Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested (Read 1025 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested
07/18/15 at 15:01:21

I purchased the 2003 Savage as basically a "barn find" Unused for years and 4,000 original miles. It had been dropped at about 25 mph and the left peg, clutch perch, and left rear turn signal had been roughed up quite a bit. Luckily, no damage to the engine/clutch covers. Even small engine guards work!

I changed out the handlebars for Triumph Bonneville 30 inchers. Changed the grips at the same time. Replaced the clutch lever and perch with a used set off sleazeBay. Bike was vibrating a bit more than I like....rear view mirrors were useless, so I started looking at the triple tree and the front end. Only obvious damage was to the left side handlebar riser bolt and it's chrome "cap" which was bent. Got a used triple tree ..again on ebay, and changed out the right and left riser hardware and rubber shock mounts. Then, I started messing with the seat. I tried to make the Sportster seat work for me...it just never met my expectations. While I was under there, I decided to move the Regulator. I have a great set of saddlebags for the bike, but the rear signals needed to be re-located. Took the tank off to do the raptor mod. I did all of these things within a couple weeks, not really completing anything before taking MORE of the bike apart to do more "work". Thats where I currently find myself.

I'd like to start a photo essay of what I have done, and what I am doing going forward. I picked up a cheap Nikon 20 megapixel camera today to help the process along. If this section of the forum is not where this should be, pls let me know and I will start it up in the proper section.

PLAN GOING FORWARD:

-First, finish the re-location of the regulator in the tool box area and post pics. Wires had to be lengthened, re-routed, etc, so I will post pics of any relevant work.
-Second, the relocation of the stock rear turn signals to a home brew bracket in the license plate area. Fabrication and installation pics will be posted.
-Third, wanting more lighting on the rear of the bike, I will post the addition of a set of LED running lights that will mount to the rear fender several inches beyond where the original signals were. I will post wattages, how I wired them and how I (hopefully) kept about the same draw on the regulator...for example, switching to LED tail/brake light and then using additional lighting to make up for the lack of current draw rather than wasting that power using resistors.
-Fourth, I'll mount the S40 Boulevard seat and do a how-to on what it took to accomplish.
-Fifth, the Dyna muffler mod.
-Sixth, I'll be adding a light bar to the front of the bike, again..swapping out LED bulbs for the original OEM bulbs and making up the difference by adding lighting on the bar.

I hope to have all of this work done within 30 days. Some of you guys could do it all in a weekend I'm sure, but I suffer from chronic migraine headaches as a result of damage to a couple of neck vertebra and I really cant do this kind of stuff when I'm either curled up in a ball and vomiting because of the headaches, or stoned out of my mind on painkillers. I get about 12 of these headaches a month, some lasting for just 5 or 6 hours...and some for up to 72 hours straight.

If you guys will bear with me, I'm hoping that this thread might help other Savage owners to try new things, see what mistakes I make (and hopefully not repeat them), as well as helping ME by having a record of where this project takes me.

Here she is 2 days after purchase....straight from the barn and not even wiped down.

my_savage_2003_001.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are intereste
Reply #1 - 07/18/15 at 16:28:40

That must be the cleanest barn ever... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/18/15 at 17:24:00

Serowbot wrote on 07/18/15 at 16:28:40:
That must be the cleanest barn ever... Huh...

My thoughts exactly

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 07/18/15 at 17:49:54

Here in North Carolina, they talk a bit funny. Where I grew up, a barn was a dusty place where horses were kept. Here, they call any "out-building" with sides on it a "barn".

This building had doors and windows, a roll-up garage door, lights, etc. 20 years ago I would have just called it a garage Grin

The story I got was that it was taken out or at least started twice a year...but otherwise spent all of it's time under an old US Army tarp. Having the bike apart at the moment, it's clear it hasnt been cleaned in years. Wiped down maybe, but spider nests and built up dust is under everything. Under the seat, gas tank, side covers, tool kit, etc. Luckily, not real rust anywhere.

I have no idea if the owner  put a rag to it before I bought it. I just meant that I hadnt cleaned her up at all yet before that pic was taken.

(2 "huh?'s" in a row..you guys pickin' on the newb??)

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/19/15 at 08:01:12

Nice find!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 07/20/15 at 00:26:37

These are the "retro" style running lights that I have mounted to the rear fender. They are very low wattage but still surprisingly bright. I used the hot lead from the license plate light for power. They are steel/chromed housings with a nice rubber gasket.

red_led_running_lights.JPG

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 07/20/15 at 00:32:56

I also picked up a set of these LED lights. I plan to mount one in the rear wall of each of my saddlebags. Again, less than 1 watt in low mode, and less than 2 watts in high brightness. These are well made, bright enough to see in daylight and 3 wire type lights....so they could be used as running lights/auxiliary brake lights or just hook them up using only one wire for side/rear marker lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191286363457?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=...

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 07/21/15 at 00:25:50

In progress pic...

in_progress.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/21/15 at 00:27:51

Regulator installed onto battery cover, wires re-routed, extended and connected....

wires_dressed_and_connected.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 07/21/15 at 00:28:55

Cover installed...everything seems to fit nicely.

final_install_with_cover.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/21/15 at 03:06:15

If the regulator is hidden behind the chrome tool kit cover......is it going to get enough air flow to keep it cool?  In the stock position it gets some air flow - but also is firmly mounted to the fender which helps to dissipate heat.  I am not sure you have the airflow or metal heat sink adequate to keep the regulator cool.

The regulator adjusts the voltage/charge t the battery by bleeding off any excess electric power and wasting it in the form of heat.  Too much heat and the regulator will be cooked.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 07/21/15 at 20:10:52

You cant see it in the pics, but there is a solid .250" 6061 aluminium plate between the regulator and the sheet metal battery cover that it is mounted to. I used a bit of thermal compound between the parts as well.

Your air flow concern is noted. I might look for a small louvered vent accessory (the ones that USUALLY dont do anything) and put it on the side of the chrome cover with some slots behind it.

Maybe something like these...

fake_vents.jpg

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 07/22/15 at 15:16:51

Today I did a bunch of Googling (it is one of my favorite pastimes) and found that while there is no "standard" temperature rating on motorcycle regulator /rectifiers, temps of 200 to 275 F are regularly reported on Honda's, Yammies and Suzuki bikes in the 600-900 cc range. That is pretty dang hot.

Since I added the heat sink plate, mine will run a tad cooler, but not much. Since I also completely enclosed it, I am beginning to have some concerns. Venting the chrome battery cover is one solution, as is moving the regulator yet AGAIN. The thing is, I'm a bit pigheaded and obstinate Cool I like having it hidden under the chrome dress cover.

As a precaution, I'll be running the bike without the chrome cover until I figure out a solution that satisfies me. I ordered a couple of different stainless steel marine grade vents off ebay today for experimenting. This one looks promising and will fit nicely on the front of the chrome cover. Some slots or holes in the bottom of the cover ought to create some respectable air flow.

SS_marine_vent_3_inch.GIF

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/22/15 at 20:11:32

It's really good to see your documenting and sharing everything with us.  I share Dave's concern about heat with the regulator rectifier mounted inside the toolkit area.  I understand that you've got the aluminum plate back there to dissipate heat, but I'm sure that isn't going to be enough even with the vent you're proposing to install.  I have an idea though.  You could install a micro computer fan in there and with the vent you ought to be in good shape.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 07/23/15 at 18:56:09

I have a few vent designs I'm playing with. If I use that 3" round vent in the "front" of the cover (the side that faces to the right), I would also put a couple of small screened vents on the side that faces the front of the bike to create flow. I believe you are correct in assuming that just having a way for the heat to get OUT isnt going to be enough...it needs air moving through the box.

I have a few thermo-couples and a thermo-meter so I can monitor the temps with different setups. First, with no cover...then with the cover and vents, then maybe MORE vents. Hell, maybe I will just "swiss cheese" the chrome cover Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 2003 Savage saga, for any who are interested

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.