Send Topic Print
Suzuki GZ 250 (Read 124 times)
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Suzuki GZ 250
07/24/15 at 20:38:46

hi there im looking to buy a beginners bike for a friend it will be her 1st bike

she will take the safety motorcycle course.

DOES ANYONE RECCOMEND THE SUZUKI  GZ 250

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Suzuki GZ 250
Reply #1 - 07/24/15 at 20:56:47

I considered one until I found out how small it really is. Have her sit on one to see if she fits. It's not a real highway friendly bike.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 07/24/15 at 22:21:03

The GZ 250 consistently ranks higher than the Honda rebel. It ranks higher with instructors. I have sat on both the Rebel and the GZ, and the GZ feels bigger. Wider front tire, a bit more comfortable riding position (I'm 5' 11"").

The GZ 250 is actually a lot more like our Savage than the Rebel. Power is reportedly better at low and mid-range speeds but the bike (like all 250's) suffers in the 55+MPH zone. Wheel base is the same as the rebel, and the GZ is only a few lbs heavier. The Rebel gets better milage by more than 10%.

Overall, the GZ felt pretty comfy to me. I only took it around the parking lot, but it handled well at low speeds. Seems like a very nice beginner bike.

Here's a link that may be helpful.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/beginner-motorcycles-comparison-honda-250-re...

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/25/15 at 03:44:05

I have never ridden the TU250, GZ250 or the Rebel - but I did have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 dual sport.  It was a nice bike for back roads and could go up to 60 mph reasonably.....it could not be used on the highway for any distance at all.

If you can get her through the Motorcycle safety course and let her learn on their small bikes, I believe you should consider buying a used 250 Ninja for her to get some miles under her belt.  They are reliable, plentiful, cheap to purchase and keep, and you can find some really nice ones with a bit of looking (their are a lot of beat up ones out there).  The bike handles great, is really good around town, and can go 70 - 80 down the interstate without a problem.  Below 8,000 rpm the bike is very docile and the engine is smooth and just what you would expect out of a 250.....from 8,000 to 14,000 the engine comes alive and makes far more HP than you will get from a 250 single.

I bought a 2000 Ninja 250 and it is a really fun bike to ride.  I normally take it on quick trips around town for errands, or when the weather is iffy and I don't want to get my Savage dirty. I get 70+ mpg on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/25/15 at 07:29:43

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/24/15 at 22:21:03:

Buncha pictures, no actual article
I had a rebel250, it was a good around town bike and would do highway riding (It was WFO at 70 with me on it, but it'd do that all day)
Honestly, the Sagave and the Rebel are almost of a size / weight, just the savage has more motor (and a few more lbs)
I can't speak on the GZ, never been on one, but I doubt a single is as fast as a twin, most singles in the 250 range I've been on are all in at 60 or so
The TU 250 I like the looks of, as I really prefer Standards to Cruisers, but can't speak to it's performance

IP Logged
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gz 250 opinions
Reply #5 - 07/25/15 at 04:56:19

ok I saw your guys response thank you.
my friend is she 5"4 125 lbs. thin lady..

it comes down to the rebel the gz 250 or vstar 250
she just goanna use it for commute around town.
so any ideas on those models they all seem the same just about ..

does the gz 250 have popping problems like the s40 L650

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: gz 250 opinions
Reply #6 - 07/25/15 at 05:46:18

If there is anything you can do to get her some dirt bike riding experience
it will help.And since she is so small, definitely start with the bike that won't drag her down if it leans a bit . I dropped or nearly dropped the Zuki several times as I stopped, sand in the road, front brake, going so slowly I was standing over the thing. Or, foot down on loose gravel,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/25/15 at 05:48:22

Myself, I think the V-Star 250 looks the best of those three.  The salesman at the local dealer sells all three of those but seems to prefer the V-Star.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 07/25/15 at 06:33:44

I sat on the v-star 250 and it felt absolutely tiny to me but very heavy. I haven't ridden any of the three. The rebel felt ok...a little small but ok. It's a typical Honda. It might not be the prettiest or the fastest but it just keeps on going. I have never actually seen a GZ or TU in person. The reviews are all good. They all say it is not good for anything but short highway rides but is great around town.

Give some serious thought to the Ninja 250. Like Dave said, it's docile and predictable at the lower revs. It handles great. Great mileage. Dependable, plentiful, cheap. And, it is quite capable on the highway although a little buzzy. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam...feels a little crunched up but is still a nice ride.  It's sprung for a light-weight so the suspension tuning should fit her well too. Iron Butt challenges have been done and completed on it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/25/15 at 06:54:49

I had a 250Rebel, it was a good bike
Smooth engine, reliable, 60-70 MPG
and while it's topped out at highway speed, it's nice and smooth there and will run WFO all day with no issues
It likes to rev, and the oil should be changed every 1000 for best results due to no oil filter (upside, oil change is easy peasy)
I dunno much about the other two
The Ninja 250 is a good bike too, if she's comfortable with the higher seat (29" IIRC, but i could ne wrong there) and it'll keep up with a Savage while getting 65-70 MPG

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 07/25/15 at 19:19:16

I have owned both the rebel 250 and the gz 250, both are about the same in size, the rebel was shall I say, problematic with breathing issues for the carb and tended to be sluggish at times.
the GZ 250 I never had a problem with, except that after 55mph, you had better be going downhill to get anymore speed.
After I removed the rebels air filter and just let it breathe it would run 65 all day long (but I wouldn't do that, poor thing was screamin' its guts out), I actually broke the speedo cable at the wheel running it flat out.
The GZ was a bit more comfortable to ride (i'm 5' 10", 170ish lb.) and "looked" like a bigger bike from a distance, but when you sat on it, you realized it wasn't big at all.
I think both bikes would suit her well as a beginner bike.
Just get one in fairly good condition so you can get a good return for you money when she gets a larger CC bike.
LOL, I actually miss both those bikes, I drilled out the exhaust on the GZ and it was slightly peppier, and when I removed the rebels air filter, it ran better.
Its a toss up, but out of the two, I would probably go with the GZ, as I never had a running issue with it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/25/15 at 20:14:14

we went and looked at one today rides fine , but it needs tune up and new chain that's about all
has 6,000 miles .

the sellers asking 1300.00

you think if I talk him down to 800.00 that be a good deal I hope.lol Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/27/15 at 09:41:01

Of the 4 baby bikes listed, in order, the value for dollar is Ninja, Rebel, V-Star, GZ.

It is almost impossible to kill the baby Kawasaki or the Rebel. The V-Star can be tempermental. The GZ, like all Suzuki cruisers, needs a lot of tlc and tinkering to make it dependable.

In today's market, the Savage, the VLX600, and the V-Star 650 are the beginner cruisers. Of those 3, bang for the buck is VLX for its reliabilty, but, it can't get out of its own way. Nicer frame, nicer tins, more aesthetically "correct" powertrain. That said, I currently have 2 Savages. Much more user friendly in terms of ergonomic modifications. I wouldn't have a 650 V-Star on a dare, an 85cc 2 stroke will hand it its ass.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/27/15 at 17:53:23

I rode with a guy who had a V star, once. He was all smiles as we donned helmets, pulled on the gloves..
Those things are gutless.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:19:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Suzuki GZ 250

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.