Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Moving stock speedometer (Read 262 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Moving stock speedometer
07/31/15 at 11:08:30

How much trouble would it be to move the stock speedometer to the handle bars? I guess the only thing I would need to worry about are the wiring for the lights and the proper length of cable to drive the needle, right?

I'm tired of looking down at the speedo and don't want an aftermarket speedo that reads 160 mph on a bike that's barely capable of 90!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Moving stock speedometer
Reply #1 - 07/31/15 at 11:50:14

I think you'll find most bar mounted units are fed from the front tire.
Imagine the cable and the routing and the action of turning and what that would do. And the cosmetics.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 07/31/15 at 14:49:49

Cosmetics I can take care of. I was just wondering if the cable routing would chew up the ends of the cable or something. It's probably not the best idea.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/31/15 at 15:01:55

Maybe build a mount off the frame and bring it up near the front of the tank?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #4 - 07/31/15 at 15:10:02

RYCA makes a bracket; sells a Speedometer and sells a longer cable so you do not have to use front wheel.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 07/31/15 at 16:46:31

But the Ryca speedo has waaay too high of a maximum speed.  I wouldn't use over half the gauge. I'm just looking for some options.

IP Logged
05ss45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/31/15 at 18:13:33

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as i am debating where to move the speedo. I might just go with the higher mph one.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 07/31/15 at 18:50:30

Securing a much longer cable might be an issue and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room on the stock bars for the instrument and its associated paraphernalia, if you intend keeping the surround. A possible solution might be to see if you can find a speedo off an older 250-350 cc bike that only reads to 100mph or less and see if you can have it calibrated to suit the S40.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/03/15 at 16:13:12

The RYCA cable is $60...pricey.  Maybe just use a cable extension like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-SPEEDOMETER-CABLE-EXTENSION-black-custom-chopper-s...

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 08/03/15 at 18:32:33

I saw a post/thread the other day from seviersavage where he moved the stock speedo to the handlebars but I can't find it now and he hasn't been online for a while.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/03/15 at 18:54:10

There are a bunch of electronic options these days, and mounting a magnet and a sensor is not a big deal.  They also have a lot of features on some of them like trip mileage, a clock, engine temp, outside air temp, max speed, a tach, etc.  The good news is the speed is programmable and you can get it exact.....and each time you change a tire or gearing you can make corrections for your speed.  The Trail Tech Vapor is about $ 120 in the basic form, and about $ 50 more with the dashboard that has indicator lights (that are hard to see in sunlight).

Another option is the GPS speedometers, and they are getting more affordable.  The only problem I have had with my GPS is when we were riding at the Dragon.....sometimes it took a while for the speedometer to lock into the satellites and show a speed, as the steep hills and tree cover sometimes made it hard for it to lock onto the satellites.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 08/03/15 at 19:02:12

I've been looking at the Speedhut gauges but if I get a speedo, I'll have to get a tach. It's just how I am! I wouldn't really use it for anything - I just like to watch the needle move!  Cheesy

The great thing about Speedhut is that I can get a speedo that reads 80 mph! That means that about 90% of the gauge sweep would be useable for me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/04/15 at 03:20:01

Kris01 wrote on 08/03/15 at 19:02:12:
I've been looking at the Speedhut gauges but if I get a speedo, I'll have to get a tach. It's just how I am! I wouldn't really use it for anything - I just like to watch the needle move!

You can get them both in the same unit.

28ibzaw.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/04/15 at 16:30:00

I've thought about the same thing, but a huge consideration (and probable expense) is what to do with the "hole" you create in the tank.

Concerning the digital spedo units,  I was talking just a few days ago with a guy who has one, and he claims that in many instances it's hard to read due to lighting.  He said bc of glare or other factors he often can't see the numbers.  Just an FYI as I have no 1st hand experience.

Edit:  Dave is that combo unit mounted on a savage!  Looks sweet.  Do you know where it was sourced?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 08/04/15 at 18:04:38

It's a speedhut gauge. It's also somewhere in the neighborhood of 5" or so. I was wanting something a lot smaller...like around 2.25". You can't get the combo gauges without going to a very large gauge.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:31:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Moving stock speedometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.