Send Topic Print
Changing Grips (Read 296 times)
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Changing Grips
07/16/15 at 21:11:00

Still pretty new to this and need an opinion on grips..

This is what I was thinking of getting. I already have the matching foot pegs and figured I would try install these to match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pair-chrome-Skull-handlebar-hand-grip-for-Cruisers-C...

I found a post here that said 1" grips are what I need.  The confusion was grips v/s grips and tubes.  I assume that "tubes" refers to the throttle attachment which the ones above have.  They also have their own end cap and I hope they the current OEM 2005 setup will not be too long for these.

I have no issues with the OEM, and would prefer to not cut them off if possible.  I did watch some videos on swapping the tubes, not sure how hard that really is.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Changing Grips
Reply #1 - 07/16/15 at 22:12:09

1 " grips fit 1" bars. 7/8"grips fit 7/8 " bars. You need 1" grips.
Did you see the youtube with the guy making a little wire crankshaft he puts inside the grip, cranks it around and loosens the grip that way? Works amazingly well. If you didn't see it, maybe look it up.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 07/17/15 at 05:28:52

Those grips will work just fine. They say they are for 1" bars and the throttle sleeve is already installed in the right hand grip.

I have a set like this and they went on with very little trouble...I used electronic contact cleaner and a small flat head screwdriver to get the left one off. Wasnt too bad and didnt have to destroy it. The right one slips right off due to the throttle tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US1-Chrome-Handle-bar-Hand-Grip-For-Harley-Dyna-Softa...

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Backtobasics
YaBB Newbies

Singles, pure and
simple

Exeter, NH
Reply #3 - 07/17/15 at 10:48:05

I didn't use these grips, but I did put on the 1" Avon grips and everything went surprisingly well, with no issues.  The Avon grips had set screws for the clutch side, but I backed that up with a shot of old lady hairspray on the bars and that was seven months ago with no slippage at all.  I did need to adjust the throttle cable after to get the right "play".  I would guess every grip type is slightly different, but overall, it was an easy job.

2007 S40, Raptor Petcock, Versy Adjuster, Avon grips, Seat lift, and Saddleman roll bag
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #4 - 07/17/15 at 22:04:09

@backtobasics

I was going to suggest hairspray as well. It's an old chopper trick and it works perfect. Just go to the dollar store and buy some 80s era aerosol hair spray and spray a bit into the grip before you put it on. It will stay forever!

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 07/18/15 at 14:22:44

Rylee wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:04:09:
@backtobasics

I was going to suggest hairspray as well. It's an old chopper trick and it works perfect. Just go to the dollar store and buy some 80s era aerosol hair spray and spray a bit into the grip before you put it on. It will stay forever!

Ditto on the hairspray trick. Thats what I used on the left grip and it slid on very easily, 2 minutes later it wasnt going anywhere. Even in 98 degree heat, it hasnt loosened up.
Btw, I'm offended. I USE old lady hair spray...on my old MAN head Grin

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/18/15 at 19:39:12

We used to spray hair spray , ummm, redundant,again, on the floor of the back room, a peace sign usually, then light it.. When you are unloading an eighteen wheeler full of groceries, one box at a time, ya take breaks..
This was before pallets and pallet jacks and just rolling a ton of stuff a truck by one guy in ten minutes.
Is it Aqua Net? Is that even a name?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 07/18/15 at 21:31:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/15 at 19:39:12:
We used to spray hair spray , ummm, redundant,again, on the floor of the back room, a peace sign usually, then light it.. When you are unloading an eighteen wheeler full of groceries, one box at a time, ya take breaks..
This was before pallets and pallet jacks and just rolling a ton of stuff a truck by one guy in ten minutes.
Is it Aqua Net? Is that even a name?

I respectfully refuse to answer the question on the grounds that it may actually prolong this discussion Lips Sealed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/19/15 at 07:27:38

It's Aqua Net! Kinda purplish can with black lines, almost like a hair net..
IF I remember 44 years ago...
That stuffs a flame thrower. Screw pepper spray,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/19/15 at 07:55:23

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/18/15 at 14:22:44:
Rylee wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:04:09:
@backtobasics

Ditto on the hairspray trick. Thats what I used on the left grip and it slid on very easily, 2 minutes later it wasnt going anywhere. Even in 98 degree heat, it hasnt loosened up.
Btw, I'm offended. I USE old lady hair spray...on my old MAN head Grin

Helmet head much?  Grin
this is why I keep my hair (what's left of it) cut short

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #10 - 07/19/15 at 16:34:11

I just bought a pair of shotgun shell style grips that had the throttletube built in... just sayin Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 07/20/15 at 00:18:03

savagerider87 wrote on 07/19/15 at 16:34:11:
I just bought a pair of shotgun shell style grips that had the throttletube built in... just sayin Smiley

When I went looking for replacement grips I made sure they came with the plastic throttle sleeve pre-installed. It makes installation a whole lot easier and there isnt any price difference that I could tell. I went with genuine Kuryakyn ISO Grips and putting them on was completely painless.

The Honda Nighthawk 250 is a completely different story. It has 7/8ths bars and all the replacement grips look like they were made for dirt bikes or enduros. I was hoping to find a wider "cruiser-type" grip for the 7/8ths bars but didnt have any luck. None of the grips I found came with the throttle tube installed, so I ordered a used set of grips off eBay to make sure I had a spare tube in case I screwed up the install. I ended up taking the throttle sleeve out of the used right grip and pre-installing it into the new grip....made the install a lot easier and I didnt have to be too delicate getting the original grips off.

I have seen "plastic throttle tube sleeves" for sale as standalone items, so if you find a set of grips you absolutely MUST have...but they dont come with the throttle tube (and you dont want to destroy your original grips), you can just buy the sleeve.

throttle_tube.JPG

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 07/20/15 at 01:03:06

Petrol (or gasoline) works just as well as a lubricant for fitting the grips and kind of bonds the grip to the handlebar. Works for me.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/20/15 at 09:10:19

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/20/15 at 00:18:03:
savagerider87 wrote on 07/19/15 at 16:34:11:

When I went looking for replacement grips I made sure they came with the plastic throttle sleeve pre-installed. It makes installation a whole lot easier and there isnt any price difference that I could tell. I went with genuine Kuryakyn ISO Grips and putting them on was completely painless.

The Honda Nighthawk 250 is a completely different story. It has 7/8ths bars and all the replacement grips look like they were made for dirt bikes or enduros. I was hoping to find a wider "cruiser-type" grip for the 7/8ths bars but didnt have any luck. None of the grips I found came with the throttle tube installed, so I ordered a used set of grips off eBay to make sure I had a spare tube in case I screwed up the install. I ended up taking the throttle sleeve out of the used right grip and pre-installing it into the new grip....made the install a lot easier and I didnt have to be too delicate getting the original grips off.

I have seen "plastic throttle tube sleeves" for sale as standalone items, so if you find a set of grips you absolutely MUST have...but they dont come with the throttle tube (and you dont want to destroy your original grips), you can just buy the sleeve.

I searched nighthawk 250 gips and got this
https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US662D20141211&p=grips+for+ni
ghthawk+250
Some look like dirtbike grips, but the some of them deff look like 'cruiser' grips to me

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 07/21/15 at 00:09:56

Yeah, I found plenty of pictures....but when searching reliable stores like JP, Motorcycle Superstore and such, they all end up looking like this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11958949/d/2003-honda-nighthawk-250-grip...

Granted, one or 2 might be a bit wider than the "dirt bike look", but there is no where near a decent selection.

I ended up with these. The bike is red, the grips are pretty rugged and the pattern is much more comfortable than the stockers.

grips_red_aluminium.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 03:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.