Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I was taking my rear wheel off And... (Read 218 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
I was taking my rear wheel off And...
07/15/15 at 07:01:31

my right side wheel alignment adjuster? not sure of the name for it. as soon as I touched it with a socket it spun it half Lol. I managed to remove the nut from it but the remainder of the bolt is stuck in the part and I cant get it out. unfortunately I do not have a blowtorch or a pair of vise grips. how ever I do have gasolene and a pair of needlenose pliers. The shop in town can order another one for me but I would have to wait a week for it to get in and the savage has became my work vehicle as my car has numerous problems and isnt trusted. Any suggestions?

11751059_10200616374929685_844479759_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I was taking my rear wheel off And...
Reply #1 - 07/15/15 at 07:13:55

There is no reason you can't put the lock nut back on, and use it until the replacement arrives.

I have one I can send you.....it is at home and I could mail it tomorrow.  Not sure if it would arrive before the weekend.

$ 10 cost will cover the part and Flat Rate Shipping.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #2 - 07/15/15 at 07:22:52

True. I forget if I got the bolt to move or not. I guess I could just compensate with the other side for the time being. and I would take you up on the offer but im utterly broke right now. went through a job change recently with a month of no work

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/15/15 at 07:29:16

Sorry for your troubles. if I had one I'd send it to you to get you back on the road. we've all had those hard times and it just plain sucks.

If you don't have the tools, ask around...someone close by has to have a pair of vice grips and be able to help you get it out without stripping the threads on the adjuster.  If you can get it out, all you need is a replacement bolt that you can source from your local ACE hardware, or comparable store. Just make sure you get a decent grade bolt and not a super cheap one that is not up to the task.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/15/15 at 07:39:28

50/50 acetone , transmission fluid
Drop it in.
Wood blocks in the vise,butane power soldering torch,heat the nut, tons of ways to win.
You did back off the jam nut first I hope.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #5 - 07/15/15 at 11:10:40

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I actually ran into a few more problems mainly revolving around being poor and living in an apartment lol, I got all  but 1/5th of one side of the tire back on the rim and in my attempts of manuvering the tire the innertube magically popped out in multiple spots and is pinched. Cant afford tire spoons right now and I just had screwdrivers to get it on (If you can imagine I actually had to break the bead by hand with absolutely no tools) So, im in a slight predicament that im trying to figure out now Lol. Oh as well I managed to lift my bike up by hand and put it on block to do work on it, proud of that atleast. Im probably going to dawn a shaman mask and dance around the tire with a rain stick to see if it will mount and fix the innertube.

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #6 - 07/15/15 at 11:17:03

stewmills wrote on 07/15/15 at 07:29:16:
Sorry for your troubles. if I had one I'd send it to you to get you back on the road. we've all had those hard times and it just plain sucks.

If you don't have the tools, ask around...someone close by has to have a pair of vice grips and be able to help you get it out without stripping the threads on the adjuster.  If you can get it out, all you need is a replacement bolt that you can source from your local ACE hardware, or comparable store. Just make sure you get a decent grade bolt and not a super cheap one that is not up to the task.

I did manage to get the bolts and all that jazz, as for people who may have the tools I have no clue where to start. I did try a craigslist add some time ago for tirechange help and it was never responded to.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/15/15 at 11:24:06

Neilap, I sent you a PM with some info.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #8 - 07/15/15 at 14:13:09

Neilap I live close by and I could help you. PM me and let me know.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/15/15 at 18:33:58

That's the spirit!  Smiley

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/15/15 at 18:45:20

I HAD the right tools, and a shop, and I let one of the spoons slip and developed a new crease in my forehead, accented with a red racing stripe, dripping slowly down to my nose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #11 - 07/15/15 at 19:38:10

I thank you all for the advice, luckily it had got done by a shop and everything was good. I did manage to remount it single handedly and balance it even with the broken adjuster bolt (Happy it didnt screw in or out when it broke) I went with the method of spinning the tire and adjusting for the belt travel. while jacked up I ran it in gear (after I adjusted it and the belt went to the center of the pully and stayed) And it stayed in center with an even gap on both sides after being spun under its own power. not sure if I couldnt got any luckier on a first time.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 07/15/15 at 19:49:19

Glad you're rolling again!

I had to work on my rear tire and it was tricky doing it by myself, but it's not too bad once you figure out how to take it apart carefully and piece it back together one step at a time.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #13 - 07/15/15 at 19:56:47

Me too, Thank you Stew.

What I found easiest which I guess the right side adjuster bolt broke from rust is that it stayed at its adjustment. I loosened the left side adjuster and just pecked the axle out from the left to right side and used the unadjusted right adjuster as a 'control' and only adjusted the left one. my belt tension was good before taking the tire off so I was confident that I would have it easily enough. got on it and rode some and rides straight as can be.

Everyone I asked that I knew gave me alignment horror stories and made it sound SO much more difficult than it was. then it dawned on me they were talking about Harleys Lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/16/15 at 13:54:20

50/50 acetone and transmission fluid, best penetrating oil around.
Few drops, tomorrow, tomorrow, no hurry.
P.S., Transmission fluid eats paint.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:40:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I was taking my rear wheel off And...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.