Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drastic gas mileage drop (Read 110 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Drastic gas mileage drop
07/15/15 at 19:34:06

For the last two tanks of gas I've had a serious reduction in mpg.  It's roughly 35% reduction.  I've also noticed oil consumption has increased as well.  Roughly 100 ml for every 200 miles.  Aside from that everything seems fine mechanically and with the exception of the seat spacer mod, I haven't done anything to the bike and my riding habits haven't changed.  Same daily commute as usual.   Anyone have any ideas?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Re: Drastic gas mileage drop
Reply #1 - 07/15/15 at 19:46:45

I may be no good for this particularly. But I had a 1991 mustang LX 2.3 and the same thing happened except it went to burning literally 4qts every 800 miles. turned out it popped an exhaust valve and once it was fixed, all mentionable power, fuel economy and oil consumption returned to normal. it was de-restricted (no a/c, power steering or smog control) and got roughly 40mpg. it dropped down to 22-24. Maybe this could help.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/15/15 at 19:47:01

Someone stealing your gas and oil?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/15/15 at 20:13:09

do you use the choke?

ever left it on for the whole commute?

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/15/15 at 20:15:05

Neilap wrote on 07/15/15 at 19:46:45:
...turned out it popped an exhaust valve and once it was fixed, all mentionable power, fuel economy and oil consumption returned to normal..

I appreciate the thought, but I've had no noticeable change in performance at all.  

stewmills wrote on 07/15/15 at 19:47:01:
Someone stealing your gas and oil?

It's funny that you mentioned that because the third from the last tank is where this actually began and when I switched to reserve in the morning I actually considered that some a-hole might have drained it during the night.  I pulled into the gas station straight away and sure enough it took exactly 2 gallons.  Very unlikely that someone would drain it to exactly the reserve capacity.  I was mad as hell until I realized that wasn't it.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/15/15 at 20:17:19

verslagen1 wrote on 07/15/15 at 20:13:09:
do you use the choke?

ever left it on for the whole commute?

I don't have to use the choke at all.  When it was cooler here half choke was needed in the morning but since it warmed up I've never needed it.  That's good thinking though.  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 07/15/15 at 20:23:06

are you using the raptor or stock petcock?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/15/15 at 20:26:00

I'm still waiting for my raptor...so for now I'm still using the stock petcock.  

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing.  I sometimes smell raw fuel.  I have been attributing that to the cap vent and the sweltering heat here though.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 07/15/15 at 20:31:43

well that should eliminate fuel just leaking from below the petcock when the engine is off. however, it could be leaking when running which could be a fire hazard.

sure all of your fuel lines and petcock are not leaking?

i smell fuel too, briefly when i am cranking up and moving the bike around, but not a ginormous amount as if i have a leak.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/15/15 at 20:36:35

you need to test your petcock, there's a thread in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/15/15 at 20:59:36

stewmills wrote on 07/15/15 at 20:31:43:
well that should eliminate fuel just leaking from below the petcock when the engine is off. however, it could be leaking when running which could be a fire hazard.

sure all of your fuel lines and petcock are not leaking?

i smell fuel too, briefly when i am cranking up and moving the bike around, but not a ginormous amount as if i have a leak.

That's what I'm getting too.  Occasionally I do smell it when I'm sitting at a light but not a crazy overwhelming smell.  Certainly more than any of my other bikes though.

verslagen1 wrote on 07/15/15 at 20:36:35:
you need to test your petcock, there's a thread in the tech section.

Agreed.  I hadn't gotten to that because I'm replacing it with the raptor petcock anyway to make removing the tank easier.  The functional benefits of the raptor are just a bonus to me.  When I want the tank off, I just want the thing off...don't want to wrestle with it.  Do you really think the petcock could be responsible for a 35% drop in fuel economy?  Wouldn't I smell it in the oil if it was the case?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/15/15 at 21:14:29

chzeckmate wrote on 07/15/15 at 20:59:36:
Agreed.  I hadn't gotten to that because I'm replacing it with the raptor petcock anyway to make removing the tank easier.  The functional benefits of the raptor are just a bonus to me.  When I want the tank off, I just want the thing off...don't want to wrestle with it.  Do you really think the petcock could be responsible for a 35% drop in fuel economy?  Wouldn't I smell it in the oil if it was the case?

Hell yes, if you do nothing else pull the vac line and check for gas.
your diaphragm probably has a hole in it.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 07/16/15 at 00:12:08

Excess petrol into the carburettor isn't making its way into your oil and diluting it? perhaps check your oil window after the bike has been standing all night.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/16/15 at 03:51:03

Problems with the stock vacuum petcock occur frequently....that is why we promote the use of the manual Raptor petcock.

Check the oil level.....when the bike is not running the gasoline may be running past a bad diaphragm in the vacuum petcock and diluting the oil with fuel.  When the bike is running the fuel can be going into the running engine and making the engine run too rich.

Do the petcock test.....at a minimum pull the vacuum line and see if there is any fuel in it - there shouldn't be.  Plug the vacuum port, plug the vacuum line, switch the petcock to "PRIME" and see if the bike runs normal again.

« Last Edit: 07/16/15 at 05:17:22 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/22/15 at 18:27:37

Follow up:  You guys were correct.  Bad diaphram.  The raptor will fix it.  I can't get to it now but I'll try to do the transplant this weekend.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:17:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drastic gas mileage drop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.