Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My mods New rear fender (Read 256 times)
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
My mods New rear fender
08/05/15 at 15:23:11

I have started fitting a different fender onto my S40. I am using a front fender from a HD Street Glide grafted on the old stock fender that I cut down (for a bobber). It is in the fitting stage right now and the two parted are just riveted together. I need to stiffen the fender some and do body work to blend everything together. I plan on also using the stock fender grab rails for extra support. The tail light is from J & P Cycles.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: My mods
Reply #1 - 08/05/15 at 15:44:33

I like what you're going for there...Can't wait to see more.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: My mods New rear fender
Reply #2 - 08/06/15 at 06:14:31

I am going to add some sheet metal to the inside of the HD fender (along the sides) to stiffen it up along with a piece along the top to run/protect the tail light wiring. I am also going to use the stock fender rails. I used the cut down stock fender to mount the new fender to the factory mounts on the frame. I will take some pictures of how I grafted the two together.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/06/15 at 07:24:35

I deleted my previous post.....I guess WD and Rylee had gotten me brainwashed with all their "hard tail" talk.  You can't attach braces to the swing arm if the shocks are still working! Shocked

It could be that this larger fender actually won't move around as much as the stock fender...the extra mass may dampen out the harmonics or change the frequency at which it vibrates.

It still looks like a lot of fender and lights without any struts or support.  Good luck with it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 08/06/15 at 09:53:24

I'm assuming that is a larger HD rear fender that is riveted to a chopped original stock fender, yes?

No matter how many rivets you put in the front, I think the back is going to sway like a hula girl. Can you weld the 2 pieces together? Maybe weld a piece of 3/16" thick x 2" wide x 10-12" long steel on the inside between the 2 parts?

As it currently sits, I'm not even certain it would support saddlebags.

Love that tail light btw....old school Cool

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/06/15 at 14:11:03

Stock fenders, with stock bracing, shake so hard under
Robust acceleration as to make the license plate a blur.
Many have dealt with cracked plates. I did. I know about the shake, because I rode my Guzzi and watched my daughter blast away..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/06/15 at 14:40:45

My license plate is tearing pretty bad around the screws.  I need to add some stainless washers or a brace across the top.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 08/06/15 at 21:32:43

I was playing with an idea of actually making a rear fender with a swivel at the front mount and braced to the swing arm on both sides.
I don't think there would be a problem with that, just have to manufacture it so it would not buckle in the front with a load (passenger) on it, and the swing arm braces would really be taking the brunt of the load anyway.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/07/15 at 04:30:04

Could you bring the support up from the front of the swingarm
?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/07/15 at 04:48:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/15 at 04:30:04:
Could you bring the support up from the front of the swingarm
?

The swing arm moves....so if you want the fender to be braced and attached to the frame, then any supports have to be attached to the frame as well.  Unfortunately on the Savage there is no frame down low.  IN the picture below you can see how the Royal Enfield has a part of the frame that holds the rear footpegs, and then a brace is extended to support the rear fender. (Our bike has the footpeg mounts on the swing arm and that won't work).

Some bikes to have the rear fender attached to the swing arm, and the fender moves with the swing arm.  This works well in some ways, as the tire/fender clearance never changes.  The downside is the fender moves with the swing arm and it looks a bit weird to see the fender moving up and down as the bikes cruises down the road.  You also can't mount any sort of seat to the fender and have to provide clearance for the fender to move.

The Vincent Black Shadows had a rear fender that was attached to the swing arm, and the seat was mounted to a hinge in front and the rear of the seat was attached to the swing arm by struts and moved with the swing arm.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/07/15 at 06:57:12

nd braced to the swing arm on both sides.

If he's gonna use it ,,,

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 08/07/15 at 09:06:02

The rivets were only to hold things together during mockup and fitting. Everything is getting welded together and I am putting the factory side rails on too. I still had the end part of the fender I cut and put it on the bottom of the new fender for more support. I mounted everything yesterday (just tack welded) and started the bike and the fender vibrated very little. I think it will be just fine once it is all welded up.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/07/15 at 09:56:19

It is under acceleration that the back fender shakes......and it surprising how hard it shakes.  As a rider you never see or feel it - however when following another Savage around you would be surprised how hard it can shake.

And it could be that the size and weight of the stock fender just happens to have a resonant frequency that matches the engine vibration.  A longer and heavier fender might not get all that excited about the acceleration induced vibrations.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 08/08/15 at 00:11:24

Roger that Bravo...so the new fender is basically an extension welded on to a shortened OEM fender, yes? Seems like it will be about as strong as the original if it's welded properly...just from a mechanical engineering standpoint. What it will do on the bike when its moving? No clue Wink

Keep us posted though!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/08/15 at 00:47:14

It's going to be fine.  My bike had a fender like this on it from the PO.  It was more than adequate.  It needed paint and had a dent so I decided to go with the stock fender which is in perfect shape.  I'm weighing my options though.  Your fender is gonna be great, 12Bravo.  I cant wait to see the finished product.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:21:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My mods New rear fender

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.