Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
handle bars / risers / etc (Read 195 times)
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

handle bars / risers / etc
07/21/15 at 11:08:25

After putting in some riding time, I tend to agree with some common sentiments, that the pull back in the bars is what needs to be adjusted, in addition to the width.

I am looking for suggestions, and or pictures of bars people have used in the past.

Feels like a set of bars that are just a bit wider, and straight, would make the feel much more natural.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Re: handle bars / risers / etc
Reply #1 - 07/21/15 at 11:18:22

Not sure what year you have, I have a 2005 with the drag bar style.  Fits me just fine.

WP_20150719_001.jpg

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/21/15 at 12:19:07

I have a 2008 with stock drag bars. Personally they are perfect for me.

dragon2841.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/21/15 at 12:41:20

Basics,

I have the factory bars on my 2013 S40, but I machined the risers down to have just the vertical rise. The way the factory risers are made, with the bend back, they were too cramped for me.

I am about 6' tall.

Below is a pic of the risers.

Kenny G

IMG_0409.JPG
  IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/21/15 at 12:51:13

I have a 2006 S40,  which I presume are the factory style of drag bars.  I either need to go to a straight bar, or wider.

IP Logged
Canadian_kiwi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/21/15 at 14:23:55

I've got a 2006 aswell and looking to get the zed bar from biltwel

IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/21/15 at 14:47:21

Kenny G wrote on 07/21/15 at 12:41:20:
Basics,

I have the factory bars on my 2013 S40, but I machined the risers down to have just the vertical rise. The way the factory risers are made, with the bend back, they were too cramped for me.

I am about 6' tall.

Kenny G

Cramped is a good word.  Overall they aren't bad, but I would prefer to have my arms wider, or a little further forward.   I am also 6' tall with broad shoulders

IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #7 - 07/21/15 at 18:23:32

I couldn't stand the buckhorn bars on mine. The RYCA Super Bar was a great $30 spent, along with 3-4" straight risers. 16mm deep sockets are fine for that unless you're making a sho'-nuff custom build.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/21/15 at 19:49:20

I had the same issue when I got my Savage. Mine is an older model(2003), with the buck horn pull-back bars and they were just NOT gonna work. My elbows always felt like they were in my ribs, especially on slow turns/parking lot maneuvering. My original bars were 27" or so wide. I'm 5' 11" tall with 25 inch sleeves.

I found that both the stock Harley Sportster 883 bars and the Triumph stock bars worked great for me. 31 1/2" wide on the Triumph bars (which is what I settled on) got my hands far enough apart to free up my elbows. I believe my bars are 1" dia., 5" rise, 9" pullback.

Since you started out with "drag" style bars to begin with, a pair of super-bike bars at about 30" or so wide might do the trick without messing with the risers at all. I'd suggest going to a dealer and sitting on a few bikes. Most have used trade-ins so you can get a pretty good idea of how far apart your hands should be for the best comfort. Then just stay away from the buck-horn (tips turn downward) type bars and stay in the 3.5" to 6" rise area and see how that feels. I wouldnt pay more than $40 for any bar...and you shouldnt have to for what you need. Plenty of $30 bars that would meet your needs.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/22/15 at 11:00:29

Harley Davidson Road King bars in 2 inch dog bone risers. Front of solo seat raised an inch or better. Longer shocks in the back, extra oil in the forks. Turned my 2003 "cute little toy motorbike" into an almost capable machine.

Have the same bars in 6 inch dog bones on another Savage project...

Neither are as comfortable as my 15 inch rise bars were, but...
...since this bike is a carcass due to an electrical failure (total meltdown) and is being turned into a tracker with 7/8" bars... the apes are long since swapped off for other parts. And yes, that is a fully functional Suzuki Titan 500 front drum with CB450 twin pivot  backing plate. Parts in that wheel are worth more than my full custom, daily rider black 2003 from the first picture.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
everettdale
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/24/15 at 23:11:48

Years ago I saw on this site where a guy mentioned using deep well sockets as risers. I did that and on the stock bars it fit me great and everyone was tickled with the deep well socket risers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 05:12:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › handle bars / risers / etc

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.