Send Topic Print
Steering damper (Read 268 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Steering damper
08/02/15 at 15:21:15

Can someone provide me with a good picture of the horn bracket? There is no horn currently on my bobber just 3 threaded holes in the frame near the neck.

Reason for asking is I just purchased a universal steering get damper. Why you ask? I rode a sportster this weekend that had one thru some canyon roads and the feel was so amazing. Steering was crisp and not labored to control switching back and forth between the turns.

I need the photo of the bracket because I'd like to fab up some mounts that could be used by all rather than just weld it to my neck. The steering damper I purchased was $54 off ebay and has an external reservoir, 6 adjustment settings and is 255mm in overall length. I plan to utilize the brake cable boss bolt on the underside of the lower tree and the steering side mount. And I will fab up a plate that bolts to the existing threaded holes in the lower neck.

Thanks

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Steering damper
Reply #1 - 08/02/15 at 15:44:15

Try here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

If for no other reason, it's just fun to look at!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/02/15 at 17:19:53

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 08/02/15 at 20:05:04

I have three threaded holes on the lower brace section of the downtube/neck. I see the two top holes are for the horn any idea what mounts in the lower threaded hole. I'm most likely going to have to drop the bracket and come away from the frame a bit for clearence of the damping rod when the steering is turned to the right. Curious to see how the horn mounts thanks for the pic @chzeckmate

20150802_200445-1200x2133.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #4 - 08/02/15 at 20:21:40

So from the looks of the horn location and the relevant space needed I'm going to attempt to make a bracket that utilizes both threaded holes from the horn mount and the lower hole that is not being used and just plugged. I'll make a bracket that uses all three holes and just put longer bolts so you can remount your horn. The damper should be here Thursday or Friday and I'll get it done quick.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 08/02/15 at 20:25:45

Here is a photo of the damper with dimensions. It uses heims at both mounting points for rotatable movement during steering changes. The rear Mount bracket will simply bolt to my frame mounted plate. Looks easy in my head I'll have more for you guys once I get the damper.

Screenshot_2015-08-02-20-23-05-1.png

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/02/15 at 22:12:58

Thanks, I'm bristling with anticipation. I've been considering this since the first day I got my S40.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #7 - 08/02/15 at 22:37:22

@chzeckmate

I've seen the kits for harleys online and spent over a decade on street bikes so I understand the benefits of a damper just never felt the need to have one on a cruiser before. Though hard tailed my bike has taken a very cafe-ish look in it's build and I revisited the idea of a damper since it would flow with the style of build. It wasn't until riding a buddies bulky 1200 sportster that I realized how much of a positive difference one makes. I was going to simply weld in a bracket until I noticed the thread tapped holes in the frame. Once I realized it was for the horn mount I decided I'd attempt to make a bolt on bracket

I've also ordered a cheaper 330mm in length damper that doesn't have an external reservoir and I'll make a bracket for it as well with the same mount point for anyone not wanting to buy the more expensive damper. Both seem to have the same amount of adjustment per the ebay ads I  just chose the more costly of the 2 for style preferences.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/02/15 at 22:54:30

I've owned a lot of bikes and the ones that didn't have dampers didn't need them but this bike is really wonky on the tar snakes and such.  I like to ride one handed or with a light touch and you just can't do it with confidence on the cabbage.  Our little bike demands constant steering adjustments and that just doesn't feel like cruising to me.  I want to cruise and I believe a damper is the answer.  I know, I know, I'm going to hear all about fork brace options but if there's a steering damper solution I want that.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 08/03/15 at 05:40:24

Rylee,

You can't compare the handling of one bike design to another, and then assume it's the steering damper that makes it feel more stable. There are so many factors to this equitation; steering geometry, weight distribution, condition (wear) of the suspension components, tires, rider technique - that an apples-to-apples comparison is simply impossible. More likely, the Sportster just handles better than your bike.

Unless your bike has wobble (uncontrolled oscillation at the steering head) a steering damper will have no positive effect. Given the steering geometry of the LS650, if you do have wobble, then you have an underlying problem that should be addressed before you start tacking parts onto the bike.

In my opinion, a steering damper will take a slow-steering bike that has little bike/rider interaction, and further mute the communication.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 08/03/15 at 06:09:24

chzeckmate wrote on 08/02/15 at 22:54:30:
Our little bike demands constant steering adjustments and that just doesn't feel like cruising to me.  I want to cruise and I believe a damper is the answer  

A steering damper will not make any difference to this situation.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #11 - 08/03/15 at 06:16:02

I have considered http://shop.rycamotors.com/fork_brace.html but I am not sure if this adds any stability you are looking for.

I have never had a problem riding under 50 mph one handed, but not for an extended amount of time.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/03/15 at 06:45:04

I have never experienced and wobble or oscillations of my forks or steering....which is what a steering damper corrects (Maybe I don't ride aggressive enough....or my fork brace has fixed it).  A proper steering damper does almost nothing if the forks are turned slowly - but when the forks are moved quickly form side to side the damper limits how fast and far the forks can oscillate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHsgAX3TBY

I have only had 2 things about the chassis on the Savage that I believe are potential issues.  1)  The stock rear shocks have very little travel and can bottom out pretty easily on moderate bumps or potholes.  I experienced one pothole that gave me that nerve "electrical shock" as my helmet and head compressed my spine.  2) I have read bout others claiming (and occasionally felt) the bike wander around when banked over for high speed sweepers.  I really don't ride fast enough to experience that much.....I prefer tight mountain roads where speeds are much slower.  The fork brace is supposed to help that - but it could also be chassis or swing arm flex, as the bike really isn't made for that kind of aggressive riding.

When I rode MMRanch's 883 Sportster on the Dragon.....I was amazed how nice the bike corners and how easily it steers from side to side.  I was really pleasantly surprised at how nicely it rode.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #13 - 08/03/15 at 07:30:17

@Gary and Dave

Very good points from both of you. But remember my bike is both longer and lower than a stock bike. My rake geometry though very little has been changed. And my center and weight placement have both been changed. I sit much farther back than stock and with my drop seat deeper in the frame. All changing the characteristics of how my bike handles.
Having said all that the main reason I wanted a steering damper is I do a lot of freeway riding and in LA as I'm sure in many places most freeways are sectional cement with rain grooves cut into the lanes. This attributes to a lot of gittery steering movements while traveling down the lane. If adding a damper can subdue that for me it was 50 bucks well spent.
I am more than content making a proper bracket and welding it on. I figured since I'm going to do it, and the location the bracket would be in has mount holes anyways why not create the same bracket that can be bolted up. Then if anybody else has had the idea of doing a damper I can provide them with a way to mount it. I'll make a few extras, throw them in an envelope and for let's say 10 bucks I'll throw it in the mail. This was by no means an idea that I felt would make me a bunch of money. And like the tach, oil filler temp gauge and various other products that the savage doesn't really need this is simply an accessory that I have the ability to provide the means to mount it.

Do you really need it on a stock bike, no. At most like Dave said on high speed runs it may provide a bit more control but I know deep down it's not really necessary. For me it will serve more of an aesthetic purpose. That and I'm hoping it cures the rain groove bobble on the freeways.

I will however follow up with this thread once it's been installed and solid miles have been riden with any positive or negative feedback. I participate in numerous canyon rides and at least 1 long distance ride a month. Seeing how there's no real data on what help if any it would actually provide on the savage I will gladly take the job of being the test subject. Worst case scenario I spent 50 bucks and an hour of my time  on something that looks good but serves no purpose. More finances and time have been spent on much less with many a build.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 08/03/15 at 07:42:13

Rylee,

The phenomena you are describing where the tires want to follow undulations in the tarmac is called "tramlining". An explaination can be found here on Wikipedia => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Wobble is a frigging frightening condition that can become violent, leading to a tank slapper.  A Steering Damper reduces the causes of wobble - NOT tramlining.

Once again, here is a Wikipedia definition of a Steering Damper => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering_damper

If you feel that you have modified your bike to the point that you have excessive tramlining, then you need to address that condition.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:20:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering damper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!