Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suzuki's and cam chains... (Read 42 times)
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Suzuki's and cam chains...
07/26/15 at 19:44:25

I live on the big island of Hawaii, and there isn't a big selection of used bikes here. I'm 12 miles from Hilo. The HD dealer in Kona has a 2007 C50 Suzuki with about 12,000 miles on it for $3200 or make an offer. So, I started doing a bit of research on the C50, and M50. Both have incidents of apparent no grease or lube from the factory on the driveline splines, and/or seals going out letting water into the driveline causing rust/pitting/chunks, and ultimate splines grinding down.  The Volusia form suggests that, if an owner pulls the driveline at every rear tire change and inspects and lubes the driveline with grease, that the driveline will probably be all right.

But, the other problem showing up on this v-twin engine, is fairly early cam chains wearing out, making excessive noise, and needing to be replaced. Unlike the Savage/S40, where doing this work is pretty easy and straightforward, on the C50 and M50, the engine has to be removed and the cases split for access. Some owners have spent up to $2000 to have a dealer do this work, for parts and labor. Many on the Volusia riders forum are having to have this done at from 30,000-50,000 miles or so. I suppose, since on a v-twin you have two cam chains and tensioners and guides, that you have twice the chance of a problem. I think I read here that Suzuki had switched over to a Chinese made cam chain at some point. Maybe that's what happened on these v-twins?

Or, maybe 30,000-50,000 miles is the normal life for a cam chain?
 The simplicity of the S40 is looking more and more attractive.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Suzuki's and cam chains...
Reply #1 - 07/26/15 at 19:53:30

jjn wrote on 07/26/15 at 19:44:25:
I live on the big island of Hawaii, and there isn't a big selection of used bikes here. I'm 12 miles from Hilo. The HD dealer in Kona has a 2007 C50 Suzuki with about 12,000 miles on it for $3200 or make an offer. So, I started doing a bit of research on the C50, and M50. Both have incidents of apparent no grease or lube from the factory on the driveline splines, and/or seals going out letting water into the driveline causing rust/pitting/chunks, and ultimate splines grinding down.  The Volusia form suggests that, if an owner pulls the driveline at every rear tire change and inspects and lubes the driveline with grease, that the driveline will probably be all right.

But, the other problem showing up on this v-twin engine, is fairly early cam chains wearing out, making excessive noise, and needing to be replaced. Unlike the Savage/S40, where doing this work is pretty easy and straightforward, on the C50 and M50, the engine has to be removed and the cases split for access. Some owners have spent up to $2000 to have a dealer do this work, for parts and labor. Many on the Volusia riders forum are having to have this done at from 30,000-50,000 miles or so. I suppose, since on a v-twin you have two cam chains and tensioners and guides, that you have twice the chance of a problem. I think I read here that Suzuki had switched over to a Chinese made cam chain at some point. Maybe that's what happened on these v-twins?

Or, maybe 30,000-50,000 miles is the normal life for a cam chain?

You sure did a lot of typing before you nailed it.

Cam chain issues are just the way it is. The Verslavy tensioner mod is a game changer. The Savage, once sorted, is a fun ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:21:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki's and cam chains...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.