Raptor Part Number.... (Read 145 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Raptor Part Number....
07/19/15 at 16:30:09

Looking for the Raptor part number, and do you get less range or the same with it? thanks

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Re: Raptor Part Number....
Reply #1 - 07/19/15 at 16:44:04

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K9I25C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d...

Are you referring to the range of the reserve?  If so, 15-25 miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/19/15 at 16:46:34

Miles per tank, same.
Miles on reserve, less.
Dave has a post that lays it out, but I don't know where.

Cheap ones, online, have skinny tubes.
Buying local, no surprises.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #3 - 07/19/15 at 17:43:38

Ok, just for the record, do I have to switch it to the "off" position when I shut it off so it doesnt flood the motor?

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/19/15 at 19:18:49

Yep, always best. I dunno if you HAVE to, but it's a good idea.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/19/15 at 19:27:36

IF the float valve in the carb is working right, and if the float level is right,no.
At night, when you park for the day, sure, but don't get neurotic.
If you ever check the oil and you have more than last time, then you really need to be studying the carb.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/20/15 at 03:39:16

savagerider87 wrote on 07/19/15 at 17:43:38:
Ok, just for the record, do I have to switch it to the "off" position when I shut it off so it doesnt flood the motor?

I don't shut mine off every time I stop to rest/eat/sight see - but you should be shutting it off when you park the bike for the night.

Shutting it off does several things:

1)  In case the carb needle/seat doesn't seal completely, it keeps you from filling up your air box or crankcase with a couple of gallons of gasoline.

2)  When your bike is parked, the fuel in the float bowl will slowly evaporate though the vents.  As the fuel evaporates the portions of the fuel that evaporate the quickest leave first.....and the ethanol stays behind.  Eventually the level in the float bowl will drop and the needle/seat will open and allow some fuel to flow in.  After this process is repeated several times the stuff in your float bowl is mostly ethanol and the gummy part of the fuel.  The ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and will attract moisture.....and it will be necessary that you take you carb apart to fix the damage.  (If you turn your petcock off....there will be far less fuel in the float bowl to allow the carb to be gummed up).

I have a routine on my way home at the end of each day.  When I turn the corner at the cross roads about a mile from my house I reach down and turn the petcock off.  By the time I reach my driveway and turn in the carb is out of fuel and the bike stops......I then coast down my driveway and put my bike away with a nearly empty carb.  That way I have reduced the chances of carb corrosion or jet clogging.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #7 - 07/20/15 at 08:47:43

I bought one from Amazon, but got the knock off, does the 1/4" fuel line rather than 3/8" cause any issues?

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/20/15 at 08:58:15

It can, and has, on several bikes
if it does, what you'll get is a bike that runs fine at lower RPM, but won't sustain higher RPM, s no highway riding
This is why we say always get the real deal, it's only, what, $5 diference or so?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/20/15 at 09:09:40

JutMan wrote on 07/20/15 at 08:47:43:
I bought one from Amazon, but got the knock off, does the 1/4" fuel line rather than 3/8" cause any issues?

It really can cause a problem if you feel you also need to add an inline fuel filter.....as the holes through the ends of a 1/4" fuel filter are really small once the thickness of the plastic filter housing is considered.  Several folks ended up with "air locks" where the fuel could not pass though the small openings....the air trying to travel upstream in the tubing would block the flow of the fuel trying to flow down.

The area of a 3/8" hole is 0.1104 square inches.
The area of a 5/16" hole is 0.0767 square inches.
The area of a 1/4" hole is 0.0491 square inches.

So.....the 5/16" is only 70% of the area of the 3/8" hole, and the 1/4" is only 44% of the 3/8" hole.  This can make a big difference in flow volume.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/20/15 at 09:40:08

How long have you been running it? See any downside?
Extended high RPM, extended high power needs, like climbing a long hill, the fuel use might be more than the flow rate through the petcock.
Lower fuel level in the tank means less head pressure to drive the gas through the skinny tubing. And then there is the carb. What size tubing fits IT?
I'm still confused about why people insist on buying online when they could walk in a store and lay the part on the desk and look at the replacement and verify it is what they want. It supports the local economy, no waiting or paying for shipping, and even when they
Ship for Free
you paid for shipping, in the price of whatever you bought.
Now, IF shipping is free AND the part costs fifteen dollars And it came from China, just how much of that price is actually what it cost to make it?
Sure, they cut corners. Look at the cost of the tubing. The difference in the cost of the tubing, multiplied by the number they make,  and IF there's a problem, where do you go? For all I know the quality of the casting is less than the factory part.
Wanna see me go off for real? Walk into a store, get a clerk, ask them questions, try on what they have in stock, then go buy it online.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #11 - 07/21/15 at 08:12:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/20/15 at 09:40:08:
How long have you been running it? See any downside?
Extended high RPM, extended high power needs, like climbing a long hill, the fuel use might be more than the flow rate through the petcock.
Lower fuel level in the tank means less head pressure to drive the gas through the skinny tubing. And then there is the carb. What size tubing fits IT?
I'm still confused about why people insist on buying online when they could walk in a store and lay the part on the desk and look at the replacement and verify it is what they want. It supports the local economy, no waiting or paying for shipping, and even when they
Ship for Free
you paid for shipping, in the price of whatever you bought.
Now, IF shipping is free AND the part costs fifteen dollars And it came from China, just how much of that price is actually what it cost to make it?
Sure, they cut corners. Look at the cost of the tubing. The difference in the cost of the tubing, multiplied by the number they make,  and IF there's a problem, where do you go? For all I know the quality of the casting is less than the factory part.
Wanna see me go off for real? Walk into a store, get a clerk, ask them questions, try on what they have in stock, then go buy it online.

->>> like climbing a long hill

I start to loose a LOT of power when climbing hills, i live in the Poconos!

I did order the correct part, but get the Shenzhen replica instead. They refunded me the cost but I used it anyways as it was already on there.  I will order the exact part today!

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/21/15 at 08:39:28

You might also check that your fuel cap is venting properly....a vacuum in the fuel tank could also cause those symptoms.

Also the carb has a small screen filter at the top of the seat for the float needle.  If that is partially clogged it could restrict fuel flow.  You have to drop the float bowl, remove the float and needle, and then you can remove the screw and pull out the seat to access the filter....I can't imagine trying to do this with the carb still on the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/21/15 at 09:14:16

JutMan wrote on 07/21/15 at 08:12:59:

I did order the correct part, but get the Shenzhen replica instead. They refunded me the cost but I used it anyways as it was already on there.  I will order the exact part today!

Loosing power and not having enough are 2 different things.

not having enough requires you to downshift and at some point you achieve a balance between winding it out and petering out.

loosing power doesn't require a shift at 1st but after a while will act like running out of gas.

WWW   IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #14 - 07/27/15 at 05:43:11

verslagen1 wrote on 07/21/15 at 09:14:16:
JutMan wrote on 07/21/15 at 08:12:59:

Loosing power and not having enough are 2 different things.

not having enough requires you to downshift and at some point you achieve a balance between winding it out and petering out.

loosing power doesn't require a shift at 1st but after a while will act like running out of gas.

OK, I now have the correct part on my bike. Maybe it is just me, but I can tell the difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:19:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Part Number....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.