Send Topic Print
Crankcase assembly. (Read 91 times)
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crankcase assembly.
07/12/15 at 10:14:59

Is permatex ultra black a suitable replacement for Suzuki 1207b for sealing the crankcase halves?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Crankcase assembly.
Reply #1 - 07/12/15 at 12:31:26

Sorry,dude, I dunno,, but, I Have had the head cover off a few times and, while others have successfully used RTV, I wouldn't. The cost of the factory approved stuff isn't that bad and the potential pain of problems far outweighs the minor cost difference. Besides,I've had my Threebond1104 for about eight years and it's still pliable and useable.
Whatever the manufacturer suggests is what I'd use.
Have you split the case? Why?
If it's leaking, tighten up the peg bolts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/12/15 at 12:51:37

I bought the bike with a hole in the crankcase and I'm in the process of transferring everything into another crankcase. About ready to seal her up. Hate to wait long enough to order the 1207 if I already have something that will work.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/12/15 at 13:41:52

I wouldn't take the chance.  The proper sealant is different than the common RTV products.  It seems to set up far slower and gives you more time to work, and it seems to have more "body".....it is not as slippery or thin when you are working with it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/15 at 17:36:30

Yeah. I believe you. I went ahead and ordered some. I'll wait on it put together like they recommend. Thanks for the advise.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/12/15 at 18:47:24

Patience,  good call..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/13/15 at 04:36:44

While you are waiting for the "Goo" to arrive....go to Walgreen's or a similar Pharmacy and buy a small plastic syringe - one that is about the same diameter as a pencil.  You pull out the plunger and squeeze some of the sealer into the syringe.  It makes applying a nice thin bead of the sealant so much easier.  You don't want a thick blob of sealant......just enough that it spreads evenly and a small amount squeezes out when the cases are tightened together. If you apply too much it can block the oil passages, and makes an ugly mess of the seam.  After the cases are tightened together I clean off any excess on the outside of the case with a popsicle stick and then smooth it out with a rag wetted with paint thinner (mineral spirits).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1UX994?psc=1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
okiemeterman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/17/15 at 07:53:49

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Just got the sealant in. About ready to put it together.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crankcase assembly.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.