Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loss of power at high RPMs (Read 116 times)
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

loss of power at high RPMs
08/06/15 at 13:29:03

I travel 140km round trip to work and on the way to work I was cruising on the motorway at about 60mph, all of a sudden i started losing power, the more throttle i applied the slower i would go, I ended up only being able to get a max of 50-55mph and everytime i applied more throttle i would lose power. so i was limited to only being able to apply the throttle to about 1/2 anymore and a lose of power and speed.

I immediately assumed it was a petrol or air problem, but after a while i thought it is probably my clutch slipping.

I have had clutch slipping before and I know how to adjust the clutch.
so I got it home and started messing with the clutch, making sure i had 3mm slack at the clutch lever but i am at its limit, and cant adjust at the lever anymore. my clutch arm is sitting with slack out in the middle of the top marker.

my understanding is that if you are resting at the top mark of the clutch markings then it could be time for a new clutch pack? and if your too far below the bottom mark youll need a bigger clutch rod?

so am i looking at a clutch slip and possibly a new clutch pack/push rod.

or in this circumstance could it be something else?

I will go home and adjust the major clutch adjustment to see if I can get the arm to sit inbetween the markings. but after that I wouldnt know what to do.

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. happy to answer any questions.

It is a new clutch cable also as i snapped my last one.

Cheers

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: loss of power at high RPMs
Reply #1 - 08/06/15 at 13:47:32

Quote:
all of a sudden i started losing power

Clutches don't usually start slipping "all of a sudden". I'd rule out a fuel delivery problem first. An '06 is just about at the right age to start having issues with the OEM petcock

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/06/15 at 14:49:50

thanks i will test the petcock this weekend.  yes my thoughts were that it clutches dont immediately start to slip.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/06/15 at 19:06:50

Slipping clutches don't cause you to lose power.....the engine continues to make power and the revs increase - but the bike speed doesn't match the increase in engine speed.

Next time you are riding......apply throttle in high gear and then just lightly pull in the clutch lever until it slips - then you will know exactly what a slipping clutch sounds and feels like.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/06/15 at 21:22:45

Bad petcocks are pretty common. Start there.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 08/07/15 at 15:20:01

A genuine Raptor petcock is at least $89NZ

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/07/15 at 15:22:46

Thanks guys, will get on it asap,

So just to clarify my problem a bit easier,

I only have the first half of the throttle in all gears, if i apply more, the bike revs up slightly and i lose power.
1st 2 gears are ok because i dont need more than half the throttle to change gears, but anything after those it loses power.

hope this explains it better.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/07/15 at 18:22:34

Tiktok423 wrote on 08/07/15 at 15:22:46:
Thanks guys, will get on it asap,

So just to clarify my problem a bit easier,

I only have the first half of the throttle in all gears, if i apply more, the bike revs up slightly and i lose power.
1st 2 gears are ok because i dont need more than half the throttle to change gears, but anything after those it loses power.

hope this explains it better.

I am still confused.  Did you try squeezing the clutch lever slightly as I suggested?  That will give you an example of what a slipping clutch sounds like at any speed or throttle setting.

"Revs slightly and loses power".....does that mean if you keep the throttle wide open the engine speed still climbs?  Or is the engine slowing down?  You should be able to tell if the engine rpm keeps climbing......stays the same......or slows down.

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/07/15 at 18:39:05

With wide open throttle the engine slows down, doesn't rev up much at all just slightly as I go past the halfway mark on the throttle. Going up a hill is worse. But defs only have the 1st half of the throttle in all gears. I've had a slipping clutch befor and fixed it so I'm pretty sure it's not the clutch. Could it be a clogged up jet? Or carb?

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/07/15 at 18:42:14

One more thing is even going downhill the bike won't get to the speeds it use to. If that means anything. It's the most frustrating situation having only half the throttle

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 08/07/15 at 19:56:58

Have you checked the throttle cable adjustment? Have you tried opening the throttle cable at the carb end?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/08/15 at 03:56:54

Well it sounds to me like you have fuel flow problem.  There just isn't enough fuel flowing to keep up with the demand when you go to full throttle.

Did you install an inline fuel filter....if so take that out and see if the bike runs better.

Try loosening the fuel cap and see if the problem is a plugged vent in the fuel cap.

Is the petcock plugged up or not working right.....junk in your tank?

Finally.....the carb needle/seat - the seat has a small screen filter on top that could have junk in it, or your float could be sticking before it opens very far.

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/09/15 at 13:16:06

problem solved, I think it was a stuck float needle because i gave her a couple taps this morning and boom! shes all better now.

Thanks for the help savages.

appreciate it.

p.s old suzi is going to get a thrashing today on the way home from work lol, never been more frustrated riding with half the power, so shes going to get a work out today.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 08/09/15 at 13:20:20

If it's going to get a thrashing, watch out for MOPP (Ministry of Petty Prosecutions) and check the oil level when you get home.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:29:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loss of power at high RPMs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.