Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Runs great at 50-58 , pops when given more throttl (Read 190 times)
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Runs great at 50-58 , pops when given more throttl
07/20/15 at 14:47:09

On my 87 4 speed, I can run 50-58 ish all day but when I pish it to 60 its wicked loud and it usually pops which jerks it forward. I know I have a ways to go because I briefly open the throttle a lot and it sounds good. Like when it pops I'd open the throttle some more and it seems as if it briefly smooths out as I pass 63 ish but the slightest closing of the throttle results in the same backfire, almost as if its not backfire but its idk starving for fuel maybe? The petcock is the raptor with great fuel flow so that's not it. Idk. I'm planning on going on a 100 mile trip with around half of that on the highway behind my parents trailer so we won't be going over 60. So I should be fine but I don't know what is causing this. Its only when Im around between past a 1/2 and over 3/4 throttle it will do this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Runs great at 50-58 , pops when given more thr
Reply #1 - 07/20/15 at 15:31:06

Has anything changed? You do something? It's been running fine, just suddenly did this?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #2 - 07/20/15 at 15:37:23

No. Its always done this. I bought it at 19k. Did the cam chain mod at 20 thats about it. Changed spark plug when I first bought it, change oil every 750-1000 miles. guy I bought it from said "It's not really a highway bike, only does about 60-65" I have gone on the interstate, stayed in the right lane at a steady 65 did push it to almost 70 but felt I was pushing the bike hard. anyways yes it has always done this, sometimes when I just start it in the morning it wont, other times it will but usually it does this.

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #3 - 07/20/15 at 15:59:11

Half to three quarters throttle?
Search for 'white spacer mod'.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/20/15 at 16:52:24

I hope someone else is paying for the oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #5 - 07/20/15 at 17:27:26

Haha. At 4 bucks a quart it doesn't hurt to change it frequently, now every hundred would be different haha

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/20/15 at 17:58:57

Are you running an open pipe?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/20/15 at 18:29:07

The white space mod may be a start.....but at full throttle it should be able to go way past 60 and run smoothly......if the main jet is working properly.  (The needle jet/jet needle controls mid range mixture and can cause mid range surging......what happens if you hold the throttle wide open)?

I think you have a problem with your carb and it could use a cleaning.....and most likely it is the main jet circuit that is plugged and restricting the fuel flow.

You need to tell us that air cleaner and muffler you have.....then we can suggest some proper jetting to start with.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #8 - 07/21/15 at 03:08:24

I'm running apod filter and stick pipe. Previous owner debaffled and rejetted ( I assume got the debaffling) but I still know soon enough how he rejetted. Last night I took the bowl of and cleaned it out. Is there any method of cleaning it without removal and disassembly completely like running seafoam or anything of the sort because as of now I can get but with how it runs

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #9 - 07/21/15 at 03:10:46

When I go past half throttle and near full throttle it seems to smooth out and it surges forward and accelerates nicely but if I hold it in the area where it pops ot does just that, pops. Ive ran it at 68 ( might as well call or 70) sustained and it wasn't full throttle quite yet but it was nearing it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/21/15 at 04:01:45

What is a "stick pipe"?   Is it just a straight through piece of pipe without a baffle?  If so....that and the Pod filter are going to make it very difficult to jet and get it to run smoothly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

You also need to check and make sure the pod filter is not blocking the air vent at the top of the carb inlet.  Some of these pod filters block the oval vent at the top of the inlet and the carb slide cannot work properly.

If you take the float bowl off and can get the main and pilot jets out ad clean them, that may be adequate.  It really depends on what is making the bike run poorly.  Changing the white spacer on the slide needle to 2-3 washers may require you to remove the carb....however some folks have been able to rotate the carb and get the slide out of the carb.  The washers are #4 machine screw washers and are available at hardware stores that have a good selection of screws....or you can get the kit from Lancer that also includes gaskets and a selection of jets.

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #11 - 07/21/15 at 04:59:31

I replaced the pod with a new pod while back and I trimmed up the area that covered the little inlet, so that's fine. The stock pipe is literally the original muffler and I know some baffles were removed. So you can clean the main jet pilot jet ie get to them without removing and complete disassembly? I assume a simple cleaning would be the fix as there's nothing else wrong with it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 07/21/15 at 05:21:03

Remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Make sure that the jets are unclogged and that the float height is correct. On an older bike it probably wouldn't hurt to do a leak-down test, if for no other reason to rule out any potential compression or valve train issues.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/21/15 at 05:23:58

rtebbs8996 wrote on 07/21/15 at 03:08:24:
I'm running apod filter and stick pipe.

This is what had me confused......it appears you had a typo and meant to say "stock" pipe, not "stick" pipe.

IP Logged
rtebbs8996

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rowley massachusetts
Reply #14 - 07/21/15 at 05:36:39

How long does a carb cleaning take. Could I remove it night before and clean it in the morning put it back together and have it running by afternoon someday perhaps a weekend?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 07:17:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs great at 50-58 , pops when given more throttl

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.