Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gas tanks (Read 567 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Re: Gas tanks
Reply #30 - 08/26/15 at 19:07:12

Bought the vn tank and it wont go straight on cos of the the two bars which stick out of the frame which the rubber circular thingys go on for siting the original tank and as I only want the vn tank on while my tank is in the paint shop I think I'll leave any modding of frame or the vn tank til later - by the way are the two rods for the rubber wotsits ( sorry for all the technical words ) hollow or solid,cheers all ps JutMan not sure about the gv250 idea but someone will probably be along later with the answer cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 08/26/15 at 22:19:53

They are solid.  You'll need to cut the stock tank supports off.  you'll need to fab replacements for the new tank.

If the new tank has the same horseshoes for the rubber tank dampers, then there's a couple of ways to make new ones.

I found the rubber dampers will stick on the head of a 5/16" allen head bolt.  If you get a 1" diameter aluminum spacer, 1 with a 5/16 hole thru the other threaded for the bolt.  Measure the distance between the horseshoes.   Subtract the width of the frame, divide by two.  That's the length of the spacers.

You can tape the dampers on the tank and place the tank on the frame.  use spacers to get the tank where you want it.  Mark the spacer location on the frame and remove the tank.  Place the spacer on the frame to locate the hole and drill a hole thru as square as you can.

WWW   IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #32 - 08/27/15 at 07:49:13

Steddy58 wrote on 08/26/15 at 19:07:12:
all ps JutMan not sure about the gv250 idea but someone will probably be along later with the answer cheers

I was looking and there are lots of the sending units on ebay and some gauge clusters.  I will have to find a cheap savage tank to play with.  There is a nice flat spot on the opposite that may be enough to place the sending unit then mount the gauge on the handlebars.

I looked at the other virgo? mentioned as well.  The tank looks good with modification, but the problem is the gauge which is custom to the cluster.  There is an aftermarket gauge that also includes a tach which would be nice as long as you can figure out how to hook up the tach.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:36:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tanks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.