Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Minimum idle speed [video] (Read 120 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Minimum idle speed [video]
07/10/15 at 12:18:23

I've seen a lot of posts about idle speed since our bikes don't come with a tachometer.  Over time you can just feel if your idle is right but for those who wanted to know what it sounds like here's a short video for you to listen to.  

Here I have my idle set at 1050, which is about the minimum I would recommend for this motor.  Anything less and I'd be concerned about oil circulation.  I hope it helps someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91njcw1U404

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Minimum idle speed [video]
Reply #1 - 07/10/15 at 12:52:59

THANK YOU!

Very helpful!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/11/15 at 07:45:26

Pretty sure my Idle is higher than that, thanks

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #3 - 07/11/15 at 13:13:52

Mine is set a little higher too. I don't want a dry top end at long red lights. If my motor stumbles, it means I am a block from home and I forgot to turn the Raptor on... {X^(

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/11/15 at 23:20:21

I'm really happy to see your responses.  I want to point out that this idle speed is quite safe and will keep the engine cooler.  There's really no need to set your idle any higher than this unless you're experiencing a wonky idle.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/12/15 at 07:27:49

My ear isn't that good, and i was advised to set the Idle at about 10 mph in first on a flat, so that's where i set it
The guys i went on the Sisters ride with thought she Idled sweet
most sources say idle should be 1100 or a little higher

But maybe I could get away with a bit lower Idle than I have currently

I'm pretty sure i can get that vid up on my phone

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #6 - 07/12/15 at 11:30:25

Cheers - posting that video is really helpful.   Smiley

1993 Suzuki Savage based RYCA bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/12/15 at 17:31:53

Art Webb wrote on 07/12/15 at 07:27:49:
My ear isn't that good, and i was advised to set the Idle at about 10 mph in first on a flat, so that's where i set it
The guys i went on the Sisters ride with thought she Idled sweet
most sources say idle should be 1100 or a little higher
But maybe I could get away with a bit lower Idle than I have currently
I'm pretty sure i can get that vid up on my phone

----------------

1100 is a good idle too.  Up to 1200 would be alright even, but I live in Houston where it's routinely over 100 F and some of the red lights here last 4˝ minutes.  To make matters worse, sometimes these red lights can be 100 yards apart.  I've got my idle set to keep it cool mainly, but there is the added benefit of burning less fuel too.  

I've heard about setting your idle to 10 mph on a flat.  That seems like it would get you in the ballpark depending on your weight, the mechanical condition of the bike, the distance, and some other minor factors, but I've never actually tried it.  Just for grins I'm going to try it this week and video it  Smiley

The key take away from the video here is really to help people understand what not to do.  My idle is set at the minimum I'd safely recommend.  I've seen some videos with people showing off their mufflers and the idle speeds were dangerously low.  A low idle sounds cool but it's really very damaging.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/13/15 at 21:53:14

I'm just down the road from you in Columbus Tx, I know all abou that Tx heat (grew up in Austin so I know a bit about nasty traffic, too)
I went for a ride today and popped the vid up while my bike was warmed up good and proper
We're pretty close, i actually backed mine off a bit (idles about 8 or 9 mph now)
wish I had a tach to check it for sure, that's the only time i care about not having a tach

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:39:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Minimum idle speed [video]

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.