Send Topic Print
Oil Leak (Read 54 times)
Daniel1990
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil Leak
07/24/15 at 13:13:46

Hey Guys, New to the forum and first time rider this summer.  Picked up and 83 Savage, with now 16,000 miles on it.  Runs like a champ and have had no problems with it.  

Only issue is that I have a pretty consistent oil leak.  It never really seems to add up to much but when I shut it down i'll tend to find 3-5 oil drips below the bike.  The leak slows as it cools but i'll still find oil spots.

So is this something to worry about or should I just accept it since its an older bike?  Anyone else find this?  Im still very new to bikes and the mechanics but I'm learning.  Thanks for any help

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 07/24/15 at 13:18:30

If the drip is at the front of the bike, check that the bolts holding the footpeg mounts are tight.  The engine case can leak if the bolts are loose.

If the drip is from the rubber tube from the air cleaner box - it is supposed to have a plug in that tube.  The air cleaner box has a reservoir to catch any oil mist that comes from the engine breather.  You only remove the plug when you do an oil change and drain the reservoir in the Air cleaner.

If the drip is from the front pulley area, you better check and make sure your pulley nut is tight.  If the nut is loose the shaft can become worn, and the engine will be effectively ruined.  (Unless you are the type that likes removing the engine and splitting the cases to put in a new transmission shaft).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/24/15 at 13:36:04

Daniel1990 wrote on 07/24/15 at 13:13:46:
Hey Guys, New to the forum and first time rider this summer.  Picked up and 83 Savage, with now 16,000 miles on it.  Runs like a champ and have had no problems with it.  

Typo? our bike is made from 86 to present.

but there was a 250 2 stroke called the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Daniel1990
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/27/15 at 14:20:13

Yes Sorry its an 86! I dont know why I wrote 83

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 07/27/15 at 15:00:50

Do you have oil on the cylinder cooling fins?
Could be a head plug leak.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/27/15 at 16:05:51

The parking garage, the drive thru, they have a gizmo, hanging,,, if you hit THAT, you're not far from something either more solid or costly. That mileage is saying, check out the tensioner.
Where is the leak?
If it's the bottom,then tighten the peg bolts .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:20:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.