Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
any car mechanics out there? (Read 170 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: any car mechanics out there?
Reply #15 - 08/04/15 at 11:11:54

The
Look at it when it's dark
suggestion is also a very good idea. I'm a big fan of that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/04/15 at 14:44:30

Have you tried rotating the tires from front to back to see if you can take the tires and wheels out of the equation?

Miss under load could be mass air flow sensor, MAP sensor, or partially working components that are getting weak under load, like coil, plug wires, spark plugs, etc.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/05/15 at 11:24:25

Thanks BacktobasicsZM. I did have the wheels balanced and rotated and I have replaced plugs and wires. Apparently on this car the ignition coil is integrated into the distributor so that may well be the next part I replace.

For now I am waiting for the weekend to check the wiring and just give it a general going over before replacing any more parts. I get home too late to get it done during the week.

Thanks everybody. I'll let you know what happens this weekend.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/08/15 at 17:47:29

So, how did it do in gear ,brakes, gas?
Late home, okay, dark, hood up, someone gas it, watch for arcs,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/08/15 at 18:56:19

Hello Justin. I was coming to report that I did not work on it today. I don't know just how hot it got today, but at 5 pm it was 103 F. Last I checked at 8 pm it was 97 F.

I can't look for an arc on the number 3 cylinder as it is under the intake plenum. But I still plan on taking a looking at the wiring harness. Hopefully tomorrow.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 08/08/15 at 19:17:12

You  might can in the dark, you can hear one, usually.
Rubber hose, watch fans and belts,hair, maybe..

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #21 - 08/09/15 at 11:35:37

I had a car with an OBD report of a misfiring cylinder. It only ran rough at start up, but then smoothed out over time. Mechanic said 'probably a motor mount'.  I  replaced plugs/wires - still misfiring.
I moved the injector from the misfiring cylinder to another cylinder, and the misfire moved to the other cylinder.
Replaced the injector, no more misfires, engine idles smoothly.
I suspect the rough idle was caused by one cylinder getting less fuel than the other 7.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/09/15 at 18:30:34

Well it was still pretty hot today but I took a look at the car anyway. I looked at all the wires and they all look good. The engine idles great. I revved it to 3K + and it still sounds great. I put it in drive, put my foot on the brake and revved it and it was ok. I did the same in reverse an it was ok but it felt like it moved too much. I must admit I only changed the mounts that looked bad. I guess I will change that last mount and try again. I originally changed 3 of the 4 motor mounts.

Hopefully changing that last motor mount will take care of the problem. If not then I think I will order the distributor and change it. And since I have to take the plenum off again to do that I might remove the intake manifold to clean the carbon build up. The build up is not terrible but if it is only a few more nuts and bolts, might as well get er done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/09/15 at 19:10:27

Awwrite! Great report, good to hear no sign of arcing, and the torque a brake test worked. Any time, man, just say you have a problem, everyone will apply their experience with problem solving and jump right in. Keep throwing pArts at it, you'll get there.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/10/15 at 09:08:19

Thanks Justin. I do not consider myself much of a mechanic. I take these tasks upon myself just because mechanic labor rates are getting ridiculous and I really just cannot afford to keep paying those rates especially when the problem is not resolved.

I have the motor mount so hopefully I will get a chance to replace it next weekend. I sure hope it cools off a little!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 08/10/15 at 14:54:42

A bad mount is something that you can see.
If it's not cutting out at 3,000RPM under load, then how does it act on the road,?
I forgot what car, year, miles,
Have you searched the net for it and the problem?

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/10/15 at 22:16:02

It is an 02 mitsubishi eclipse gt, 3.0 L V6 with auto tranny. In straight line when accelerating at around 2K rpm it starts to shake and like I said, it does this intermittently. More precisely it appears to run fine for a few minutes but will eventually miss or shake and then it will continue to do so under load.

I really doubt that last motor mount is causing the problem, but I have a new one, I'll change it.

I really am leaning toward the distributor being bad as apparently the distributor was changed once before and in speaking with mitsu dealer they indicated it is a possibility.

This car is actually rather difficult to work on because of the V6 configuration. I am driving my 92 Volvo 940 at the time, 4 cylinder, non-turbo, non-functioning ac with over 300K miles on it. But it will do 75 on the highway all day long. And it is much easier to work on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:58:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › any car mechanics out there?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.