Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Concept (Read 826 times)
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Re: Savage Scrambler Concept
Reply #30 - 08/25/15 at 11:02:19

Remember what I said about riding? I changed my mind, got talking with Verslagen and Lancer and ordered a new headplug + cam chain adjuster plus a Stage 3 cam shaft and 97mm Wiseco piston.
The head plug and adjuster should be here soon, but would still need to send the cam and barrel out for treatment and boring. So decided to work and get the performance mods mounted and running so I can start breaking in the new bits before winter. Quick decisions!

At the building where I live we have an old gardening shed out back, so set up shop there this afternoon and got in a few hours work on the bike.
Got the tank, carb, exhaust, belt and battery box off, and am more or less ready to lay the bike on its side tomorrow to get the motor out. Love working on bikes like this! Grin

IMG_46462.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 08/25/15 at 11:09:32

Look at the size of that license plate! Shocked

No wonder you need a bigger piston and hotter cam.....dragging that plate through the wind must take a lot of power!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #32 - 08/25/15 at 11:21:27

Dave wrote on 08/25/15 at 11:09:32:
Look at the size of that license plate! Shocked

No wonder you need a bigger piston and hotter cam.....dragging that plate through the wind must take a lot of power!

Haha yeah! In a head wind you shouldn't expect to hit anything above 50mph  Wink
Legislation dictates that a motorcycle number plate this side of the pond be the same size as car plates and at a near vertical angle.. Some days I envy your fancy tiny american number plates.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 08/25/15 at 11:55:35

In Kentucky where I live you don't need a license plate on a trailer - but you do need running and brake/turn signal lights.

When I was looking to build a simple trailer I looked at what the folks in Europe were doing for their small trailers to haul their motorcycle behind a small car.  I found that they have to use a very specific "board" with the tail lights and license plate all being very "proper".  The trailers might be different shapes and sizes - but they all had the same type of board mounted on the back.

SNC00028.jpg

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #34 - 08/25/15 at 12:09:26

Dave wrote on 08/25/15 at 11:55:35:
In Kentucky where I live you don't need a license plate on a trailer - but you do need running and brake/turn signal lights.

When I was looking to build a simple trailer I looked at what the folks in Europe were doing for their small trailers to haul their motorcycle behind a small car.  I found that they have to use a very specific "board" with the tail lights and license plate all being very "proper".  The trailers might be different shapes and sizes - but they all had the same type of board mounted on the back.

Looks familiar enough. Here in Denmark a trailer has to have it's own separate registration coupled to the cars, but that board looks like what you have have mounted when you have a bicycle hitch mounted behind your car.  Quite common around here.
Very proper and all, but you'd never get away with building your own trailer here in DK. If you lay even a single weld bead on a structural frame member you risk some nosey MOT employee giving you a hard time.  Angry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 08/25/15 at 12:51:50

I would have a hard time not being allowed to build my own stuff.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #36 - 08/25/15 at 13:15:37

I put my bike through MOT with some dumbass big plate and then change it straight back to what looks good. Never been pulled over. It's pretty lax implementation of the license plate size regulation on the street here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 08/25/15 at 21:37:23

harbor freight trailers bolt together..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #38 - 08/26/15 at 08:30:02

strang wrote on 08/25/15 at 13:15:37:
I put my bike through MOT with some dumbass big plate and then change it straight back to what looks good. Never been pulled over. It's pretty lax implementation of the license plate size regulation on the street here.

Same here, my MoT (annual inspection/test) was due the other week and I had to revert to using the huge 'standard' plate.
Luckily, when I bought the bike it came with both a small and standard plate.
My bike has a side-mounted plate, and with the standard size it looked ridiculous.
I've never been pulled over, either  Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #39 - 08/26/15 at 12:33:31

You lucky brits..

Got the motor out today and opened it up to get the cam off to Lancer and the barrel off. It's clear that although run intermittently it was well cared for. No major signs of friction modifiers used in the oil inside the casing. The rocker faces still have their original machining clearly visible and so does the cam bearing surfaces. The barrel still has clear honing marks and the piston has only minor signs of rocking. While the piston has some carbon buildup it's to be expected from a bike which has been run with older gasoline.
The adjuster was out to a smidge under 15mm, very slight ovalling, why Suzuki would willingly install adjusters like these on their engines are beyond me.  Huh

IMG_46732.jpg
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #40 - 08/26/15 at 12:35:22

Anyone know how to clean of that carbon so I can use this honking piston as a candy bowl?  Wink

IMG_46802.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 08/26/15 at 13:05:17

I blast the carbon off with crushed Walnut shells in the bead blaster.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #42 - 08/26/15 at 13:31:54

this thing is gonna be good  Smiley

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #43 - 08/26/15 at 20:00:25

strang wrote on 08/22/15 at 11:47:02:
Ferrous, if you go moving the ryca footpegs you will end up having to move the whole stock muffler position. I wish I'd just imported a set of their pegs but I stubbornly wanted mid-controls. Would have been riding a long time ago if I'd just gone with their cafe position and stayed stock muffler. Hell if you stay stock tank, what are you doing - sprung seat, change shocks, chuck some knobblies on there, paint, ride!
I think it's good idea throwing photo shop ideas around for a while, will save you a lot of time in the long run.

I like where you put your footpegs on your bike in the photo.  Any chance of a close up shot??  I am really starting to hate the stock "forward controls" position of the pegs.  If I stand up on the pegs going over a rough patch they are so far forward the gas tank is spreading my knees apart.   If I go deep into a corner I scrape the pegs.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #44 - 08/27/15 at 08:28:54

Flint wrote on 08/26/15 at 20:00:25:
strang wrote on 08/22/15 at 11:47:02:
Ferrous, if you go moving the ryca footpegs you will end up having to move the whole stock muffler position. I wish I'd just imported a set of their pegs but I stubbornly wanted mid-controls. Would have been riding a long time ago if I'd just gone with their cafe position and stayed stock muffler. Hell if you stay stock tank, what are you doing - sprung seat, change shocks, chuck some knobblies on there, paint, ride!
I think it's good idea throwing photo shop ideas around for a while, will save you a lot of time in the long run.

I like where you put your footpegs on your bike in the photo.  Any chance of a close up shot??  I am really starting to hate the stock "forward controls" position of the pegs.  If I stand up on the pegs going over a rough patch they are so far forward the gas tank is spreading my knees apart.   If I go deep into a corner I scrape the pegs.

Flint - I think your asking me?
So as not to hijack Ferous's build thread I'll answer over on my build.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 08:47:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Concept

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.