Steering damper (Read 268 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Steering damper
Reply #15 - 08/03/15 at 07:56:45

@Dave
My 883 while still stock was enjoyable to ride thru the canyons. My only dislike was the throttle is very touchy and any bumps or bounces even just slight movement caused me to be jittery on the throttle. As far as the steering went it was fine. I don't know if a damper would have made a difference. But like my current setup on the savage the 1200 I rode was hard tailed with a 5" stretch and 3" drop seat. The bikes handling characteristics were drastically changed. I built the bike for the owner and rode it thru Santiago canyon minus a damper so I had a feel for it. He later installed a kit and after seeing it I asked to do a portion of the ride to see the difference if any. I definitely felt a difference. The flop was all but gone. It laid over smoother and you weren't fighting the steering during switchback transitions.

One of the main selling points for most damper companies like ohlins or Scotts is rider fatigue. The damper absorbs front end movements and not the rider. This cuts down on having to ride heavy handed on the bars during long trips (something I have to do because of my setup) and it absorbs smaller imperfections in the road like rain grooves. This is my main focus for the damper. I don't think I'll ever be doing high speed canyon runs, though I've been told I push the bike way further than anyone I ride with say they'd be comfortable doing on a rigid.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #16 - 08/03/15 at 08:02:17

@Gary

I'm familiar with that Gary. We always called it nibbling. When I had the knobby tire on the front it was really bad, but due largely to the knobbed tread pattern. When I swapped over to the firestone it all but solved the issue. I still get a little nibble now though. I just ride more relaxed on the grips so I'm not fighting it and so the bike can track how it wants.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/03/15 at 09:20:04

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/03/15 at 06:09:24:
chzeckmate wrote on 08/02/15 at 22:54:30:
Our little bike demands constant steering adjustments and that just doesn't feel like cruising to me.  I want to cruise and I believe a damper is the answer  

A steering damper will not make any difference to this situation.

That depends on the reason for the need for steering adjustment.  I'm not just talking about ordinary corrections for maintaining a smooth line.  I suppose I should've clarified that.

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/03/15 at 05:40:24:
Given the steering geometry of the LS650, if you do have wobble, then you have an underlying problem that should be addressed before you start tacking parts onto the bike.

In my opinion, a steering damper will take a slow-steering bike that has little bike/rider interaction, and further mute the communication.

Any bike can wobble.  The video below can explain that for me.  This is not necessarily indicative of an underlying problem.  I have two reasons for my interest in a damper...First, is that I like to ride one handed sometimes and often with a light touch.  Sure, I could stop riding like that and it would be a no cost solution but I don't want to.  Second, is the atrocious condition of the roads in Houston.  The broken pavement and shoddy tar snake repairs in our roadways here can lead to a herky jerky steering situation that wouldn't be remedied by a steering stabilizer but would be dampened, which is the point.

I don't agree that the S40 is a slow steering bike.  For it's design I'd say it's responsiveness is anything but slow.  Many cruiser style bikes usually can't achieve the S40's lean angles either.

I do agree that a damper won't help with tramlining.  I think a good set of properly inflated tires might be the answer for that.  There's always going to be some though.

https://youtu.be/fvsDIq3WwVA?t=4m25s

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 08/03/15 at 17:21:02

A friend of mine has one,... he likes it...  
... and he's fast...
Anyway,.. I thought you might like the pic...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #19 - 08/03/15 at 17:28:48

Thanks Sero I do like it. I planned to do the same setup just opposite side so I can use the horn mount holes. I got that style damper as well as the remote reservoir style. Gonna try them both and see which I like more.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/04/15 at 16:11:27

Serowbot wrote on 08/03/15 at 17:21:02:
A friend of mine has one,... he likes it...  
... and he's fast...
Anyway,.. I thought you might like the pic...Huh...
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/bshow026.jpg

That's a sweet looking bike!  It would appear that your friend also has a fork brace as well (Looks like a Superbrace in the pic).  I'm curious if he got the damper before or after the brace and what insight he might share regarding the difference before and after.  Of course, if he added them at the same time then we'd have to attribute the positive results to both.  If he added the damper before the fork brace we might assume that the damper wasn't sufficient and likewise if he added it after the brace then we might assume the brace wasn't sufficient to achieve the desired effects alone.

I'd say it's fair to assume that his experience without these accoutrements must have been considerably annoying to have spent the $165 on the brace and $?.?? on the damper and the effort to install them both.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 08/04/15 at 19:06:57

I'm curious if he got the damper before or after the brace and what insight he might share regarding the difference before and after.  Of course, if he added them at the same time then we'd have to attribute the positive results to both.  If he added the damper before the fork brace we might assume that the damper wasn't sufficient and likewise if he added it after the brace then we might assume the brace wasn't sufficient to achieve the desired effects alone.

It's not everyday that I see complete analytical thought processes.
Refreshing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #22 - 08/04/15 at 22:33:35

So I got the remote reservoir damper today and got it on the bike. Bracket was pretty easy to make so I whipped it up quick and installed it. Made marks then removed it and welded a bracket to the frame because I don't ever plan on removing it so...

Did a pretty big ride tonight with the Venice Vintage MC. lots of cool vintage cafe bikes and such. We hit Topanga canyon and put in about 60 miles of solid canyon roads. The damper has 12 clicks on the knob from soft to hard. I started all the way at soft and slowly clicked 1 at a time through out the ride. At about 4 clicks I started to feel the damper working. Settled on 7 clicks as my happy spot. Steering is clean and responsive and there's definitely a difference in feel to not having it. The last section we did was a 9 mile run where we looped around and reversed back thru it. I did the first part at 7 clicks then at the turn around clicked it all the way back to the 1st click soft side. It was a very noticeable difference in feel of steering and response.

Going to have to put more miles on it obviously before I can say it's a good addition but with just that little run I noticed a cleaner feel in the front end. It laid over smoother and wasn't as floppy as I'm use too when riding the canyons.

I can say this though with just one ride under it's belt I'm happy with the $50 investment!

20150804_171615-1600x900.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #23 - 08/04/15 at 23:03:56

Rylee,

Looks like you did a good job.

How about posting some closeup pics of the bracket you made and how you have the other end fastened to your bike.

Kenny G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/04/15 at 23:29:50

Your bike is looking real good man.  I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the new damper.  What I'm really interested in hearing about is your experience with it on roads you ride all the time.  The ones you know like the back of your hand.  I'm eager to hear a report once you have some more ride time on the damper.

I'm with KennyG too...I'd like a better look and some more specifics about mounting.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #25 - 08/06/15 at 11:24:07

I'll get some better shots of how I mounted it plus a few pics of the bolt on mount I made for those not able to weld. I'm doing a big ride Saturday morning and I'll have some good feedback from that. As far as the roads I ride everyday the improvement was immediately noticable.

Sad to say but I've posted the bike for sale. I have my eye on an 06 model with no miles and original owner that's bone stock. Time to start over and build another one. This time around I wanna do a voodoo vintage board track frame and swap the engine over. Gonna go longer and lower and have some fun with their frame switching it up a bit. Not sure if I'm going to go this route style wise yet or not. The sale has sparked good interest thanks to a few companies that have reposted the bike on instagram. If your on instagram you can check it out on the @bobbers_n_choppers page.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #26 - 08/07/15 at 09:34:52

Does removing the front fender change the stability in any way?
I am curious since the fender mounts to both side essentially mating the right a left shock together.  When it is removed, the shocks can act more independently.  I would think that this would allow more wobble to the tire.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/07/15 at 10:04:50

I rode my Cafe' bike around for a year without a front fender.  When doing the work to convert it to a Cafe' I just ran out of winter and wanted to spend the summer months riding....not working on a fender mount and fork brace.

The next year I installed a TKAT front fork brace and fender.

I really didn't notice a night/day difference in the way the bike handles.  I did however notice that I got a lot less water and grit thrown into my face.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #28 - 08/07/15 at 22:10:13

I've rode both with and without the front fender and I can't say I've noticed a difference in handling. Like Dave said you do notice the difference in being sprayed with debris! Nothing beats the combination of no front fender, 3/4 helmet, superslab and pouring rain!

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/08/15 at 00:15:12

I know what you mean.  I've actually been considering putting a skirted front fender on mine to reduce the blowback.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:14:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering damper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.