Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock spring/shock rate? (Read 68 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Stock spring/shock rate?
07/20/15 at 19:19:06

I've been reading up on the Progressive shocks that everyone seems to use. I guess the most common rate is probably the 90/130 or the 115/155. Before I say definitely what would be best for me, I'd like to know the stock rate so I can see what kind of difference it would make.

I took some VERY ROUGH measurements today and guess the stockers rate around 90 lbs/inch.

I'm not looking for opinons, just numbers. Anyone ever found a spec or measured their shocks?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stock spring/shock rate?
Reply #1 - 07/20/15 at 19:46:45

IDK the answer to your question
I do know the 90/130 is too light for me (230 lbs)
and the 115/155 is just right.

my guess is the stockers are between those.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 07/20/15 at 19:50:30

Using your example, the 90/130 may be right for my 180-ish lbs.

If my guesstimate of 90 lbs/in for the stockers is anywhere near correct then the added 130 lbs/in for the Progressives should actually be firmer under compression even though both start out at 90 lbs/in.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/20/15 at 20:11:29

the stockers at full hard are stiffer than the prog's at full.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/20/15 at 20:20:52

Speaking of... Can you explain the preload? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. If you adjust the stockers all the way, it just raises the ride height. That shouldn't effect spring rate. Am I looking at it wrong?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/20/15 at 20:29:02

I'm guessing at the actual numbers, but 90/115 can't be the spring rate.
so maybe those are the lbs at low preload and max preload.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 07/20/15 at 23:57:03

Kris01 wrote on 07/20/15 at 20:20:52:
Speaking of... Can you explain the preload? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. If you adjust the stockers all the way, it just raises the ride height. That shouldn't effect spring rate. Am I looking at it wrong?

I'm curious about this as well. At 195 lbs and 5' 11", the stock shocks at what I am assuming is the factory pre-load setting seem a bit "weak". By adjusting the pre-load setting higher, does it actually increase the height of the shock? Or does it just change the compression factor...

Any input, as usual...would be greatly appreciated.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/21/15 at 02:55:49

Kris01 wrote on 07/20/15 at 20:20:52:

Well it raises the stock height initially.....but once the shock is fully extended and against the bump stop then the preload begins to compress the spring and require more weight/pressure to make it compress any more.  When the bike is unloaded and on the kick stand it may be up against the bump stop.....but when you are seated and in the riding position I don't believe the shock should be up against the bump stop if you want the shock to absorb pavement ripples.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/22/15 at 20:43:51

I have an 07 with 11 1/2" Progrssives  and I have an 03 with stock shocks.  I think the progressives have a bit too much damping, but the overall handling is so sweet that it is not a big deal.  The stock shocks I think are near perfect.  But they should be an inch taller.  Yeah I know, picky picky.  Why would you want a gold star or an old Bonnie when you could have a Savage?  A Velo is about the only English single I have not owned.  A savage beats them all in my opinion.  We are soo lucky!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock spring/shock rate?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.