Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Concept (Read 826 times)
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Re: Savage Scrambler Concept
Reply #15 - 08/07/15 at 07:29:44

zipidachimp wrote on 08/04/15 at 00:40:21:

Could be pretty interesting to see if it could be made to fit the Savage, Sportster owners reports that its much more comfortable than the stock and from memory the sportster seat is more comfy than the stock seat. So a Biltwell might be a big step up for the bum.  Wink

Did another rendering to explore what it'd look like dressed in red. Fingers are getting a bit fidgety, need something physical to work on.
Just sold an old project so am taking a drive tonight to check out a '99 with 15k km. on the odometer not far from here, might just get lucky heh

Suzuki-Savage-7RedTracker.jpg
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #16 - 08/07/15 at 11:31:15

Ferous,

Build two of the scramblers and send me one....

Kenny G

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #17 - 08/08/15 at 06:02:53

Here she is; Black no. 13

1999 model, 16080 original Km. Almost all original. Chrome in good order and thumping like she should when the battery isn't dead. Has a minor head plug leak, but that should be manageable. The bike has been sitting for some time and only ridden intermittently, so am gonna drain the tank and clean the carb for good measure.
Already has the 140/90-15 rear tire mounted with 1/2" of clearance on the swing arm so a 17" rear rim should be no problem.

IMG_46252.jpg
  IP Logged
pointman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/08/15 at 10:17:03

Here is my interpretation of the scrambler/tracker concept.

100_3685.JPG
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #19 - 08/10/15 at 03:06:21

Kenny G wrote on 08/07/15 at 11:31:15:
Build two of the scramblers and send me one....

Sorry for the late response, but am actually thinking about it! After the first one gets done it'd be fun to do a few extras to keep my hands busy.

pointman wrote on 08/08/15 at 10:17:03:
Here is my interpretation of the scrambler/tracker concept.

Interesting, looks cool! What mods did you make to the suspension and wheels?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/11/15 at 13:05:01

I just dont understand the
No front fender
approach . Ive had crud hit me in the throat and up under the chin and bounce off the helmet, rain, puddles, all kinda reasons to slap something on there.. Yeah, they look good naked,, but,, I, YMMV, but I Need that fender..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pointman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/14/15 at 20:00:36

I will probably add a fender this winter along with a  Forkbrace.  To Ferous, the rear shocks are ryca 13.5 center to center. The forks are raised 1.75 inches with a one inch spacer added to each fork leg to regain fork travel.

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #22 - 08/22/15 at 07:54:50

It is when you take on a project like this that you gain respect for people like Ryan and Casey over at RYCA, what they did is both highly inspirational and highly challenging if you intend to go down a similar route.
While anyone can do a nice rendering, it takes some effort to plan out the little details, but most of you probably know this already.

A scrambler is in many ways very different than a cafe racer, while a cafe was always meant to go fast a scrambler is a balance between practicality and functionality with a spritz of styling on top.

You want the riders footrests positioned in a way that is both comfortable and lets you stand up to control the bike in the rough stuff - you need mid controls positioned below the front edge of the seat, the narrowest point of the bike. In the end I've decided to work with RYCA's rearset brackets; available and sturdy and bolt a steel plate to the outside to move the controls forward enough to get those mid-controls and hopefully get comfy.
The classic scrambler would basically be fitted with high pipes if the owner judged the need for it. And since I don't intend on riding in 3 feet of water, I've elected against high pipes to begin with. For a muffler, RYCA again supplies a reverse cone repacked and baffled which should work well enough to begin with.  
RYCA elected to install 18" wheels front and back to get the cafe look, but on a vehicle destined to go off the beaten path, you really want an 17" rear and 19" front for the best variety of offered/onroad tires.

The bike itself has been a real trooper, have clocked some 500km on it up until now to get it a feel for where it's at. Only real hickup is the classic head plug leak, which I'll need to get fixed. For now I intend to ride while the heat is still in the air and begin on some cosmetic changes once the September rains rolls around. I'm not in a rush, would rather work out the details thoroughly before taking the plunge and doing something I'll regret.

For now here's my latest renderings of the concept, enjoy.

Suzuki-Savage-8SteelTracker.jpg
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #23 - 08/22/15 at 07:55:48

And here's another one in orange, just to show some contrast.

Suzuki-Savage-8FoxTracker.jpg
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #24 - 08/22/15 at 10:56:28

Are you fussed about being able to take passengers?

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #25 - 08/22/15 at 11:32:59

strang wrote on 08/22/15 at 10:56:28:

I wouldnt think that a scrambler-type cycle lends itself to passengers. The whole concept screams " a man and his bike and the big wide world!" to me Grin You dont build a scrambler for company....it's a "me me me!" bike.

Just my opinion of course...YMMV.

Btw FB, that orange rendering is just beautiful. I'm not a cafe' or scrambler type guy...I like slow and steady and comfort with just a tad of vibration to remind me I'm actually on a bike....but I would definitely BUY that bike. Maybe in canary yellow or a black-white checkered flag paint scheme Cool

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #26 - 08/22/15 at 11:38:48

I agree.
So lose the 2 person seat, chase this vibe, easier and cooler.
I've got a girl and she wants to come riding so I've done a brat seat.

bsa_scrambler.jpg
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #27 - 08/22/15 at 11:40:49

or this.
Hell that even looks like a savage stock tank.
I recon a tweek of commander chaos build gets you a hassle free scrambler build.

fs_7467741-284-1.jpg
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #28 - 08/22/15 at 11:47:02

Ferrous, if you go moving the ryca footpegs you will end up having to move the whole stock muffler position. I wish I'd just imported a set of their pegs but I stubbornly wanted mid-controls. Would have been riding a long time ago if I'd just gone with their cafe position and stayed stock muffler. Hell if you stay stock tank, what are you doing - sprung seat, change shocks, chuck some knobblies on there, paint, ride!
I think it's good idea throwing photo shop ideas around for a while, will save you a lot of time in the long run.

scrambler_hack_job.jpg
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #29 - 08/22/15 at 12:57:49

strang wrote on 08/22/15 at 10:56:28:

To me Scramblers are just as much about practicality as ball out fun in the dirt, besides if my girl wants inn on the vibrations who am I to judge Wink

Quote:
Ferrous, if you go moving the ryca footpegs you will end up having to move the whole stock muffler position. I wish I'd just imported a set of their pegs but I stubbornly wanted mid-controls. Would have been riding a long time ago if I'd just gone with their cafe position and stayed stock muffler. Hell if you stay stock tank, what are you doing - sprung seat, change shocks, chuck some knobblies on there, paint, ride!

That depends on your definition of mid controls I think. These might be more rear-mid. Most scramblers seem to have their pegs directly below the 'waist' of the bike, just between the tank and seat so you can easily stand up and shift your weight. To achieve this on a set of RYCA controls with a stock tank, you'd only need to move the pegs forward about 2-3", just behind the engine.
With a 3rd party slimmer tank on the other hand I agree that a more forward position would be more advantageous, but I think the design of the stock unit is actually rather well thought out, plus if I ever decide to get a bar mounted speedometer I'd have a nifty cup holder.

Quote:
Btw FB, that orange rendering is just beautiful. I'm not a cafe' or scrambler type guy...I like slow and steady and comfort with just a tad of vibration to remind me I'm actually on a bike....but I would definitely BUY that bike. Maybe in canary yellow or a black-white checkered flag paint scheme Cool

Thanks man! Hey, it'd be your bike, if you wanted lime green stripes and a cherry on top you got it  Wink

« Last Edit: 08/22/15 at 14:43:57 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 03:05:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Concept

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.