Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
four wheeler carb advice (Read 107 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
four wheeler carb advice
07/12/15 at 19:57:21

i have a 2008 arctic cat 250. 1400 miles. runs fine, just giving me a fit starting. when i go to start it cold, i have to spin it over 10 or 12 times before it runs on its own. if i leave the petcock on i see a few drops of fuel on under the bowl, so i thought it may have a needle not sealing letting it flood. i turned off the petcock last night immediately after parking. went to start today and still the same...choke seems to make no differenc.

so,what would be the probable cause? need to clean and rebuild the carb?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: four wheeler carb advice
Reply #1 - 07/12/15 at 20:31:02

Does it have a bowl drain ?
Sure it's not oozing?
Is it a vacuum petcock?
Did you see signs of dripping with the petcock shut off.
Try starting on prime if it's vacuum, wait a few seconds after turning it on, give the bowl a chance to fill up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/12/15 at 20:34:08

yes. it does. i replaced the drain screw for good measure, so not exactly sure where the fuel is coming from...guess the gasket since i know it isnt the screw.  gotta do some more investigating.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 07/13/15 at 03:43:39

Stew, I have an arctic cat 300, not sure about the year, but about the same. Mine was starting hard and then simply wouldn't start. It was the spark plug, my 300 fourtrax does the same thing. Change the plug and everything is fine again.

I know that doesn't answer the leaking gas question, or even have anything to do with the carb, but it is something to consider.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 07/13/15 at 05:13:15

thanks, will check the plug. i put in a new one about 3 months ago, but that doesnt mean it cant be fouling out or going bad.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/13/15 at 06:12:41

N.I.B. parts can be bad. The life of a spark plug, if good from day one, really should be until electrode wear gets it. JMO, nothing to prove that.

But, if it's got carb issues, try to start it, but don't, pull plug, see if it's wet.

If you've got the drain nipple,you can check the float level using a tube.

Hard start and a drop of gas from the carb every hour just don't seem related.
My four wheeler leaks at the bowl drain, doesn't cause it to not start.
Sitting for weeks, old gas, these may be more my fault than anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/13/15 at 07:25:19

that's a good tip, check the float height.

also, these are off road vehicles, not subject to epa tuning.
so they're jetted rich.
your hard starting sounds like flooding, it might start easier if you open the throttle a bit to dry out the flood.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/13/15 at 08:43:11

Thanks!  I'll investigate the float height, plug, etc. and report back. I as well didn't think the drips of fuel and hard start would be related, except if it were evidence of flooding.

I always get confused on whether I should or should not use the choke (it's 90 degrees in the shade here) and if I should give it slight throttle? I was thinking it was flooding and thought that giving it throttle would make matters worse, but I guess that a little throttle opens the valve and lets more air in and lets it breathe?

So, try cold start giving it a little throttle with the choke ON or OFF?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/13/15 at 08:58:58

I have also heard that valve adjustment out of spec can make an engine difficult to start.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/13/15 at 10:03:23

stewmills wrote on 07/13/15 at 08:43:11:
I always get confused on whether I should or should not use the choke (it's 90 degrees in the shade here) and if I should give it slight throttle?

I'd have to assume that anything over 60° would not require choke, depending on the bike (mine's rich at idle).
Quote:
I was thinking it was flooding and thought that giving it throttle would make matters worse, but I guess that a little throttle opens the valve and lets more air in and lets it breathe?

Unless your carb has an accelerator pump (mine does, old cars do) twist it and let it dry out.
if it doesn't try to start while drying, then go back to square 1... no throttle start.

AND please, do not over heat your starter.  Give it a break to cool off after a long run.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/13/15 at 11:16:44

I have been known to pull the plug and, using an appropriate length tool, light up the cylinder. It's the only way I can get the tiller to crank
. But, it's worn out...

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/13/15 at 13:17:06

stewmills wrote on 07/13/15 at 08:43:11:
Thanks!  I'll investigate the float height, plug, etc. and report back. I as well didn't think the drips of fuel and hard start would be related, except if it were evidence of flooding.

I always get confused on whether I should or should not use the choke (it's 90 degrees in the shade here) and if I should give it slight throttle? I was thinking it was flooding and thought that giving it throttle would make matters worse, but I guess that a little throttle opens the valve and lets more air in and lets it breathe?

So, try cold start giving it a little throttle with the choke ON or OFF?

If you think it's flooded, I mean really flooded, open the throttle ALL the way and crank it, that''ll clear a flooded carb every time

remember, cold weather = choke, warm weather = no choke

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 07/13/15 at 20:08:44

Ok...got home and first checked the plug before doing anything and the pic below is what it looks like. Seemingly dry and no obnoxious odor of fuel.  Cleaned the plug well. Put the plug in and left the wire off, turned it over a bit and then took the plug back out and it was clean as it was when I put it back in. No obnoxious smell of fuel. Put the plug back in and connected for a true start attempt.

(no choke) I turned over the starter with no throttle about 10 revolutions and it didn't crank. I did the same again with about 1/2 throttle and it cranked and idled for a short piece and sputtered and as I gave it a little throttle to rev it up it supttered out, which s typical when the engine is not warm. Did it again and kept my finger off the throttle and it idled for about a minute and warmed itself up and I could then give it throttle and it would rev up and not cut out.  

Once it's warmed up, I can start and stop it as many times as I please and it cranks immediately, even after sitting for a couple of hours.  It seems that once it gets fully 'cold' again and/or sits overnight is when it has it's cranking fit.

So, Versy, it seems that opening the throttle does help, as otherwise I would have had to fiddle with it and spin it over 10 times or so before it cranked.

I'll keep trying this and see if it helps on a consistent basis or if today was a fluke (truthfully, I think Versy ran over here at lunch and messed with it so it would crank and he'd look good   Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue)

IMG_20150713_172819.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/13/15 at 20:19:15

If it's getting too much gas and you pulled the wire off the plug, spun it over, and you pulled the plug, shouldn't it be wet?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 07/13/15 at 20:39:17

one would think it would be wet. strange, but that's what i found.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › four wheeler carb advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.