Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much safe travel while on reserve (Read 153 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How much safe travel while on reserve
07/12/15 at 19:46:11

Since I have never tried this, I was wondering if any of you know how many miles can be safely traveled after the gas tank has been placed on reserve.  Of course this can vary, but was interested in finding out generally speaking, a 'safe zone of travel'.  

My plan is to travel until it's necessary to go on reserve, and then fill up ... providing there is enough reserve before the next gas station.

Also, for those with a raptor petcock, the same information would be useful.  If I have read this website correctly, the raptor has somewhat less gas available while on reserve.  I eventually plan to install the raptor petcock.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Ron G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: How much safe travel while on reserve
Reply #1 - 07/12/15 at 19:55:37

VERY ROUGHLY, about 20 miles.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/12/15 at 20:42:35

Strap a gas can on, go find out .
I've seen mine need to be put on reserve at some Very inconvenient times regarding traffic. When I'm concerned about needing to switch and traffic is around, I just switch.. coughing,choking and waiting for it to catch in traffic can be deadly. Run the experiment, cautiously.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/13/15 at 04:28:58

I did a review on the Raptor....it is in the Tech Section:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Here is what I found out about the reserve....Your actual mileage may vary - however when you hit reserve you tend to ride pretty darn conservative in hopes of making it to the next gas station.

"The reserve provided by the Factory Petcock is larger than the reserve provided by the Raptor.  The difference is caused by the height of the tube that provides flow to the ON position.  This could be corrected by removing the filter and extending the height of the tube on the Raptor - which may be a subject of a future tech article.  I turned each petcock to ON and let the fuel run out - then switched the petcock to RES and let the fuel run out and measured what was in the bottle.  The stock petcock provides 78 oz of fuel, while the Raptor provides 60 oz of fuel on RESERVE - this is whitout shaking the bike to get any remaining fuel out of the right side of the tank and you may get more when actually riding.  If you got 55 MPG on your bike the stock petcock provides 33.5 miles of reserve and the Raptor provides 25.7 miles of reserve."

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #4 - 07/13/15 at 06:04:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/12/15 at 20:42:35:
Strap a gas can on, go find out .
I've seen mine need to be put on reserve at some Very inconvenient times regarding traffic. When I'm concerned about needing to switch and traffic is around, I just switch.. coughing,choking and waiting for it to catch in traffic can be deadly. Run the experiment, cautiously.

Wish mine would have coughed.  Just eerie silence, on a bridge...Last time!!   Follow rule above.   Cool  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/13/15 at 11:41:18

30 miles with the stock petcock.  I'm still waiting for my raptor so no comment on that yet.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/13/15 at 12:37:11

Dave wrote on 07/13/15 at 04:28:58:
I did a review on the Raptor....it is in the Tech Section:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Here is what I found out about the reserve....Your actual mileage may vary - however when you hit reserve you tend to ride pretty darn conservative in hopes of making it to the next gas station.

"The reserve provided by the Factory Petcock is larger than the reserve provided by the Raptor.  The difference is caused by the height of the tube that provides flow to the ON position.  This could be corrected by removing the filter and extending the height of the tube on the Raptor - which may be a subject of a future tech article.  I turned each petcock to ON and let the fuel run out - then switched the petcock to RES and let the fuel run out and measured what was in the bottle.  The stock petcock provides 78 oz of fuel, while the Raptor provides 60 oz of fuel on RESERVE - this is whitout shaking the bike to get any remaining fuel out of the right side of the tank and you may get more when actually riding.  If you got 55 MPG on your bike the stock petcock provides 33.5 miles of reserve and the Raptor provides 25.7 miles of reserve."

Wouldya just look at that? Everybody having fun, engaging in wild speculation, conjuring up potentially dangerous real world tests and
BLOOIE,( or is that blooey? ) here comes Dave, throwing out FACTS, obtained by dubious methods, no doubt, measured volumes, differences accounted for, and THEN, picking a random, albeit generally average MPG  figure and then calculated the likely difference between miles on reserve betwixt the Raptor and the Stucker, which is a contraction of stock sucker.
Well, I guess now he won't get to go out and risk getting runned over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/15/15 at 10:15:06

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  My plan it to make the reserve riding a very short trip to the gas station, or having a container of gas with me.

Ron G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/15/15 at 10:41:31

I will tell you that when I am on a rural road and I hit reserve......it seems like a long, long, long way to the next gas station.

Even 10 miles feels like it takes an hour of very stressed travel! Undecided

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/15/15 at 10:52:46

I had the opportunity to test my estimation skills yesterday.
ran out at an unusual spot, estimated how far I could go before getting more.

15 miles with a raptorcock is stretching it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:29:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much safe travel while on reserve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.