Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head leak... need advice! (Read 191 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Head leak... need advice!
Reply #15 - 07/11/15 at 15:27:13

Art Webb wrote on 07/11/15 at 07:35:40:
Mine won't do much over 85 on a good day now it's got that bigger rear tire on it

Yeah, mine as well.   Wink

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/12/15 at 04:34:47

If you tighten the bolts....easy does it.  The threads in the head and cylinder are aluminum and easy to strip.  I am on a phone and can't go to the Tech Section easily.....but go there and look up the torque value.  If you don't have a torque wrench that reads very low values well....just use a small wrench and a very light pressure.....they are snug....not tight!  I believe they are only torqued to something like 8 ft/lbs - which is not much at all.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #17 - 07/12/15 at 10:52:40

blackhalo wrote on 07/12/15 at 10:50:27:
Well I went and tightened everything up, but no love... still leaked.

So I cleaned it well, jammed some Yamabond as deep into the ledge as I could, around the entire curve...
leak isn't showing, but we all know it's there.

I don't mind an oil leak, I was just concerned that it would blow the gasket and strand me...
but if it's an RTV seal, and high speeds don't seem to make a difference on the pressure, then it's just a slow leak.

I can live with that... just needed the peace-of-mind that I'm not jumping off a cliff without a chance of survival.

Btw, my Savage is mostly stock... but replacing the entire stock back-end with a trailer fender made it noticeably lighter...
and the Supertrapp exhaust definitely gives it a mid/high-range bump... at 80mph there's still a lot of get-up-and-go.

75mph is the typical speed on the freeways / country roads here in ATX...
so it's not hard for motorcycles to wanna hit 85 and get past traffic.

Then when yer traveling thousands of miles on 80mph interstate highways...
it's very easy to creep up to 90mph in the right weather conditions.

I used to think my Savage was ready to explode around 65mph...
but the vibes actually smooth out after that, 90mph on a nice Interstate with the wind at your back is hypnotic / smooth enough to fall asleep...
I'm really impressed with the Savage, it's a strong bike.

That's not to say those speeds don't loosen bolts though...
just cuz the vibration is so fast it feels smooth, doesn't mean it's not heavy vibration in the real physical world.

Every single time I push the bike to 100mph, I have to check for what came loose...
90mph not so much, but 100 is like clockwork... something always gets loose when you pin the needle.

Anyway, thanks guys... I'm gonna take my chances and I'll update this thread when I get back... we'll see what happens!!

Ride on!!

Turn on, Tune up, Rock out!
WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/13/15 at 22:07:13

I'm very familiar with Austin Tx traffic, grew up there and drove a taxi for a while
My S40 will not go over 85 5th gear WFO, and unless you lay forward on the tank the wind blast at that speed without a shield is brutal (still haven't replaced mine I broke crashing on the Sisters)
anyway, best of luck on your trip

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head leak... need advice!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.