Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler, Carb issues (Read 316 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dyna Muffler, Carb issues
Reply #15 - 08/02/15 at 20:15:06

I'd have that carb apart and check every port and passageway.
Float level, everything. How else will you know? You clearly had a
Pro
who did a
Less Than
job.
A can of Berrymans, EYE Protection, very well ventilated work area.
I go outside when I can. I also take a breath, hold, squirt, walk away exhaling. That stuff is harsh.

The plug sits in a hole. dirt accumulation makes blowing it clear before pulling the plug prudent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/02/15 at 20:20:42

Carb is pretty much spotless.

Put the stock needle with stock spacer back in. Back to square one and at least it runs.

Really tingy though at idle,  just seems to get worse. Ordered a 55 pilot,  should be herein a week.

Gonna check the header gasket. Didn't replace that and there was a lot of jimmy in going on. Maybe this will solve the mystery ting.

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 08/02/15 at 20:49:52

The idle screw cranked in so far as to put that amount of slack is messed up.
You swapped mufflers, a week later, it starts running funny .
I'm Not one of the carb guys, but , IMO, something is blocking something that has to do with the idle circuit.
I hope one of the smart guys addresses the idle screw, slack in throttle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/02/15 at 20:54:39

The late reaction is odd,  but honestly I think im having to crank my idle up so much just to access later jets. Hopefully a freer flowing pilot will help idle run smoother.

I wanna know why what Ithought would lean the carb by llowering the needle made bike blow black smoke. Do I have that all backwards? Lowering the needle I thought meant leaner.

2012 Savage: dyna American custom, Raptor petcock, Elev: 200ft 55, 147.5, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/02/15 at 21:08:19

You could be right about the bigger pilot jet.
with the stock one and the tapered needle, it will correct the fuel mixture at that point.
putting the stock needle in made it leaner, now it's missing and passing unburnt gas into the exhaust.

WWW   IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/02/15 at 21:14:38

Thanks verslagen.  I think the taper on the needle he used along the shift was different. Lowering it likely choked off the flow of fuel. Ill update this when I get the larger pilot in. I also ordered larger mains,  but per serowbots posts,  one step at a time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/02/15 at 21:16:32

Okay, change muffler, week later, carb needs jets,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 08/03/15 at 04:25:59

The "other" needle you have appears to have an entirely different taper than the stock one.  It appears you will be flowing far more fuel as the slide raises.  The taper on these needles is a way that carb can be adjusted to change mixtures at varying rpms.

You would most likely be better off using the stock needle and adjusting it to work....as the taper matches the fuel needs of the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/03/15 at 16:00:22

So, what is causing the need to Jack the idle so high as to put slack in the throttle cable?

IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/10/15 at 20:35:48

Ok finally got my jets. Put them in tonight,  started it up and ran it around town. It's perfect!

I replaced the head gasket,  and it seems obvious there was a leak. I also used some high temp silicone to seal the clamps as well as the baffle.

Pulls hard through the full range of revs and no feathering during low throttle.

Shaved the spacer down about 1/4 of the way, and now have a 55 and 147.5 jets.

Gonna ride it as much as I can and see if it holds up  Smiley

IP Logged
divinerob
YaBB Newbies

Thumpers Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #25 - 08/11/15 at 08:43:17

I have a question regarding dyna muffler #65747-94. Just got done with the break-in service and wanted to change the stock muffler to the dyna one. Will I need to re-jet the carb ? Everything else is stock

divinerob   IP Logged
jwenrich
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/11/15 at 10:48:01

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/11/15 at 11:40:14

divinerob wrote on 08/11/15 at 08:43:17:
I have a question regarding dyna muffler #65747-94. Just got done with the break-in service and wanted to change the stock muffler to the dyna one. Will I need to re-jet the carb ? Everything else is stock

The DYNA doesn't always need a re-jet, however if you bike is borderline on needing different jets.....it could push it over the edge.

You just need to ride it and see if the bike runs better or worse after the change.  The DYNA won't hurt the way the bike runs and might even improve it a bit...as long as the jetting is still good after the change.  If you feel any flat spots where the bike feels like is doesn't pull as hard....or you get surging where the bike isn't sure how hard ti wants to pull, then a re-jet is necessary.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #28 - 08/11/15 at 12:32:10

Can someone please point me to where to get the spacer?  I have looked, but have not found anything yet.  I want to preserve the original in the event that reducing the size i take too much off.  Tried Ace and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 08/11/15 at 13:33:33

JutMan wrote on 08/11/15 at 12:32:10:
Can someone please point me to where to get the spacer?  I have looked, but have not found anything yet.  I want to preserve the original in the event that reducing the size i take too much off.  Tried Ace and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

You just need to go to a good hardware store, and buy small washers in the #4 machine screw size.  Most folks find that 3 washers used instead of the spacer works fine....for my bike I needed to go down to 2 washers as I still had a surging issue just off idle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler, Carb issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.