Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested (Read 1025 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are intereste
Reply #45 - 08/09/15 at 17:14:19

Saddlebag lights. These have a 1/4-20 mounting stud on the back. I put a hole in the saddlebag wall, pushed the wires and mounting screw through, the used a 1/8" thick circle of black ABS plastic (about 3" dia.) on the inside to provide some stability. Black automotive RTV on both the rear of the light where it meets the PVC saddlebag, and on the inside of the bag between the 3" plastic disc and the saddlebag wall. I dont think it can possibly leak Cool

saddlebag_lights.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #46 - 08/09/15 at 19:20:11

All of that sounds fine on paper.  I have extensive experience with LEDs and I should warn you that the wattage is almost always overrated unless you're getting the top notch stuff (meaning expensive).  I think your plan is fine though.  Just test for yourself after all is done.  If need be you could always add a load resistor to balance it.  It's better to have the heat on a 75˘ resistor than on the regulator rectifier.

A couple of thoughts...
I'd like to recommend not going with the LED license plate bolts.  There are three reasons I say this.  One, they are not very reliable.  Two, they are tacky looking IMO.  Three, simple is always better.  I'd like to recommend replacing the stock BA15 with something like this, which is also just 1W.  It will keep a clean stock look and no wiring needed.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/271951699309?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=5707853...

Also, just me, but are you sue you want to use the runners in the saddlebags?  When you're at a full gallop those are going to be all googly with the wind and all moving those bags around.  It wouldn't be so bad if they were moving in sync but those bags will move independently...just saying.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #47 - 08/09/15 at 20:00:46

chzeck, I'll check out that bulb, thanks.

On the saddlebags, I dont expect them to move much. The side that faces the bike is a solid 1/4" sheet of acrylic/ABS plastic...in other words, it is "hard sided" on the bike side. I have added four 1/2" industrial snaps per bag to keep them tight against the saddlebag support rails.

I'll get a pic of the mounting and post it...the lights arent going to move around anymore than the bags do. If I find the bags are moving too much, I'll weld up a "soft sided bag" hard mount and bolt them to the bracket. The solid inner wall really helps the bags keep their shape and   keeps them from flexing.

Worst case scenario is I have a small 1/4" hole in my bags that I can fix with a leather/pleather repair kit.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #48 - 08/09/15 at 20:59:44

My current bags have an abs insert on the backside too.  I like the idea of adding snaps to keep them still.  Mine have a built in strap to keep them steady, but there's only so much you can expect.  I'm still planning to change to hard bags but that needs to wait.  Back to school shopping is the priority now.  All new clothes and stuff for four children is expensive.  These are the bags I'm going to get after I get the kids situated...

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #49 - 08/14/15 at 23:40:22

So I put a little effort into the tool bag holder/battery cover today. I need to vent it after moving the rectifier/regulator down to the tool box.

Rough cut two 2" holes and then cleaned them up with a mini grinding stone...

battery_cover1.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #50 - 08/14/15 at 23:42:00

Used pieces of Stainless Steel screen and tacked the screens into the bezels...

vent_screens.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #51 - 08/14/15 at 23:43:00

This is what it looks like now...I havent bolted the covers on yet.

vented_cover.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #52 - 08/14/15 at 23:45:25

There will also be 2 smaller vent holes (also screened) on the side of the cover that faces the front of the bike.

I have these plastic/chromed hooded covers that are the same size, but the look a bit gaudy to me. I'll probably go with the smaller/simpler SS bezels.

hood_vents.jpg

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #53 - 08/15/15 at 00:21:02

My opinion...I would have gone with the vented cover that you were talking about before, but if you aren't going with that then I like the visor bezels.  It's looking real nice.  You did a fine job.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #54 - 08/22/15 at 00:58:41

So, finally got the tool cover finished. I went with a larger gauge Stainless screen for stiffness and had to make some gaskets out of 1/8" foam to go under the vent hoods. It seems out tool cover isnt flat! Shocked

cut_and_formed_screen.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #55 - 08/22/15 at 01:00:42

Screen is held in with JB Weld...then the hardware goes through it too, so it seems pretty strong. Screen came from a Walmart sink drain screen Roll Eyes

strainer.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #56 - 08/22/15 at 01:02:04

and mounted up with gaskets to hide the small gaps and stainless hardware..

mounted1.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #57 - 08/22/15 at 01:04:03

Another angle...

Seems like the regulator will get plenty of air, but if not...I can put a couple of screened holes in the side of the cover that faces frontwards to "force" air into the box.

completed_vents.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #58 - 08/22/15 at 01:06:28

I cant say for certain, but I am fairly sure that the only person folowing this thread is chzeckmate (and only because I ASKED him to lol), so if you guys or the moderators think I am taking up too much bandwidth here...just let me know.

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #59 - 08/22/15 at 01:09:54

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/22/15 at 01:06:28:
I cant say for certain, but I am fairly sure that the only person folowing this thread is chzeckmate (and only because I ASKED him to lol), so if you guys or the moderators think I am taking up too much bandwidth here...just let me know.

Don't beat yourself up mate. It's always cool to see people's creativity unfold on their bikes, especially on our 650 Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.