Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
running hot, and lean, I think.  thoughts? (Read 162 times)
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

running hot, and lean, I think.  thoughts?
07/25/15 at 19:02:26

I picked up a 2001 with ~2700 miles for my girlfriend.  (I already want my own to mod ryca style).  The bike was left non running for several years, I'm not sure how many, but at least 2, and based on mileage which I expect is correct never saw real regular use.  

So I've rebuilt the carbs and replaced  the main jet with a 150. Everything seems up to snuff to me, and was cleaned as I went.  It's all back together and has been around the block a few times.  At first the bike didn't want to idle but I adjusted the float and that helped.  It still seems to be running lean and hot.  Hot enough to discolor the pipe with just 15-20 minutes or run time, with slow <25 mph jaunts around the neighborhood.  

It idles a little slow by my ear, and only starts/runs with the choke open.  I've keep the engine speed up manually with the throttle, and have the idle speed screw all the way in, for max idle speed.

I removed the brass plug and have accessed the air/fuel mix screw and have it set at a middle distance b/w all the way in and out currently.  I thought middle ground was a decent place to start.

1st question... does screwing in or out make the mix "rich"  I've read several posts here but am still confused.  Reference to clockwise/counterclockwise would be appreciated.

I'm thinking perhaps the pilot jet or some other part of the carb is somehow still clogged and that's part of the reason it wont idle.
thoughts?

I'm approx 1K elevation, with stock air box and exhaust.

All thoughts/suggestions appreciated before I pull the carb to check it all out again tomorrow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: running hot, and lean, I think.  thoughts?
Reply #1 - 07/25/15 at 19:07:04

What gear is that
Under twenty five MPH
roll around the block in?
t idles a little slow by my ear, and only starts/runs with the choke open.  I've keep the engine speed up manually with the throttle, and have the idle speed screw all the way in, for max idle speed.

Full in on idle screw? Not normal, it otta be screaming.
Look at the petcock troubleshooting steps.
I'm not certain about rich ,lean, right ,left on the idle air..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/25/15 at 19:11:44

1st and 2nd gear, I may have briefly gotten to 3rd, but didn't stay long.  I wasn't wrapping out the engine by any means.  Edit.. or lugging it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/25/15 at 19:14:58

You were lugging it.
I Might get into second under twenty five, but I'd probably be just really easing into the gas.
If it's discolored , it's hot. You CAN blue the pipe in neutral,racking the gas . Ask how I know,,  
How is the acceleration
Backfires

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/25/15 at 19:16:17

I don't think so, it lugged a bit when I upshifted but I kept the engine speed higher than 1K for sure... well as sure as My ear can be

IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/25/15 at 19:18:52

At idle there is little to no difference with changes in the air/fuel mix screw.  Obviously I cant adjust it while moving.  Maybe some can but not me!  Grin

I replaced the petcock with a raptor version, as it seemed prudent.

It backfires at when backing off the throttle in neutral or while moving.  Cutting the throttle rapidly causes an almost immediate backfire.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/25/15 at 19:29:40

If it won't idle, then most likely it is a problem with the pilot circuit.  Were you able to look through the pilot jet and see a tiny bit of daylight before you put it back in the bike?  My best running was with a #150 main, #50 pilot, and 2 washers on the needle instead of the white spacer.

The idle mix screw leans the engine when turned in (clockwise), and richer when turned out (counterclockwise).  You should start at a 1.5 turns out setting, then set the screw by adjusting it while idling with the engine warm.  Turning the screw out more than 3 turns does nothing additional as the orifice is unrestricted after the needle is out that far.  The best running should occur somewhere between 1.5 - 2 turns from lightly seated.  If you have to turn the screw in less than 1.5 turns for best running the pilot jet is too big.....more than 32 turns out and the pilot jet is too small. -v1

Here is how you adjust the idle mixture screw.....the engine has to be warmed up and at a somewhat slow idle speed to be able to hear what is happening, you can turn the idle speed back up after you have made the adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/25/15 at 19:34:36

Be very gentle, the screw tip is fragile.

IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/25/15 at 19:35:16

Thanks Dave and Justin!  I'll check out the video next and then the idle tomorrow and update.  I didn't hold the pilot jet up to the light (wish I had now).

Edit:  I put the pilot back in without writing down the size.  I didn't do the spacer adjust as I only wanted to change one thing at a time.  I assume both are still stock, they looked to be untouched to me.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/26/15 at 09:42:20

Idle speed is adjusted with the knurled screw on the left, near the choke.
Keep idle above 1k...

Did you block the vac line with the Raptor switch?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/26/15 at 09:58:32

I don't remember where the vacuum comes from that raises the slide.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/26/15 at 10:50:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/26/15 at 09:58:32:
I don't remember where the vacuum comes from that raises the slide.

da' engine... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/26/15 at 12:19:19

Yeah, but how is it routed to get on the slide? Might hafta load the CD,,

IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/26/15 at 12:42:01

I haven't been able to pull everything off yet so I thought I'd check in before getting to work.  

After the raptor petcock I capped the vac line inlet to the right side of the carb.  I haven't plugged or reattached any vac lines to the engine.  Perhaps that's the issue.  I thought the vacuum line ran from the stock petcock to the right side of the carb only.  Am I missing a line from the engine somewhere?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/26/15 at 12:58:05

nof1 wrote on 07/26/15 at 12:42:01:
I haven't been able to pull everything off yet so I thought I'd check in before getting to work.  

After the raptor petcock I capped the vac line inlet to the right side of the carb.  

BINGO! that's all you have to do.  There's no other vac lines, only jog.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 14:35:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › running hot, and lean, I think.  thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.