Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head leak... need advice! (Read 191 times)
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Head leak... need advice!
07/10/15 at 12:21:49

Hey guys... so my trusty Savage has gotten me 26,000 miles of mostly trouble free riding... until now!

It's done multiple 4000 mile highway trips with average speeds of 80-90mph...
ahem, with the occasional 100mph (or needle pinned, just for fun) it's been solid as a rock... I love this bike!!

I recently did the cam chain tensioner fix (just in the nick of time too, about 2mm left)...
shortly afterwards, I started to notice this:

I figured it was the head plug issue that's posted on the forums...
so I started cracking it open today... and found this:

You can see the gasket (or RTV) that Suzuki used is blowing out around the spark plug...
fair enough, I expected it... so now the questions:

1) How bad is this exactly?
While it's blowing oil, and feels like it's getting worse fairy quickly, it's NOT dropping my oil level dramatically...
would I be crazy to take it on a trip from Texas to Indiana (and keep the oil topped off)??

2) What's involved in fixing this?
Do I need to remove the engine from the frame? Can anyone point out the exact replacement gasket?

I don't mind spending the time fixing this, but I'm likely gonna miss a roadtrip if I do it right now...
partly because I don't have the replacement parts in-hand, and if the engine has to come out, then I'm definitely boned.

Would I be nuts to just clean this up, then jam some Yamabond in there for a temporary (2200 mile) fix...
or is that just wishful thinking?

I'm just trying to strategize an attack plan on this...
figured I'd get some insight from the experienced first!

Thanks for reading!!

Turn on, Tune up, Rock out!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Head leak... need advice!
Reply #1 - 07/10/15 at 12:57:31

no gasket, just rtv
no parts to buy, maybe head plug.
But it may also be the head gasket.  The head gasket can leak at the oil port and the oil show up at any of the head bolt.

I'd 1st clean and dry the area in question, start her up and track down the leak.  Anything else and you're gonna be in for a surprise.

The head cover can be pulled (usually) with the engine in the frame.

WWW   IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #2 - 07/10/15 at 13:09:00

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/15 at 12:57:31:
I'd 1st clean and dry the area in question, start her up and track down the leak.  Anything else and you're gonna be in for a surprise.

Good call... that's exactly why I posted!! Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #3 - 07/10/15 at 15:42:34

Alright, cleaned it up a bit so we can see what's going on:

Gave it some oil since it was on the low side of the looking glass...
intentionally tried the overfill trick, and went a bit too far... this is sitting on the side stand with the wheel turned left:

I ran it like this anyway because I wanted to get on with the test...
bike actually felt a little better than usual, and didn't leak from the fill cap (I cleaned that area too, including the cap).

So the test consisted of about 20 miles in 90 degree Austin heat... oil overfilled...
did about 10 miles in stop/start traffic, then 10 miles at an almost steady 90mph on the freeway.

I stopped to check it along the way (before the freeway)...
noticed minimal puddling on the ledge of the head almost immediately (very minimal, no dripping):

Then after I got home I checked it again and it's barely much worse...
there is a bit more (you care barely make out the milky line along the ledge), but it is growing slowly:

One thing I get from this test is that it's not really a high speed / high pressure thing... it's simply a slow/steady leak...
so the longer I ride, the more oil I use... doing highway speeds shouldn't make things any worse than if I was just riding around the city.

I don't think the gasket is "blown", it's just seeping... is this a metal gasket??

If so, I'm assuming if I keep it topped up I should be fine for the trip...
I could try to seal that ledge with Yamabond, but it's too slow of a leak to see exactly where it's coming from... it'd be a cheap band-aid at best.

Any of this make sense, or am I just fooling myself?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 07/10/15 at 17:00:59

Looks like a slow leak to me.  There shouldn't be any pressure there, I don't think, just oil splashing around in the head cover.

The head cover has no gasket.  It is RTV and that's it. The head gasket is a metal ringed gasket but is well below where that is leaking.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 07/10/15 at 17:15:34

Mine was doing that as well.  I gently tightened all the head bolts and found a couple that weren't loose, but certainly weren't tight.  I haven't had problems since and that was about 8 months ago.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #6 - 07/10/15 at 17:18:29

No gasket up there? Cool, that saves me $30...

Slow leak, I'm hoping... when I first noticed the oil hitting the fins, it got a lot worse after a single evening of riding...
so I thought things were going south, fast... but perhaps it was just the slow buildup finally overflowed to the fins.

Chances are this started around the time I did the cam chain tensioner...
it just wasn't visible on the outside until weeks later.

I welded my own tensioner though, and it was a wee bit on the tight side when I installed it...
I don't see that causing an oil pressure problem, but I don't know for sure.

Probably coincidence, but just enough to make me uncertain about everything...
figured I'd get some second opinions before I go getting myself stranded between ATX and Indy.

WWW   IP Logged
blackhalo

Pure Unadulterated
Radness!

Bradenton, FL
Reply #7 - 07/10/15 at 17:21:13

pg wrote on 07/10/15 at 17:15:34:
I gently tightened all the head bolts and found a couple that weren't loose, but certainly weren't tight.

Huh, that's a really good point... my top motor mount came slightly loose a few times (usually after long trips at high speeds)...
took me a while to finally figure out what was making my steering squirrelly.

So if that came loose, there's a good chance these did too! Hot darn (I didn't write darn, lol)!

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 07/10/15 at 17:32:36

My steering used to get real loose then I put on a tkat fork brace.  It is FANTASTIC.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 07/10/15 at 18:22:03

Just FYI, riding at 90 mph WILL burn oil.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/10/15 at 19:16:25

My oil consumption increased with speed and when I had just changed oil I could ride and not worry, but when the oil had close to two thousand miles on it, it used oil faster. YYMV, literally, I ran it hard..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/10/15 at 19:54:39

If you're not fussed about a bit of oil gettig on your boots, I wouldn't miss out on a road trip for that little leak. Just keep an eye on the oil level. Maybe hit the car wash and degrease it when you get there?
Or, pull the rocker box off and reseal. Isn't hard and takes a couple hours. If you just smear the Yamabond around the outside, that's not going to do much good. The oil will just migrate around the back of it. Good luck. Smiley

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #12 - 07/10/15 at 19:58:47

Running at 90 with an oil overfill can't be a good idea.

You folks who ride fast make me realize how much I baby my Savage. I feel like I'm pushing the gaskets out at 70!

The_scream.jpg

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #13 - 07/11/15 at 03:03:34

I had that same area of oil leak a few weeks back. Cleaned it to find the actual cause of the leak and it turned out to be  the head stud nut located nearest to the spark plug. There was a thread on it. We figured out that stud was an oil passage and had a small gasket/washer under the nut and that was where the leak was from. I cleaned the area and pulled the nut and used a dab of rtv on the existing gasket and it solved the problem. It was a very minimal leak that didn't really seem to affect the oil level drastically. And as with yours riding condition didn't seem to make it any worse or better.
While I was in there I grabbed the clymers and went ahead and torqued everything back into spec. Found 2 ofeet the head bolts not as tight as they should be but not really loose enough to do damage.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/11/15 at 07:35:40

wow, 90 and 100 on a stock Savage / S40
Mine won't do much over 85 on a good day now it's got that bigger rear tire on it

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:31:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head leak... need advice!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.