Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The 3D Savage (Read 134 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

The 3D Savage
07/11/15 at 13:56:07

I became a Private Pilot, Single Engine Land back in the late '70s and flew until I had to let my medical expire to spend my flying money raising a son.

Once I had the FAA certificate in hand, I went right to flying the old fabric covered tail wheel airplanes: first a Piper Super Cruiser, then Cubs, Super Cubs, Stinson 108, Luscombe, the Citabria and some others... learning mild aerobatics, flying low over the countryside, dropping into friends' pastures for a visit.

The last 5 years I flew was almost all in a beautifully maintained 65hp Piper J3 Cub, out of a country strip north of Dallas. In that ship I was able to pursue mastery of the flying art, in terms of smoothness, grace, precise control, feeling one with the airplane and environment, with no stress or strain on me or the Cub.

Well. It occurs to me that, out of all the motorcycles I have owned and ridden, the Savage is the two wheeled analog of the Cub. It's not fast (it likes almost the same speed range as the Cub: a Cub will go 70 but it's happier at 60, flying grandly along with the door open), it's not wildly responsive but can be operated smoothly, it's not big or modern or exotic, but is a beautiful combination of old school technologies.

And I find myself in the same pursuit on the Savage: going for perfect smoothness and harmony with every turn, shift, start and stop. The Savage is a great teacher of these things. It rewards the effort. It is a tool for Zen.

It is so cool to have old Digger on this board. He has flown the hot ships, both air and space, and ridden hot bikes. But I guarantee he knows this special thing about the Savage. It is a pure motorcycle when it comes to riding for riding's sake. Right on...

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: The 3D Savage
Reply #1 - 07/11/15 at 20:06:30

I've have always felt that riding a motorcycle through wide sweeping curves was the closest thing to flying a small airplane that a person could experience while on solid earth.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #2 - 07/11/15 at 20:57:40

There are similarities... the wind, the looseness and tautness of response at different speeds, banking and feeling some G force in turns among them. Both things are finally about energy management.

Some different aspects of physics are involved in the two things.

Learning to fly a wing --  to sense the lift and loading in a wing, to project a path through three dimensional space, to "get it" in such a way that the wing may as well be attached to your shoulders, to think or almost not have to think about it like a bird doesn't have to think about it -- it's a different skill set, a different kind of instinct. But there are similarities. Some of the same parts of the brain and nervous system are in play. Both things beckon. Both things scratch a certain itch and bring pleasure and satisfaction. That's for sure.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/11/15 at 21:03:45

after being a rusty pilot for about 10 years i got current 2 years ago and inrended to stay current, but the anticipated opportunities to fly through a volunteer group turned up little to nothing so i am not current as of march.

having the savage has given me an alternative adrenaline outlet of sorts and i dont find myself sweating the flying, or lack thereof.

thanks, savage, for filling the void.  Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #4 - 07/11/15 at 21:58:07

Flying "the hard way", on your own dime, is difficult to afford nowadays. It didn't used to be so bad. Today, the cost has to be choking off the supply of new pilots. Which, really, is a national security issue, and also a shame in a cultural sense. Nothing creates trust and self reliance, or humility, like flying does.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/12/15 at 06:47:15

i agree. there's just something about being 5000 ft in the air, looking around in the otherwise empty plane, and saying to yourself, "oh crap, I'm flying this thing all by myself."  definitely makes you feel proud to have both the FREEDOM and the ability to be up there.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/12/15 at 06:59:05

And you can't wad the plane on a tight blind turn  Grin
I've done hang gliding, ultralights (briefly) and a friend of my father's once let me have the controls of his Cub (quite illegally I'm sure) for a short stint, huge fun!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 07/12/15 at 08:59:07

Stewmills said: "i agree. there's just something about being 5000 ft in the air, looking around in the otherwise empty plane, and saying to yourself, "oh crap, I'm flying this thing all by myself."

Right. When your instructor first un-asses the plane and sends you up for your first solo, that seat looks terribly empty taxiing out to the runway. There is honest fear. Next you find out the thing climbs out just great without his weight there. And while you nervously tool around the traffic pattern something new gets born in you when it finally hits you that the whole thing, glory or tragedy, is 100% up to you now. Back on the ground, with your shirt tail cut off and folks clapping you on the back, it's the greatest day of your life.

Art Webb says: "...a friend of my father's once let me have the controls of his Cub (quite illegally I'm sure) for a short stint, huge fun!"

No, it's legal. The pilot in command is responsible for the airplane. I laid my flying down when my son was about 5, but before that he got in a good amount of stick time. He couldn't reach the rudder pedals but he was good. He picked it up well. I used to tell him he had a gift for it. I won't be surprised if some day he tells me he's been taking lessons and is going for it. And I will encourage him.  ;-'

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/12/15 at 13:50:00

I learned to fly in an 8A Luscombe in 1974.  It only cost my $ 12.50 an hour to rent it....including fuel!

I stopped flying in 1979 when I moved to Cincinnati and plain rental was $ 60 an hour!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #9 - 07/12/15 at 14:37:10

Dave, you really learned to fly in a Luscombe. That is a hard, solid little fighter of an airplane with wonderful crisp ailerons and unforgiving ground handling. It will ground loop if you even think about neglecting the rudder.

The one I flew was an 85hp 8E, a ranch plane owned by a friend in the Texas Hill country. The cockpit was so cramped that after an hour flying I needed a chiropractor to stand up straight. But that little booger had soul.

I was trained in a Piper PA-38 Tomahawk, which was the hot ticket in 1978 but ended up with a bad reputation. It had its flaws, but it had a low wing and great visibility and was a good trainer because it would not fly hands off at all... you had to make it go where you wanted it to at all times or it would diverge and do whatever the heck it pleased.

Before I took my FAA check ride I requested spin training in it. It later turned out that spins could break the T tail off the airplane, but I got away with 20 or 30 spins in it. Can't help it if I'm lucky...

Seems like I paid $24 an hour to fly it.

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #10 - 07/14/15 at 18:45:39

I got my ticket in the Tomahawk. Never had any desire to do spins. I remember my first solo, I was still flying high on the way home from the airport. What a rush!! Put a bunch of hours on the Warriors after that. Much more stable platform.

I gotta get current again  :'(

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 07/14/15 at 19:26:11

Back in the early 70’s,
would cut out the, ’coupon’, in the local Sunday paper,
for a 5.00, 1 hour,  ‘Flying Lesson’, At a local airport.

Every Week, 5.00 bucks would be a 1 hour, ‘lesson’.
At first it was 45 min on the ground, going through ‘pre flight’,
after, several weeks, (as they recognized me), it was 15 min,
‘pre flight’ and 45, ‘Flying’.

Never, ‘landed’  or, ’took off’,  But once in the air,
the ‘instructor,’ let me, ‘pilot’, the airplane.

By Late 70’s, “Going to get my License”,  I thought.
But, Cheese and Rice, it was expensive !

So never did, but, still enjoy, people who I  know, who do have a license,
and they, let’ me, ‘fly’.

So those that, DO  have a license,  Hats Off!

(Is that why I like the S-40, you, ‘Drive it’, not, ‘ride it” ?)

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/14/15 at 19:38:05

I had dreams of doing what Digger did, but there's no way that NASA was going to let a non-engineer Rotorhead have the stick of a shuttle.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait to get to heaven and just fly through space on my own !   Grin

I've been around folks who flew some of the tail draggers ya'll have mentioned, but that was waaay back in the 60's.  I went to school for a couple of years at Parks College in Cahokia, IL.  It is an aviation school with roots going back to the near beginnings of US aviation.  
I relate to the feelings of riding & flying.  My mind often takes me back, especially when in the mountains, of when I was flying.  Much more so of when flying helicopters than fixed wing, but thats probably because of the low level stuff we did.  The limited time I had in fixed wing just did not offer the same opportunity unfortunately.
My flying career came to a halt when I was medically grounded for the migraines...kind of tough to get cleared medically to fly when you are taking narcotics.  They frown on that.
I always preferred to fly at 1500-2500' just for the "looking around" aspect.  
I never did get my Commercial Rating but did have an instrument ticket.  At times I've wished I had gone for the commercial when I first got out of the Army, and then gone with the Border Patrol.  They contacted me but at the time I was not interested ... just wanted to party back then...foolish I was.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/14/15 at 19:42:33

Quote:

(Is that why I like the S-40, you, ‘Drive it’, not, ‘ride it” ?)

It's called Flying on the Ground !

Or ... extreme Nap of the Earth flying.    Cheesy

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #14 - 07/15/15 at 00:26:01

Drestakil wrote on 07/14/15 at 18:45:39:
I got my ticket in the Tomahawk. Never had any desire to do spins. I remember my first solo, I was still flying high on the way home from the airport. What a rush!! Put a bunch of hours on the Warriors after that. Much more stable platform.(

The Tomahawk was a sporty trainer. Piper and Cessna both had those $5 or $10 special rides back then and I did them both. The Cessna 152 was nice but I really preferred the Piper's larger cockpit, low wing, great visibility.

I ended up renting a number of 152s later because they were cheap and available almost anywhere.

The one thing the Cessna 152 has over the Tomahawk's design features is better flaps. 152 flaps create a lot of lift. Tomahawk flaps are small and they mostly act like spoilers, letting you get the nose lower at a given glide speed. But that's about it. They don't buy you any significant stall margin.

Another thing, and it got people killed, is that some weird things happened in the Tomahawk's certification process. Some changes were made after certification to cut cost, like fewer wing ribs. The wing ended up with a 10,000 hour service life -- not much. It would oil can like crazy under G load. And this may have messed with the stall characteristics because it would drop a wing in a too-slow pattern turn leading to a number of  fatal stall/spin accidents before they put some stall strips on the leading edge to band-aid the problem.

There were also some airworthiness directives on the T tail attach points. Just some quality issues there that the Cessna didn't have...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:31:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › The 3D Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.