Send Topic Print
Need electrical help (Read 323 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Need electrical help
07/11/15 at 13:42:48

I'm attempting to install FIAMM El Grande horns on my bike and something's not quite right.
I have the horns and a Bosch relay (5 prongs; 2 87's).  
I ran a 10 awg wire with an in-line fuse from the + battery terminal and connected this to the #30 relay terminal.
Connected the stock horn wire (black/blue according to Clymer for my year) to the #86 terminal on the relay.
Ran a wire to each horn; one from each of the #87 relay terminals.
The horns are mounted to the frame using the tapped holes for the front reflectors and are on metal brackets, so they should be grounded.
The stock horn has 2 wires so I made a "Y" pigtail from the #85 relay terminal, connected the other stock horn wire to that and ran a wire back to the negative battery terminal.

Once everything was wired up, I reconnected the battery and put a fuse in the in-line fuse block for the new relay feed.  Soon as I turned the key, I could hear a fuse blow and it ended up being one of the fuses for the bike.  The fuse going to the new relay was intact.

The horns come with a spade connector to only one terminal on the horn but include a small metal piece that is basically a male spade on a piece of metal with a hole, I assume for grounding at the mount point.  I didn't include it in my set up since the horns are mounted on a metal stud to a metal bracket to a threaded hole in the frame.

Any ideas?
Should I have just grounded the other stock horn wire not in the circuit with the relay?  I'm not an expert at the electrical stuff but it seems the relay needs to be grounded and the stock horn has 2 wires so I grounded those together.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Need electrical help
Reply #1 - 07/11/15 at 14:05:06

youll need a tester
me thinks the oem horn is fed hot and the button completes the neg wire to ground

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/11/15 at 14:08:28

Got it figured out.  I over complicated the system (very typical of me).
I actually found the answer from a buyer on Amazon.  The stock horn wires go to #'s 85 and 86, power to #30 horns fed by #87.
I'll post up some pics and sounds later.  These things are great.  Sound like an old Detroit car horn.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/11/15 at 18:13:18

Here's how the new horn sounds compared to stock.

[img]http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k548/Tocsik87/S40/IMG_20150711_163536679_HDR_zpskm5w7vlu.jpg" alt="" title="" border="0" />[/img]

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/11/15 at 20:17:48

I like the new horns, sounds more like a car so maybe people will pay more attention to it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/11/15 at 20:51:38

Tocsik,

Could you post a picture of the new horns?

The horns really sound good.

Kenny G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/11/15 at 23:50:09

Love it!!!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/12/15 at 07:20:32

I put a Fiamm 'freeway blaster' on my old Ninja500 when the stockers died, after that any time i blew the horn my riding buddy jumped (it was loud)

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 07/12/15 at 11:07:52

Kenny G wrote on 07/11/15 at 20:51:38:
Tocsik,

Could you post a picture of the new horns?

The horns really sound good.

Kenny G

OK, got it figured out.
From the sides, the horns aren't too noticable.  I'll probably switch out the red wires for black and change the connectors to flag-type so that stuff is tucked out of the way better.  You can mount them with or without the red backing cups and/or the chrome grills.  I left both on and actually like the way the grills match up to the lines on the cooling fins and the coil springs on the rear shocks.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/12/15 at 13:03:52

Tocsik,

That is a good looking setup.

It looks like the horns belong there.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/13/15 at 21:58:58

I sure does, and they're louder than a polite fart (stock horn)

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 07/16/15 at 12:39:51

Ok, not a hater here....the horns sound great and look good on the bike.

To ME anyway, they look like they are on the wrong side. Like, the "coil" of the swirl should start at the bottom and end in the trumpet at the top (basically, if the horns were just swapped left to right).

Is it just me mebbe?

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/16/15 at 12:43:01

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/16/15 at 12:39:51:
To ME anyway, they look like they are on the wrong side. Like, the "coil" of the swirl should start at the bottom and end in the trumpet at the top (basically, if the horns were just swapped left to right)

I dunno'......would they fill up with water if turned the other way?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 07/16/15 at 12:48:44

Interesting question Dave...I haven't a clue. I guess I am just used to top-down symmetry.

Maybe a small drain hole wouldnt hurt? I mean, they WILL get water in them anyway, right? 50 MPH in wet weather, water gets everywhere.

Did a quick Google search and saw these. Not trying to prove anything, just trying to better explain my comment.

Left_2_Horns.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 07/16/15 at 12:54:22

and....

Right_Horn.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:22:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need electrical help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.