charge the battery, and when I shut the bike off the battery was dead.  I tried charging it.....and it would not hold a charge.  The battery went from good to bad in a single 3 minute period.

I betcha your battery needs charged.....or maybe even replaced.
(And yes, batteries choose the most inconvenient time to stop working). Undecided

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #2 - 08/07/15 at 10:16:12

12.4V with multimeter

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #3 - 08/07/15 at 10:21:36

Fuses are good

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/07/15 at 10:23:17

Try a jump from a car battery...(car engine not running)...
If yer' bike starts easy,... it's yer' battery...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #5 - 08/07/15 at 10:34:04

Was that 12.4 volts with the batt at no load or under load?

I've seen them show 12+ volts just sitting there, but when you use themfor starting the bottom drops out. And with our bikes and their ignition system, drop below 10 volts and you'll never get a spark no matter how much you crank it.

Serow hit an easy check... try starting it off a car, not running, with jumper cables. Simple and definitive.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #6 - 08/07/15 at 10:41:27

I have a battery charger but no jumper cables. I'm letting it charge now.  I really should invest in some jumper cables though.

Thanks for the input

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #7 - 08/07/15 at 11:28:37

No dice with jumper cables.  I still get the same weird assortment of electrical sounds with no signs of life.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/07/15 at 11:35:57

the starter could be stalled on the compression stroke.
put in gear, bump the bike forward until you can operate the decomp lever by hand.  then try the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/07/15 at 11:39:23

Even if you charge it you may still have the same problem.  As koehlerrk pointed out, if your battery is toast, it could show good voltage but not have the CCA to fire the engine. I had a problem like that where a minor short was causing a parasitic draw on the battery when I charged it the voltage was fine but it still wouldn't crank. When I jumped it with my car it would crank and when I replaced the battery it would crank until the parasitic draw fried the new battery again. After I fixed the short and replaced the battery again everything was fine. Try jumping it with your car. You can get cheapo jumpers at the dollar store.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #10 - 08/07/15 at 11:44:56

I assume the tank has to come off to operate the decomp by hand?  I swear I can hear and feel the decomp solenoid working.  I can feel the thing making a bit of a quick vibration when I hit the starter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/07/15 at 12:06:28

NCSUindy09 wrote on 08/07/15 at 11:44:56:
I assume the tank has to come off to operate the decomp by hand?  I swear I can hear and feel the decomp solenoid working.  I can feel the thing making a bit of a quick vibration when I hit the starter.  

Oh, I forgot, you might not be able to grab that lever if you have the chrome head covers on.
If your decomp is not adjusted properly, it will still operate, but it's not doing what it's supposed to.

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #12 - 08/07/15 at 12:09:16

I got a few good chuffs out of it trying to bump start.  It didn't fire up though.  

I'll mess with the decomp when I get back.  I'm going out of town for a couple days.

thanks for the help Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:20:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start - electrical

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.