Send Topic Print
Maintenance Schedule (Read 110 times)
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Maintenance Schedule
07/30/15 at 06:07:54

I searched and did not find a reference to a Maintenance Schedule.  I know what the book typically says, but I see more knowledge here that is sometimes in the books.  I was looking for a single sheet I would print or forum post that would have all the "general" maintenance sometimes outside of the normal. I see at lot of information, but each time i come here and browse through the posts there is always another thing that I need to make a mental note to check.

Does anyone have their own sheet or something they could share?  

Overall topics would be something like:

1. Check
Oil - Daily before riding
Battery - Check water level (interval ?)
Valves - Adjust 5,000 miles
Brake Fluid - Check window

2. Lube
Swing Arm - ????
Clutch Cable - 5,000 Miles
Rear Brake Cable - ??? Miles

3. Refill
Brake Fluid - Change but never top off (shows break wear)

4. Replace
Oil - 3,000 Miles
Brake Fluid - Less than 5 years, or if discolored (brown/orange/milky)
Rear Brakes - Wear gauge on rear hub
Front Brakes - ???
Fork Fluid -  ???

« Last Edit: 07/31/15 at 07:29:29 by JutMan »  

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Maintenance Schedule
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 06:56:12

My maintenance schedule is.......winter.

I ride about 3,000 miles a year on the Savage, and I do an oil change before the bike is put away for the winter, and one in the summer before I go on the Dragon trip.  My bike is stored inside and only ridden in dry weather....except for when I get caught in the rain while chasing Oldfellor and MMRanch around the mountains.

Changing brake fluid should be done every couple of years....no longer than 5 years - if the fluid in the sight glass is not clear and is getting milky or orange colored....it is time to flush it out.

If your bike is stored outside, ridden in a lot of wet weather, or on dusty roads....you may need to clean and lube more frequently.  Same with the air filter....dirty/dusty riding will require more frequent attention.  A schedule from a book doesn't really take into account your riding conditions.  I tend to tinker on the bike when I have 15 minutes before dinner or bedtime....and I will remove a clutch lever and clean and lube the pivot points, and get the quick and easy things done when time allows.  Same with checking the air in my tires or the water level in the battery....or the engine oil level.  Major things like removing the rear wheel and cleaning and lubing the brakes is a winter project.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/30/15 at 07:30:59

Check oil every few days, and immediately after a good hard ride that saw high RPM.  An identical run on fresh oil , on mine, YMMV, wouldn't use hardly any, but once I had 1500/1800 miles on the oil, consumption increased. I carried a little 2 stroke oil container with a tip from a 90 weight, rear end oil jug and a short piece of wood with a slot to put on the oil fill plug. I finger tighten it, but, needed help getting it loose, especially hot, pliers goober it up. The oil usage rate was something I was never at ease with once I had miles on the oil. The oil in the two stroke oil container got used several times. If you're on the road and low on oil and no MC shops are open, hit the Wal-Mart or parts store, a cheap oil with low standards and No Friction modifiers beats low( oil not in the window ) oil. The oil is part of the cooling, or so I've heard.
Valves, check every five thousand. Once you have twenty thousand on it the tips of the adjusters will be mushroomed and work hardened. I had a Stage One cam and adjusted them on the tight side of specs.it's my opinion that that decreased the SLAP of the tip hitting the valves and gave me another
1.5ish thousandths of lift.

I recommend a pigtail to the battery. I bought two wire connectors and cut the clips off of the float charger. The charger just plugged in. Also provided a real easy voltmeter connection. Check any time you have a problem. Check when you park after a good ride. Check again next day. See how it's acting now, while it's good. Then, as it ages, you'll know. It's okay to write stuff down. Packing tape secures and protects  notes on a wall.

I never add brake fluid to anything. It shows pad wear.
Get a big syringe and suck the fluid in. Compare to the color of new.
If it's brown, dump it..
Beware, the master cylinder is a mean dude if you let it drain and lose prime. Take the lid off, crack the bleeder, poke tubing on, quart jar, keep adding till it's flushed.

Notebook
Start list and any details.
Play with it, refine it, then type and print.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/30/15 at 11:44:48

Related question here.
My bike is now over 8K miles and 6K of that is from me in the year that I've owned her.
I bought cable lube and the adapter but have a question on the process.  Do you disconnect the cable from both ends to lube it, leave it connected at the bottom end or completely remove the cable to lube it?
I know one recommendation is to remove it and soak it in a pan of oil but I'm not going that route.
Same or similar question(s) for the rear brake cable.  Lube that one, too?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #4 - 07/30/15 at 18:35:59

I'm with Dave on this... I keep up on the "small stuff" during the summer, try to save the big jobs for winter.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/31/15 at 04:43:12

Tocsik wrote on 07/30/15 at 11:44:48:
Related question here.
My bike is now over 8K miles and 6K of that is from me in the year that I've owned her.
I bought cable lube and the adapter but have a question on the process.  Do you disconnect the cable from both ends to lube it, leave it connected at the bottom end or completely remove the cable to lube it?
I know one recommendation is to remove it and soak it in a pan of oil but I'm not going that route.
Same or similar question(s) for the rear brake cable.  Lube that one, too?

The only cable you can lube easily is the clutch.   Disconnect at both ends.  Lube it from the top (obviously).
You disconnect from the bottom so you can move the cable inside the sheath to work the lube down the cable.  
Squirt the lube for about 2 seconds.  Work the cable a bit, give it another squirt.  Repeat until you get lube coming out the bottom.
OH.. and have rags available.  It is a messy job.   Cheesy

To lube the rear brake cable, you pretty much need to take it all the way off to do a good job.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:16:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maintenance Schedule

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.