Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is this knocking or normal?? (Read 204 times)
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Is this knocking or normal??
07/10/15 at 14:19:11

not sure what to think about this sound. Is this normal for this engine type at all? Should I be worried?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Is this knocking or normal??
Reply #1 - 07/10/15 at 14:30:18

I think it's normal, but the smart folks will chime in shortly.

FYI - We can see your mileage, but it helps to know the year, mileage, any mods you are aware of, etc.  A lot of that stuff can be indicators of what may be causing certain sounds, behaviors, etc.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/10/15 at 14:32:29

Also, I see in your pics that there is one of an oil leak?  Are you addressing/researching that as well?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Reply #3 - 07/10/15 at 14:41:15

Yes I am! I got that all fixed up. I had some work done on it last week. I got new tires, brakes, form seals, and atv'd the leaks and cleaned the area of the leak and no signs of oil!

« Last Edit: 07/16/15 at 03:55:31 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 07/10/15 at 14:46:22

10-4. That's good info for folks to know. I think the folks here will give it a thumbs up, but hang tight and they'll chime in as well, maybe have more questions as well.

They are great bikes, you'll really enjoy it. Hang in here and the forum will help you do pretty much any work that is needed. Technical person or not, if you're willing to listen everyone will take you through every step. Just ask.  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 07/10/15 at 18:46:43

That sounds normal to me. The Savage engine emits mechanical noise in perfect condition.

I've never heard it in person, but I am told the top end noise, when the cam chain tensioner is failing, esp on the right side, makes a real racket. There's a youtube or two out there claiming to convey that noise, but who knows how accurate the audio is...

What oil are you using? Normal automotive 10W-40 runs a little noisier and is not good for the engine for wear reasons.

The high time experts here constantly recommend Shell Rotella T 15W-40.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/10/15 at 19:04:38

I can't read the mileage. I'm not hearing anything alarming, but checking valves never hurts. If it's new to you, you don't know how it's been maintained. Mileage approaching fifteen thousand means that the cam chain tensioner needs looked at.I do think it's a little noisy, but ears THERE isn't the same as a recording online.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/10/15 at 20:55:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/15 at 19:04:38:
I can't read the mileage. I'm not hearing anything alarming, but checking valves never hurts. If it's new to you, you don't know how it's been maintained. Mileage approaching fifteen thousand means that the cam chain tensioner needs looked at.I do think it's a little noisy, but ears THERE isn't the same as a recording online.

I'm with JOG2 and Sonny.  It seems a little too noisy but nothing to freak out about.  Adding the correct oil will quiet that some and if it doesn't then I'd check the valve clearance.  There are some seriously experienced guys around here with very keen ears though so I'll be checking the notification box on this one to find out what they say.  Thanks for posting the video, glad to have you around.

JOG2 - the odo reads 4993

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Reply #8 - 07/10/15 at 21:27:16

Thanks everyone! And as everyone sugested to me before, I did use rotella t oil when I changed the oil. It doesn't seem to load the video did amplify the sound a little more. I wasn't too sure. And at only 5,000 miles to it I think it's running pretty good. I am getting s garage soon as my apartment allows you to rent one if needed and I am going to have a buddy of mine help me look at everything on the inside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/10/15 at 21:35:28

Manufacturer says five thousands miles to valve adjust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Reply #10 - 07/15/15 at 19:31:47

Also say if I let off the clutch in 2nd at a low rpm, it sounds like something is knocking like something's loose where th front of the engine is. The knocking does sound like its at the top of th engine I will look into adjusting the valves. I have no idea how to do so though haha

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/15/15 at 19:40:16

Verslagen made a really good step by step here.  Following this, a baby could do it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chasethorn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs
Reply #12 - 07/15/15 at 19:44:14

Awesome
Thank you!! I'll record a better video soon to pin point the sound

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #13 - 07/15/15 at 19:52:09

sounds the exact same as mine. I would avoid taking off in second personally. that loud clack noise I call it is pretty much running at too low of an rpm. just like a car if you let off the clutch too soon and it will shake until it builds up the engine speed to operate normally

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #14 - 07/15/15 at 20:52:29

Sounds almost identical to mine with the mechanical ticking.  Apparently that is the sound of a happy motor.. who knew.  I am at 9300 miles.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this knocking or normal??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.