Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hot Weather Riding Jacket (Read 179 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Hot Weather Riding Jacket
07/08/15 at 10:56:07

I have a pretty thick leather winter riding jacket with armor, zipper vents in front and back. I have a thin leather jacket I wear in the summer (not all the time) but it has no armor, no vents.

I am going to do my usual clearance shopping at the obvious websites, but do any of you have suggestions for a good hot weather jacket? I need to be safer and wear one all of the time, it's just that it gets so darn hot in central Alabama.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Re: Hot Weather Riding Jacket
Reply #1 - 07/08/15 at 11:15:09

I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the summer. Seems OK up to about 80 degrees, maybe a little over it it's a longer ride to keep the air moving. Sometimes it's just too darn hot to wear a jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/ROCKET-VELOCITY-FREE-AIR-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET/dp/B007WUJMB...[color=#333333][/color]

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/08/15 at 11:23:06

Drestakil wrote on 07/08/15 at 11:15:09:
I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the summer. Seems OK up to about 80 degrees, maybe a little over it it's a longer ride to keep the air moving. Sometimes it's just too darn hot to wear a jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/ROCKET-VELOCITY-FREE-AIR-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET/dp/B007WUJMB...[color=#333333][/color]

+1 on the Joe Rocket mesh jackets.   I ALWAYS wear a jacket, no matter how hot.  I think it is cooler than riding bare sleeve as it keeps the sun off of you.
OK OK OK.. not ALWAYS.  PGR missions, I wear my "veteran" vest (but the jacket is bungied on the back seat)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/08/15 at 11:42:03

A mesh jacket is the way to go up to 90 degrees or so
after that, wind chill works in reverse, and more exposed skin heats the body faster than sweating can take care of
I wear mesh up to 90 or so, after that it's back to leather, at least for highway riding, as it's actually cooler without all that hot air moving across the skin at 70 MPH
Hough actually covers this in Proficient Motorcycling

Joe Rocket stuff never fits me right, I use a Firstgear mesh jaket

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/08/15 at 12:08:55

I was wearing a khaki welders shirt. Slid at least fifty feet. No burn thru, no road rash, I kept wearing it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/08/15 at 14:13:34

Drestakil wrote on 07/08/15 at 11:15:09:

How is the fit on these jackets? I wear a 16(neck)  32(sleeve) dress shirt, medium in polo shirts, and have a short torso. 32" waist.  Wondering if a M is a little large for me or if I could comfortably get into a S.

And color options...Blue, naa.  Red, naa. Silver, maybe. Black, my preference since my bike is black.  Wink

Leatherup.com has no risk 30-day returns  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #6 - 07/08/15 at 16:14:56

I used Amazon to show what I bought. I picked it up at a local bike dealer. It's best to try them on first. You can adjust the fit with the Velcro and snaps. It's probably more protective when it's tight but it lets more air through when it's loose. Especially when it's only zipped up about 1/2 way.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 07/09/15 at 05:49:50

Cheap Chinese mesh thing..... I figure its at least a little protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Motorcycle-Bike-Full-Body-Armor-Jacket-Gear-C...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #8 - 07/09/15 at 06:35:03

old_rider wrote on 07/09/15 at 05:49:50:
Cheap Chinese mesh thing..... I figure its at least a little protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Motorcycle-Bike-Full-Body-Armor-Jacket-Gear-C...

You'd be so busy fighting crime you wouldn't have much time to ride your bike.  Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 07/09/15 at 08:48:51

Yeah, old_rider, this would go perfect with your new windscreen  Wink  

We'll be looking for you on the 6 o'clock news cleaning up crime in the FL panhandle. Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/09/15 at 08:49:32

So stupid to make hot weather gear black...  Tongue...
That thing would be hell on earth in Tucson...

Plus,.. I don't want to look like a kid playing Batman...

Maybe if you wore it under a white shirt... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 07/09/15 at 09:13:11

I have the 2009 version of this http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/first_gea... bought from the site I posted. I've had it since 2009 and it's holding up really well.  They tend to run a little big but the sizing chart is accurate.  My only real complaint is the liner doesn't go all the way across so you get wet where the zipper is but if it's raining hard enough for the liner, I'll put on my rain jacket over it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/09/15 at 10:23:49

I wear a Detour mesh jacket with soft shields/padding on arms, shoulders and back, from Jafrum.com. It sells for around $50-60 and has treated me well so far. My fall in Tennessee did make a hole through the first layer of mesh in the right arm. I will eventually get a new mesh jacket, but will go for a lighter color (silver, white, ...) instead of the black with yellow. And yes I wear that even in triple digit heat here in Houston. I switch to leather in the fall and winter.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 07/09/15 at 11:20:22

Thanks all!  

As luck would have it (in a good day for a change) I stopped by the local dealership just to browse and see what they had and wouldn't you know, they had the Joe Rocket Velocity mixed in there. One 2XL and one S, both in the grey/silver flavor. I tried it on with the removable liner and it was snug, not tight, but snug. So wearing it without the liner will be slightly more comfortable.  And, the S has a short enough torso where it doesn't bunch up in the front like my thick and bigger Detour winter jacket does.

Retail was $129, and I really wanted all black. I stared at it long enough so the guy let me have it for $99 out the door to get it off the shelf.

So, grey/silver is my new favorite color. Hope to ride tomorrow if it doesn't rain and put it to the test.

Cool Cool Cool

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/09/15 at 14:20:02

Way to go Stew. Enjoy your new jacket.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:26:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hot Weather Riding Jacket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.