Send Topic Print
Header? (Read 96 times)
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Header?
07/30/15 at 17:51:07

I am a new rider, so please forgive my ignorance. I recently purchased a 2000 SL650 Savage w/8,100 mi. for $1000 (winning) I noticed that the (header) seems to be discolored and dented. I plan on polishing this bad boy up until its blinding, but I don't think this spot can be polished. Would anyone happen to know the best replacement part, or simply where I could find one? Google is not making this easy on me.

muff.jpg
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: muffler?
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 18:10:37

That looks like the header rather than the muff.  You might find one in hte marketplace section where someone has done their own thing or is parting out a bike.

I don't see any way you're going to polish that out.

Oh, and welcome to the board.  The guys here know more about this bike than the dealers ever will.  Any problems, post before going to the mechanic and see what the gurus think.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: muffler?
Reply #2 - 07/30/15 at 18:20:35

ok, so it's a header and not a muffler. Thank you for that info. I will scour around for a replacement header.

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Re: Header?
Reply #3 - 07/30/15 at 18:27:00

Yup, that's the header pipe you have shown... the muffler is just to the left in your pic. Nice thing about these bikes, the whole exhaust is only two pieces... nice and simple. Smiley

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/30/15 at 19:45:20

Before you go wild on the elbow grease, hang out, read, RIDE,
Riders Safety Course

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 07/30/15 at 20:10:10

Replacements that I've seen don't look much better. Try a local mufler shop to see if they can build one for you for a decent price.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/30/15 at 20:19:46

given what you're going after, I'd go Raask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgXjyy36aY

WWW   IP Logged
05ss45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/31/15 at 06:48:37

Go custom!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/31/15 at 09:47:43

Have you considered hunting for motorcycle junkyard? Maybe just get a pipe made at the muffler shop and get it ceramic coated or chromed?
I'll say this to a new rider.
Before you drop a ton of Money and Time into making it sexy, get five thousand miles on it. That will be enough time to figure out what it Needs, if anything, so you'll know it's gonna last long enough to be worth it AND, If you drop it, it won't be right after you did all that work.
I'd get it running and get it performing to Your satisfaction, then start on cosmetics.
A  safety course is highly recommended.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Simpsonj06
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/31/15 at 10:25:33

Thanks for all the info guys. I contacted RAAS and ordered one of their very expensive exhausts ($415+95 shipping) I should maybe clarify that i'm new to the Suzuki Savage, not riding in general.  I've been riding for 10 years and taken multiple safety course, but mostly sport bikes. I'm a bit older now and speed is no longer cool to me. I want to make it look showroom good as a way to keep busy on the weekends and show off to the coworkers. Again, thanks for all the great advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/31/15 at 11:26:57

Yep, that is a notable difference. And,yeah, they are pricey.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.