Runs only with choke. (Read 169 times)
J.D.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Runs only with choke.
07/27/15 at 17:34:17

Hello,
After a new battery and fresh gas, I just got our 1998 Savage running after a year.
But it will only run at half to full choke at idle. If I try to add throttle it wants to die or if I take away choke it wants to die.
Ideas?
Thanks JD

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Runs only with choke.
Reply #1 - 07/27/15 at 18:16:09

I would start by pulling the carb and giving it a good cleaning.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/27/15 at 19:35:08

Have you tried it on prime?
Did you dump the crap outta the carb bowl or have you run it enough to run through that?

98 model,
Miles?
History?

Sea Foam MIGHT help, but it sure sounds carb related.
Extended time in storage and the fuel evaporates every time the carb bowl evaporates out,crap builds up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/28/15 at 04:11:11

Unfortunately, when left in storage with fuel in the float bowl.....the gasoline deteriorates and can corrode and gum things up.  The Pilot Jet sits in the bottom of the carb, and has a very tiny metering hole, and it can get plugged pretty easily, and it also controls the fuel flow at idle.

You most likely need a carb cleaning, and Sea Foam is not likely to clean out a jet that is plugged and cannot allow anything to flow through it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/28/15 at 15:35:26

I think Seafoam is pretty much just Kerosene with some other things thrown in for lubrication. If you can get Kerosene cheaper than Seafoam then scrub the carb with elbow grease and Kerosene. You'll have to do it by hand. I wouldn't just pour Seafoam in the tank and call it a day. It probably won't help.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Daren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bartlett  NH / Boston MA
Reply #5 - 07/28/15 at 19:02:44

Does it run when you switch petcock to "Prime"?
If yes then change petcock (preferably to yamaha manual)

IP Logged
J.D.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/01/15 at 08:38:34

Thanks for the replies.

It does run on prime.

The bike has 7000 miles and hasn't been ridden regular for over 5 years. The gas in it was 1 year old. I drained the whole system including the carb.

It sounds like I need to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.  Maybe replace the petcock also?

It is my wifes and I am trying to get it in shape to sell.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Daren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bartlett  NH / Boston MA
Reply #7 - 08/01/15 at 10:47:15

If runs fine on petcock in "prime" position then it is petcock. Change to manual raptor petcock. (Just search the forums, its 1/2 hour job to change it). I had the same issue, ran fine on prime, kept on dying in other positions.
Does it run smooth in prime? if not you  may have to clean carb too.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/01/15 at 11:19:13

Daren wrote on 08/01/15 at 10:47:15:
Change to manual raptor petcock. (Just search the forums, its 1/2 hour job to change it).

Really more like "less than 5 minutes" even if you don't know a screwdriver from a hammer. It's 2 bolts and a hose.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/01/15 at 19:20:21

Hearing about a bike sitting for years on end leaves a lump in my throat every time.

If I saw a listing for a 98 Savage that had been idle for 5 years I'm going to want to know the carb has been gone through.  Do both...Change the petcock and get the carb on the bench.  That's the very least you should do.  If you're trying to get a decent price there's a lot more that needs to be done but that's up to you.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/03/15 at 16:09:14

chzeckmate wrote on 08/01/15 at 19:20:21:
Hearing about a bike sitting for years on end leaves a lump in my throat every time.

If I saw a listing for a 98 Savage that had been idle for 5 years I'm going to want to know the carb has been gone through.  Do both...Change the petcock and get the carb on the bench.  That's the very least you should do.  If you're trying to get a decent price there's a lot more that needs to be done but that's up to you.

I have a newly formed opinion about a bike that has been in storage for a long time.  Do not change the oil or remove the oil filter before trying to start the bike.....and remove the spark plug and spray Sta-Bil Fogging Oil into the cylinder(s) a few days before you attempt to start the bike.

The fogging oil will lubricate the piston and cylinder which is most likely dry from being in storage.  Changing the oil and filter removes a lot of oil from the oil system and the bike will run dry for a brief period of time while the oil pressure is established.  Check the oil level and add oil as necessary, and then start the bike ....it is better to get the bike running with some oil in the system and old filter and get oil pressure as soon as possible.  Then once the engine is warmed up you can dump the old oil and change the filter.....the bearings, cam and piston now has a light coat of oil on it to protect it while the new oil is pumped into the replacement filter.  If you are really determined to do a good job of protecting the engine during start up.....you can remove the valve adjustment access covers and squirt some oil onto the camp and rockers.

http://www.coolridesonline.net/news-blog/how-to-maintenance-tips/the-proper-u...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/03/15 at 18:08:10

and blow the crud out of the cavity the spark plug sits in first.
Unless dirt belongs inside the cylinder

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 08/03/15 at 19:40:22

You really want to change the oil when it's warm anyway. The crud circulates in the warm oil instead of sitting somewhere inside the engine. If you change cold oil you're really not getting ALL the gunk out.

IP Logged
J.D.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/05/15 at 08:06:23

Thanks again for all the info.

I know the carb is a mikuni but what model? I am looking for a manual/parts breakdown on it.

Also is it easier to get the carb in and out with the Battery box removed? I would appreciate any tips that will make this go smoothly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/05/15 at 08:20:46

if it runs on prime, runs good, then it's the petcock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs only with choke.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.