rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Air-cleaner meltdown
07/15/15 at 13:47:49

OK. Here goes.

I have purchased a 1998 LS650 that according to the owner had been stored for the winter season and now does not start - he has recently purchased a larger bike and does not want to repair the savage.

I had already been perusing this forum and began troubleshooting my motorcycle. Here is what I had done so far:

>replaced the petcock with a raptor petcock
>drained old gas and filled with fresh
>replaced the battery with one recommended on this site
>replaced the sparkplug with a champion plug

This is all fine and dandy.. but it still wasn't starting.

I believe that due to the failed stock vacuum petcock the engine is flooded, but while trying to start with starting fluid (this worked to get the engine going for 10-30sec, then it would cut out) the engine backfired and ignited starting fluid at the air-intake.

NOW, my air intake assembly is melted. there is possible wiring harness damage, and I'm not sure how much more money I should throw at my old thumper.

She has 18,000 miles and for the most part was in good condition.

I had thought about getting one that is road ready before I am in too deep with this one.

I am excited to work on it, but as is the bike is getting to be a big project.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Re: Air-cleaner meltdown
Reply #1 - 07/15/15 at 13:50:20

I suspect this will rise talk of carburetor issues, with troubleshooting.

IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Reply #2 - 07/15/15 at 13:54:50

OH! I forgot. When checking all the lights post-fire they seem to work, and the neutral indicator lights up, BUT, I can't get the bike to roll freely even when it says its in "neutral" . . .

lol

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/15/15 at 14:33:02

Sometimes mine "sticks" even when it's in neutral and I have to pull the clutch in and out and roll it a little and it 'breaks loose".  Some of the more technical folks here can tell you what to look for and what that is with these bikes, but hopefully you are in luck and it's just a sticky clutch plate or something like that.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Reply #4 - 07/15/15 at 14:37:37

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try... it didn't do it at all until after the air cleaner burned up, not sure what that had to do with it, aside from rolling it during the emergency lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/15/15 at 15:09:11

yes, could be a sticky clutch, but if it's in neutral then it should roll no matter what as the clutch in no longer in play.

post in the marketplace WTB airbox, a lot have pulled theirs out.

also, post you city and state in your profile.  you might find someone local to you that wants to go for a ride and drop off the airbox.

True backfire, sometimes caused by sticky valves or a bad valve adjustment... way too tight.

WWW   IP Logged
ridesalot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/15/15 at 16:59:53

A trick I learned which may free your clutch plates is to pull the clutch lever in and hold it all the way in with velcro or what have you and leave it that way over night or longer if possible.  By removing the pressure the plates may separate.  If they do not free up you should go into the case to work on freeing them.  If they are stuck, the bike will start in neutral but when you put it in gear the bike will lurch forward.  Not good for the trans.  I learned this lesson the hard way on one of my Triumphs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/15/15 at 17:43:17

You might wanna dump some oil in the cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Reply #8 - 07/16/15 at 05:48:39

OK, thank you.

When I replace the air-cleaner housing, what should I be aware of with the vent tube from the crank-case?

if I put on some other air-intake/filter without replacing the housing, what can be done with the crank case vent tube?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had already been perusing this forum and began troubleshooting my motorcycle. Here is what I had done so far:

>replaced the petcock with a raptor petcock
>drained old gas and filled with fresh
>replaced the battery with one recommended on this site
>replaced the sparkplug with a champion plug

This is all fine and dandy.. but it still wasn't starting.

I believe that due to the failed stock vacuum petcock the engine is flooded, but while trying to start with starting fluid (this worked to get the engine going for 10-30sec, then it would cut out) the engine backfired and ignited starting fluid at the air-intake.

NOW, my air intake assembly is melted. there is possible wiring harness damage, and I'm not sure how much more money I should throw at my old thumper.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/16/15 at 06:04:44

If the bike was not run for a period of time....most likely the carb has gunk in the float bowl and clogged pilot and main jets.  You will need to have the carb cleaned before it will run properly.

How bad was the fire you started?  Is the wiring harness now melted and in need of repair/replacement?

I would suggest just putting the stock parts back on.....the stock air cleaner and engine breather works just fine, and replacing it with other style air cleaners most often requires re-jetting and tuning that I feel is beyond your current understanding.  Get the engine running properly before you start making non-stock changes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Reply #10 - 07/16/15 at 06:10:26

I am sure that the carb needs cleaned.

The wiring harness definitely has some melting, but all of electrics still operate as far as I can tell...

Without much experience, could I replace the stock air-box?

Could I replace the wiring harness myself? (Probably just takes time right?)

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 07/16/15 at 20:35:42

if you can take pictures and remember what you did, you can prob replace the airbox doing the takeoff in reverse. take off the tank and seat and a lot more is easier to access, but not always necessary.

the electrical is easy if you take an old harness and simply swap 1 for 1, but you have many nooks and crannies to run the wires through. just unplug and swap one connector at a time. get a different year model or mess up and it can be a monster to solve if you aren't an electrical guru with a meter.

just be upfront and honest with the folks here as to your skillset and they will help as much as they can, short of getting you in over your head.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/17/15 at 03:20:56

If you bike won't roll freely when in neutral.....the clutch is not the problem.  When in neutral the only thing that turns when the bike is moved is the rear wheel, pulley and belts, and transmission output shaft.  If the bike was in storage for a long time....the rear brake drum may have gotten rusty and is dragging on the brake shoes.

Does the bike shift between gears when you move the shift lever?  Does the neutral light ever turn off when you are moving the gear lever?  (Your burned wiring harness may have cooked the wires and provided a ground for the neutral indicator light....which would make the light stay on continuously).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rustybolts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Erie, PA
Reply #13 - 07/17/15 at 06:24:40

I would agree with storage being the reason that it wouldn't roll, but supposedly it was used last season.

Also, it did roll freely in neutral prior to the air-box fire. So I'm at a loss for what has changed...

The neutral indicator does seem to switch on and off. Also the gears seem to be shifting, one down, four up, like before.

Maybe something with the transmission/belt could be frozen?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 07/18/15 at 07:00:57

where are you located? there may be someone on this forum that is close to you that could help take a look.

also, pictures sometimes help. yours, maybe not as much since you are questioning tranny stuff, but melted airbox and electricals could help us see the extent of the damage.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air-cleaner meltdown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.