Clutch slippage. (Read 160 times)
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch slippage.
07/21/15 at 18:22:41

Hey guys, looking for advice.

2002 savage with 25.5k miles.

I think I have some clutch slippage because around 55 - 60 MPH when I give it gas the engine RPM increases fine, but with very little increase in speed. Ill bring it up another 1k RPM for like 5mph increase.

I have used either Shell Rotilla or Valvoline V Twin oil designed for wet clutches. Occasionally a little Lucas Oil but not to much.

I am thinking the friction plates are worn and the clutch may be slipping (I might be wrong on this but it is my best guess) so if it is true, is it best to replace the friction disks and the metal plates or is just the friction disks fine?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch slippage.
Reply #1 - 07/21/15 at 18:28:15

How long has this been going on?
How much free play is in the clutch lever?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/21/15 at 18:47:53

Hey Justin, to be honest I have only recently noticed (Within 3 months or so) because I did not often take it on the highway and get to those speeds.
I tried adjusting the clutch lever and it has maybe 1/8" play or so.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 07/21/15 at 18:59:52

From what I've learned from this site, if you do replace the clutch, don't try to "improve" it with stiffer springs, etc. It'll lead to explosive clutch failure. Just stick with the standard replacement stuff.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/21/15 at 19:27:51

The more it happens, the less likely you are to not buy parts.

I dunno about that Lucas stuff.

Rotella is proven to keep these things alive.
Your
Not too much
may have not been correct.

There's one guy here who has made a real study of clutch plates. People sent him plates they replaced. Several have flushed out and saved them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/21/15 at 19:49:38

check the position of the clutch lever arm...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1377479692/0

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/21/15 at 21:04:00

tried adjusting the clutch lever and it has maybe 1/8" play or so.

As long as it has slack...

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/21/15 at 22:07:05

verslagen1 wrote on 07/21/15 at 19:49:38:
check the position of the clutch lever arm...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1377479692/0

With the slack fully out of the lever (pushing up slightly) the bottom edge of the lever sits slightly above the lower line. So it is sitting a bit lower than the picture on the thread you linked.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/22/15 at 03:54:18

Iceman4193 wrote on 07/21/15 at 18:22:41:
Occasionally a little Lucas Oil but not to much.

Since the adjustment and clutch rod appear to be OK....the clutch is not worn.  You have contaminated it with "friction modifiers".

Take the clutch apart and scrub the plates with Simple Green, Purple Power or a similar cleaner.  Get several pieces of 360 or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  Lay the sandpaper on a flat surface and then rub the fiber discs lightly on the sandpaper until the shine is gone, then do a similar cleaning on the steel discs using a Brillo Pad or Scotch Bright.  Clean off the plates again, dry them off, and then put a light coat of oil on the plates and put the clutch back together.

From now on......no Lucas or other oil additives except some Redline ZDDP if you want to add it.  Only use oils that are compatible with wet clutches.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #9 - 07/22/15 at 04:44:52

Posted by: Kris01      Posted on: Yesterday at 18:59:52
From what I've learned from this site, if you do replace the clutch, don't try to "improve" it with stiffer springs, etc. It'll lead to explosive clutch failure. Just stick with the standard replacement stuff.  

Is this an isolated incident with the trowout arm being made of sintered meta and the heavier clutch springs damaging it?  I know Lancer is running the heavy duty barnett clutch springs and hasn't had a problem. Verslagen, Dave have you ran heavier springs? If so did you use washers with them? Or a new billet machined throwout arm? Whose engine got grenaded on here from using heavier springs? Just curious, as I have the rbc clutch plates and barnett springs on mine haven't got to the piont of running yet. But have a couple grand in the engine as it sits and dont want to grenade it if i can.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/22/15 at 05:31:15

I have the stock clutch plates and stock springs and I don't have any clutch slippage with my modified motor and taller gearing.  I only use Rotella T and an ounce of Redline ZDDP with each oil change.

Most of our bikes can slip the clutch if you accelerate hard before the engine is warmed up - the thick oil between the plates provides less ability for the clutch to grab until the oil warms up and things out.

I believe JOG had a clutch pivot come apart after placing a washer under his clutch springs.

I bought some new "10% stiffer" springs and a set of Kevlar friction discs - but I have not yet installed them and cannot comment on them being any better (or not).  I am currently running on the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mode.....my stock clutch is working fine.

REMEMBER - All those oil additives that make the oil more slippery, more energy efficient, or more clingy might be good for the bearings and cylinder - but they most likely will not be good for your clutch!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 07/22/15 at 07:39:42

Something I've always wondered about with wet clutches, if the oil lubes the transmission/clutch and catches a lot of dust from same, it gets circulated through the engine's bearings (assuming the oil filter doesn't catch it). This can't be good.

Has any manufacturers bike ever had any problems with bearing failure due to clutch friction material eroding the bearing surfaces?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/22/15 at 07:44:50

wolfsgrin wrote on 07/22/15 at 04:44:52:

Is this an isolated incident with the trowout arm being made of sintered meta and the heavier clutch springs damaging it?  I know Lancer is running the heavy duty barnett clutch springs and hasn't had a problem. Verslagen, Dave have you ran heavier springs? If so did you use washers with them? Or a new billet machined throwout arm? Whose engine got grenaded on here from using heavier springs?

I put the heavier springs on my '96 and the throwout arm did crack.  But I replaced it with another stock arm and it's been fine (knock knock) ever since.

My feeling on this is if you maintain the correct geometry on the throwout arm, you'll maximize leverage and travels such that heavier springs aren't needed.  I will custom grind the throwout rod so the ends are spherical.  I also will fit the rods so there is 12 to 12.5mm extended out of the clutch pack.  13mm is too long and will bottom out throwing out the clutch permanently.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/22/15 at 08:35:49

Kris01 wrote on 07/22/15 at 07:39:42:
Something I've always wondered about with wet clutches, if the oil lubes the transmission/clutch and catches a lot of dust from same, it gets circulated through the engine's bearings

The "dust" from the friction plates is not gritty or abrasive, it is a soft material and most likely doesn't hurt a thing.  The fiber friction disc is lubricated and slides on the relatively smooth steel plate.....and it is more burnished than it is abraded away.......I really doubt that there is much of any material being worn away from the fiber disc.  The clutches that cause trouble most often are "burned" from being used while slipping.....the plates are seldom worn away like a "dry" clutch can be.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/22/15 at 11:59:27

Some reports of the throw out breaking by people who had done nothing.
If I intended to keep riding I dunno what I'd do. I'd hafta at least consider having one machined.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 09:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slippage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.