Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing and cleaning wiring harness (Read 106 times)
Winesquid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing and cleaning wiring harness
08/05/15 at 16:12:30

Hi,

New member here. Bought a 2003 Savage with 39K miles and doing the CS-1 conversion.

I've got the bike stripped down to engine frame and wiring harness. The thing is filthy with combination of road grime, grease, etc. I've decided to get the frame powder coated and will be pulling the wiring harness.

I've been marking connectors as I've stripped the bike. I'm somewhat anxious about pulling the wiring harness off - wondering if I can put it back in place. Have taken photos etc. but everything's so dirty the photos aren't very clear.

I have two questions:
- Any known issues regarding putting the wiring harness back in?
- The wiring harness is pretty dirty. Can I immerse the whole thing in soapy water and then dry out? Seems like all the components are sealed pretty well. Thoughts?

Thanks and I look forward to learning lots from this experienced group.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Removing and cleaning wiring harness
Reply #1 - 08/05/15 at 16:22:51

I think I would just wipe it down with a damp paper towel. Water and electricity don't mix. No sense in getting water in your connectors.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Winesquid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/05/15 at 16:28:23

Thanks, Kris01. Reminder that there's no charge going through the system and most components appear water tight (are they?). This will be sitting for a few weeks as I have the frame and parts painted so will have plenty of time to dry... Does that change your answer?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 08/05/15 at 16:30:25

The wiring harness ought to fit back in the way it came out. Can't see a problem there. When you clean it,if you soak in detergent,be choosy which detergent to use. Lots of household detergents are quite alkaline and won't do the loom any favours. Same reason you shouldn't wash your bike with dish washing detergent. Promotes rust. When I rebuilt my Ducati some years ago I pulled the loom, scrubbed with truck wash then pressure cleaned it. Hasn't caused any problems yet. If you took the loom to somewhere that does ultrasonic cleaning, I bet that would work well.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/05/15 at 16:43:12

I don't think the connectors are as water tight as we would like. If you do wash them and get them soaked, as least dry them THOROUGHLY and fill them with dielectric grease to keep any more water out.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Winesquid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/05/15 at 16:57:42

Thanks Gizzo, good insights.

Kris01, I checked on Dialectric grease on Wikipedia and it says, "...use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants."

Also, see this video for how to apply Dialectric Grease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKAmaIkA-U

Thanks all!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 08/05/15 at 17:49:08

What's the gooey stuff the factory uses?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 08/05/15 at 18:26:01

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/05/15 at 19:00:41

Hmmm, from that link:

In regular low voltage multiple-pin circuit connectors, such as automotive applications, flooding with a proper insulating grease of low-viscosity dielectric grease is perfectly acceptable unless a manufacturer recommends against it. The grease should have good stability and not contain metals in any form, and be specifically designed for use as a dielectric grease. This generally is a silicone dielectric grease, although some Teflon based greases are acceptable.

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #9 - 08/05/15 at 19:18:35

gizzo wrote on 08/05/15 at 18:26:01:

Great link.... thanks. Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/06/15 at 03:59:54

I think I would use Bike Bright as a cleaner.....it is good at removing oil and grease but not hard on much of anything (except it should not be left to dry on anything without rinsing).

When the harness is cool, and you are working indoors or in the shade, spray down the harness and give it a wipe down with a terrycloth rag or soft bristle brush (wear rubber gloves as this stuff takes the oil out of our skin).  Then give the harness a thorough rinse, and carefully dry it off with towels, and blow out the connectors with compressed air if you can.  Then put the wiring harness out in the sun/wind to dry.  Then jam the dialectric grease into the wire connectors when it is all dry.

When you put the bike back together....be sure to put a little electrical tape on the rubber boot/wiring harness connection.  The rubber boots have a bit of tape on them where the boot seals to the harness, and if you take that off the boot can slide back over the harness so you can access the connector to take it apart.  When you put it back together and slide the boot over the connector.....put a couple of wraps of black electrical tape on the boot/harness joint to keep water from getting into the back side of the connectors.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 08/06/15 at 05:13:19

Welcome to the CS-1 club.

Go a head and remove the wiring harness. I removed the harness in sections, using tape and labeling all of the mating connectors and where they were installed. To clean the harness wet a rag with a solution of simple green and water and simply wipe the wires. It may take a few passes but eventually it will be a good as new.

When you reassemble the bike many parts of the harness will be close to where there were originally, but not exactly in the same location. This is by necessity and design. It's not as daunting as it sounds.

P H O T O S !

We want photos of your build progress.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 08/06/15 at 10:06:03

A lot of the yucky stuff on your harness will be degraded electrical tape and the gooey residue it leaves behind. I would remove all of the old tape, and clean the area with alcohol or Goo Gone which wont hurt the electronics or the PVC insulation on the wire. Do it a section at a time so you dont forget where the "branches" are Wink

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Winesquid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/06/15 at 14:56:58

Thanks everyone! OK, wiring harness removed! Now trying to figure out how to lift out the engine...

I'll submit photos soon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/06/15 at 21:12:04

Engines have been removed alone by getting everything ready, laying stuff down, laying the bike down, pulling out the peg bolts and a top mount, standing the frame up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:15:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing and cleaning wiring harness

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.