Send Topic Print
Carb Slide (Read 125 times)
rayce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Slide
08/05/15 at 10:37:32

Does anybody know of any issues with the stock carb slide sticking and what symptoms that might have with the bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb Slide
Reply #1 - 08/05/15 at 11:04:31

Yep....they can stick.

The bike can be sluggish, slow to respond to throttle changes, doesn't run or idle smoothly, etc.

They have to be clean, and should not be oiled with anything.  The coating on them is sufficient lubrication.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rayce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/05/15 at 13:37:33

The bike will fire up and idle just fine, but as soon as you give it gas to go it dies and will not start back up. I pulled the carb and cleaned it and noticed that some of the coating is starting to wear off. could this be causing my issue?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/05/15 at 13:42:30

rayce wrote on 08/05/15 at 13:37:33:
The bike will fire up and idle just fine, but as soon as you give it gas to go it dies and will not start back up. I pulled the carb and cleaned it and noticed that some of the coating is starting to wear off. could this be causing my issue?

That's not a slide issue, that's a main jet issue.  possibly clogged.

The coating on the slide is black dry lube.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/05/15 at 16:21:28

Main jet issue right off idle? Please explain Versy.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/05/15 at 18:37:35

I've seen old gas do that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 08/06/15 at 02:23:49

What JoG said. If there's old fuel left in there (or in my case, you used food grade vinyl hose for fuel hose in an emergency then forgot about it  Embarrassed ) it gums up and the needle can become stuck in the main jet. The engine can't make enough vacuum to lift the slide against that stickiness. So, it will fire up and idle just fine, but you crack the throttle open and the slide and needle just go nowhere, engine stops.
The vinyl hose in my case dissolved over a few weeks and left a horrible green goo in the float bowl and main jet. Took ages to make it nice.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 08/06/15 at 21:18:23

You guys are losing me. Off idle should be the jet needle/needle jet, right? The main jet won't do much until you really crack open the throttle.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 08/06/15 at 21:22:00

Once again.... vacuum issue?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/07/15 at 03:47:00

Kris01 wrote on 08/06/15 at 21:18:23:
You guys are losing me. Off idle should be the jet needle/needle jet, right? The main jet won't do much until you really crack open the throttle.

The jet/needle is a above the main jet.....and is actually the brass tube that the main jet screws into.  If the main jet is blocked....no fuel will flow through it and into the needle jet.

As the slide rises it pulls the tapered needle through the needle jet, and the amount of fuel flow is controlled by the space between the tapered needle and the jet.  After about 3/4 throttle the needle is high enough that it doesn't restrict the fuel flow very much, and the size of the main jet is where the control of the fuel flow occurs.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #10 - 08/07/15 at 09:22:53

This image helped me a lot

carb_jet_usage1a.jpg

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 08/07/15 at 11:08:28

Thanks Dave. I never thought about where the fuel came from to feed the jet. So you're saying it comes from the main. I learn something new each day!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/07/15 at 12:12:57

And this image helps a lot too.

This diagram does not include the TEV (transient enrichment Valve) which helps to reduce the backfire when you close the throttle.  Also the idle mixture screw is shown on the bottom of the carb - while it is on the side of the carb on the Savage.  And they call the jet needle the calibration needle.

Also notice how the idle fuel mixture screw is not the only place where fuel enter the carb at idle.  The mixture screw is a fine adjustment to add some fuel to the mix - but there is also fuel going through other holes.  This explains why your engine can still run when you have too large of a pilot jet and you screw the idle mix screw all the way in....your pilot jet is too big and allowing too much fuel to flow through those other holes.  Your idle mixture screw should be about 1.5 turns out from lightly seated when your pilot jet is the correct size.  If the idle mix screw is less than 1.5 turns in for the smoothest idle, then get a smaller pilot jet.  If you have to turn the mixture screw out more than 2 turns to get the smoothest idle - put in a larger pilot jet.  If you turn the screw out more the 3 turns......stop as the tapered screw is backed out of the orifice and you will not get any more flow by turning the screw out any farther.

cvCarb.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:20:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Slide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.