Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested (Read 1025 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are intereste
Reply #60 - 08/22/15 at 04:16:33

I was looking......but sitting on my hands and just watching the progress.

Great job being creative.....and there is no reason to delete anything as it  very innovative.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #61 - 08/22/15 at 11:24:55

Ok Dave, thanks. I have no clue as to how a website like this works in terms of bandwidth, storage, server load, etc so I just want to make sure I am not taking more than my fair share of space with all the photos and such.

Would it be better if each individual "project" had it's own thread? ( re-locate the regulator on one thread, add LED lighting on a separate thread, saddlebag conversion to hard-mount on another, etc). When it comes to the search engine here, would it be easier for other members to find specific info on those projects if they were all in separate threads?

I've always been a MacGyver type. That is what kept me employed for the last 15 years. I was able to keep 50 year old shuttle presses and riveting machines going with bailing wire and hand made springs Grin I never let a machine or fixture get thrown out until I had stripped it of useful parts. This "unique" way of doing things comes from being poor most of my life, and making use of what I had on hand. 20 years ago I made a CNC 3 axis desktop engraver from parts I scavenged from some old HP printers and some open source software off the web. I've made my own night vision scope from an old JVC camcorder.

When it comes to the bike, I'm kinda in the same mode. I dont have thousands of dollars to customize it, so I have to get "creative". Those vents on the battery box cover are from a Bayliner boat Tongue The whole re-location project cost me less than $20. I'd give my left nut to have access to a lathe and a Bridgeport again...but sadly that went away when I got laid off.

Anyway....I'm rambling. I just wanted to say thank you for the support and for giving me a place to get the information I need...and to share my experiences. I donate to the site when I can ( and I recommend that anyone reading this take a moment to donate $5 or $10 if you can). This site is a FREE resource that has helped hundreds of Savage owners better understand and enjoy our bikes.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #62 - 08/23/15 at 01:26:34

I've been watching from the sofa.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #63 - 08/23/15 at 02:05:16

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/22/15 at 01:06:28:
I cant say for certain, but I am fairly sure that the only person following this thread is chzeckmate (and only because I ASKED him to lol)

I'm genuinely interested.  You can tell by the view count that I'm not the only one.  You've got 631 views as of this post.  I think that says something.  Keep posting, we're enjoying your progress.

Having said that, I like what you did with the battery box cover.  I'm eager to see it mounted.  I noticed you've got a lot of oxidation on the plastic housing around the lock.  You can clean that up nicely by rubbing it with Marvel Mystery oil and after you wipe it dry put some lemon Pledge on it.  It will look good as new.  Same thing with the plastic speedo housing.  Worked like a charm for me.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #64 - 08/23/15 at 05:10:18

I have been watching, i see a lot of the idea here and store them away in the back.  When I go to do something, then I go into the long term memory. I really like the tool box idea with the vents.  I also saw another where they got a much smaller battery.  Did not know they made a smaller version of battery.  
Same as you though, working on a new license plate mount, would give my right one yesterday for a metal brake to bend it.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 08/23/15 at 10:32:46

JutMan wrote on 08/23/15 at 05:10:18:
I also saw another where they got a much smaller battery.  Did not know they made a smaller version of battery.

The stock battery provides lots of power for those arctic nights that some folks have to rid in, it provides enough power to turn over a cold engine with thick oil......and a battery loses power when it is really cold.  It also provides some ability for an older battery to still do the job as it's performance declines.

If you live in a warm climate you may be able to get by with a much smaller battery (both is size and amp/hours).  However it will not provide you as much ability to run the starter if you have a bike that doesn't want to start for some reason.  With a small battery you need to keep your bike well maintained so it starts easy (you should do that anyhow).

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #66 - 08/23/15 at 16:32:04

Dave, this may sound really bizarre but something occurred to me and I wanted to run it by you.

It's no secret that the 55 watt headlight and the approximately 32 watts of running lights (front ambers, license plate and tail light at 8 watts each), plus the instrument lights are doing nothing at "start up" except robbing the starter of cranking amps. I understand that it isnt legal to have your headlight set up with an on-off switch, but what if a timer relay was installed?

You turn the key on, no headlight or running lights come on. You hit the starter and all available current goes to starting the engine. 3- seconds after ignition, a relay closes and turns on the lights. As a fail-safe, a switch mounted to the relay box would by-pass the relay and allow the bike to operate normally.

I have the electronics background to build such a circuit, but would it really help? Would it be legal? Just curious.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 08/23/15 at 18:07:09

The late model bikes have a relay built into the wiring already that turns off the headlight while starting.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 08/23/15 at 18:21:27

The headlight and the other lights are all connected to only a handful of ground wires - but the headlight is the biggest power user and it would be easy to hook the headlight ground into a switch (manual or timer).

Later models are supposed to have something in the circuitry that turns the headlight off when the starter button is activated.....but I have never been able to isolate what that is by reading the diagram.

I run an Earth-X ETX12A battery in my Cafe bike.  It is only 1.3 pounds but is 12 Equilvalent Amp hours.....meaning the Li Ion battery performs like the 12 AH lead acid battery - but it is actually less.  The lead acid batteries provide less voltage as they discharge - the Li-Ion batteries provide full voltage much farther into their discharge.  It is not cheap - but I needed the small size.  This is my 3rd summer on the battery...still working!
http://earthxmotorsports.com/product-category/motorcycle/

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #69 - 08/24/15 at 08:05:11

Arent Cold Cranking Amps more important than Ah capacity? Especially for starting?

I've worked with LiPo and Lithium Ion batteries before. They do have a much flatter discharge curve and can hold a charge for quite a long time just sitting on a shelf. My experience is with smaller batteries than the ones used in vehicles, but my understanding is that lead acid batteries hold up better to abuse. If you take a screwdriver and put it across one of our lead acid batteries, you get lots of sparks and a welded screwdriver. Do that with a lithium battery and you get an explosion.

I seem to remember a story about Lithium ion laptop batteries doing exactly that not too many years ago. I'm sure that with the advent of electric vehicles, the batteries and circuits are much safer now....but I cant say I would feel comfortable with a Lithium battery between my legs Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 08/24/15 at 09:23:17

Cold Cranking Amps gets the starter energized and turning.....the Amp/Hour rating is a rating for how long you can make it spin.

My bike generally fires in one to two piston strokes......as it only has 6,000 miles on it and is kept in a nice warm garage.  Get a bike with a lot of miles on it, stored in the cold on a damp morning.....and you might just have to crank a little bit to get it going.

I have been warned that the Li-Ion battery will die immediately if you discharge it too far....thankfully the Earth-X has a built in safety that disconnects the battery before you get that low, and it allows the connection to return once a charging source is applied.  They don't recommend any maintainer be attached to their batteries.  

« Last Edit: 08/26/15 at 03:59:33 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #71 - 09/01/15 at 12:09:49

Back to the saga Tongue

Pics of the modified battery box cover mounted on the bike. On the bench it looked a bit "gaudy" and big, but once mounted I warmed up to it. Almost looks like it belongs there.

battery_cover_mod3.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #72 - 09/01/15 at 12:10:22

...and a closer view...

battery_cover_mod2.jpg

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #73 - 09/01/15 at 12:36:47

Very slick.  I might suggest wrapping the connector and wires with black electrical tape to keep moisture out and to make them less visible through the screen.  That said, I like it!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #74 - 09/01/15 at 13:02:30

love it, gives it drag bike vibe  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.