Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested (Read 1025 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Re: My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are intereste
Reply #30 - 07/30/15 at 10:54:11

Seems like an okay welder... but for a little more dough, you can get an inverter TIG and be able to weld pretty much anything.

http://www.amazon.com/EVERLAST-PowerARC-140amp-Welder-Voltage/dp/B0081BF4JC/r...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 08/01/15 at 19:05:20

Nicely done on the bracket.  You're a real jigsaw ninja.  Could we see a side view photo please?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #32 - 08/02/15 at 00:08:37

chzeckmate wrote on 08/01/15 at 19:05:20:
Nicely done on the bracket.  You're a real jigsaw ninja.  Could we see a side view photo please?

Could be because it's 3 AM and I have had a migraine for going on 30 hours now, but what exactly do you mean by a "side view" chzeck? Like, you want to know which side is eventually up or down? Hole position in the ends? Side view with lights mounted, or mounted on the bike?

Sorry dude...headaches and too many Norco Shocked

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #33 - 08/02/15 at 00:14:04

koehlerrk, for someone in my financial position...that isnt "a little more dough". It's more than twice my "budget" for a hobby welder.

If I end up selling the little Nighthawk this fall I may look into it again, but for the 8+ projects around the house and on the bike...the little wire welder seems like it will be ideal. I appreciate the heads up though!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - 08/02/15 at 09:15:03

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/02/15 at 00:08:37:
chzeckmate wrote on 08/01/15 at 19:05:20:

...what exactly do you mean by a "side view" chzeck?...

I just meant a level view of the mounted signals from the port or starboard side of the bike.  I'm curious about the clearance and aesthetics from that angle.

...by the way, if you do decide to sell the nighthawk please tap me first for it.  My daughter gets her class M in November and it would be the perfect thing for her.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #35 - 08/02/15 at 09:17:09

Copy that Chzeck...will take a pic or 2 today.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #36 - 08/03/15 at 16:32:54

No real loss of clearance so far as I can see. If I has to guess, I'd say that the bracket is about 1/2" closer to the tire than the license plate holder is. That is still well over 4 inches away from the tire.

side_top_view.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #37 - 08/03/15 at 16:33:17

...and at eye level..

side_view.jpg

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #38 - 08/03/15 at 20:13:15

Yeah, that looks like it'll do nicely.  Well done!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 08/03/15 at 21:49:12

I hope you want honesty.
On the fab work, good going. Results better than the tools you had available.
But the wires. Major points deduction.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #40 - 08/04/15 at 00:39:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/03/15 at 21:49:12:
I hope you want honesty.
On the fab work, good going. Results better than the tools you had available.
But the wires. Major points deduction.

ROFLMAO Grin

Thanks for that Justin....I needed that laugh in a big way. It's been a miserable few days.

The photo was taken while the wires were just "wire-nutted" together for test purposes. These are actually FRONT signal stems so I needed to get the correct wire hooked up.

The final wiring is sheathed in wire mesh sleeving and tie wrapped up with the wire for the brake/tail light on the roof of the fender. No wiring visible Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 08/04/15 at 03:51:12

If you are going to use the running lights in those front turn signals (now that they are mounted in the back) - it is not legal.  Rear running lights are required to be red.  Look at any factory built motorcycle, car, truck, trailer or semi trailer and the front running lights are yellow and the rear running lights are red.

You may be able to get away with it....however if Law Enforcement wants to give you a ticket for it, they have the laws to back it up.

QUOTE FROM WIKOPEDIA

"The colour of light emitted by vehicle lights is largely standardised by longstanding convention. It was first codified in the 1949 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic and later specified in the 1968 United Nations Convention on Road Traffic. Generally, but with some regional exceptions, lamps facing rearward must emit red light, lamps facing sideward and all turn signals must emit amber light, while lamps facing frontward must emit white or selective yellow light. No other colours are permitted except on emergency vehicles.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/department-transportation-trailer-light-regula...

Wow.....I am illegal in a lot of states.  A lot of them require a red rear reflector.
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/motorcycle-equipment/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #42 - 08/08/15 at 20:31:52

Thanks for the heads up Dave, but no...I am not wiring them up as 3 wire blinkers. I am aware that running lights here in NC must be red.

I have a set of old fashioned looking red LED running lights that will be bolted to the fender. Bright enough to see easily in daylight, yet only add 3 watt each to the system load.

« Last Edit: 08/09/15 at 16:56:56 by Boogie_with_Stu »  

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #43 - 08/09/15 at 16:26:19

Adding additional lighting to a car/truck/boat is a breeze. Adding lighting to a motorcycle, especially one with an electrical system like the Savage, not so much. Either you add to the wattage total and use some of the power needed to recharge the battery, or you have to take wattage out of the "system" and then put in a reasonably close amount of power consumption with alternate light. I am going the latter route.

Our tail/brake/license light assembly uses 2 bulbs. One is a dual filament 1157 used for the running light and brake light, and the other is an independent 631 BA-15 style 8 watt bulb for the license plate. This is the bulb I will be removing from the system.

In place of the 8 watt license plate bulb, I will be using :

(2) ultra bright white LED license plate bolt lights @ .5 watts each.

(2) 2 1/5" red LED round "side marker" type lights, one installed in each of my saddlebags facing rearward. These will act as running lights and use 1 watt each.

(2) chrome 2" "retro" red LED lights mounted to the rear fender behind the saddlebags. These are really bright, even in bright sunshine. They pull 3 watts each.

Total drain on the system, about 9 watts. Instead of one license plate lamp, I will now have : 2 license plate lights (bolt style), 2 chrome running lights, and 2 round running lights for the saddlebags. The saddlebag lights are permanently mounted with a 2 wire automotive connector on each, so that if I zip off the bags...I just un-plug them from the system. That leaves 7 watts on the electrical line for the license bulb when the bags are taken off.

Since the license plate light is pretty much useless during the day, I lose nothing during daylight driving. What I gain, is at least 2 running lights that are daylight visible.
At night, I gain 4 red running lights, a much better lit license plate,  and lose nothing.

I dont know if the license plate lamp is part of the "fast blink" system that lets the operator know if a running light/turn signal lamp is blown, but even if it is....since I am so close to the original 8 watt draw of the lamp, there shouldnt be any change to the blink rate.

I'm an electronics guy....not a mechanical or automotive expert. Can anyone see a flaw in my plans? Something that I am mis-understanding?

Again, my quest was to improve nighttime visibility without losing any of the original lighting. I think I have accomplished that...but I'm open to suggestions or corrections.

3 watt (cree)red running lights, overall dimension on the lens end is 2.25" , the lens diameter is approx 1.750".

red_led_running_lights_001.JPG

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #44 - 08/09/15 at 17:02:56

LED license plate bolt lights...

35-082-2.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.