how much header wrap (Read 200 times)
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: how much header wrap
Reply #15 - 07/10/15 at 08:17:30

1.  Reasons in order of importance:  

A:   Appearance.  I eliminated the stock muffler, and installed a small, red glasspack muffler.  The paint on the bike is light blue.  While I like the idea of the red muffler, but it clashes with the existing paint.  Black wrap blends with black frame for appearance.
B:   Children.  Hoping to potentially avoid having one of my kids brush against the exhaust and burning themselves.  Yes, they have been told, and explained, but a slight brush of a hot header will burn them.  Maybe, just maybe, with the wrap they get spooked, but not a blister.
C.  Much further down the list but keeping the exhaust gases hot keeps up velocity, and aids in cylinder scavenging.  

Primarily A and B.  C is for the wife, to aid in justification of the outflow of $$

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #16 - 07/10/15 at 08:39:09

I'll do my best to give "my" answers to both questions

1. Exhaust wrap
My savage exhaust literally passes just inside my calf from the header and inches below my leg while seated. Thus resulting in 2 perfectly placed burn holes in every pair of pants I own. Even with the wrap I still feel the heat on the underside of my thigh when stopped and my foot is on the ground

2.hard tails
For me it's a low and long style. Someone explained the rigid ride aspect in another thread. Once you ride one and fall in love with it's characteristics it's hard to go back. I've rode rigid for over a decade now and when purchasing a bike to build that's one of my deciding factors...will this look good hard tailed.

Those are my reasons I'm sure others can chime in

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #17 - 07/10/15 at 14:07:23

OK! being logic minded, safety aspect gets me. Hardtails will take a bit longer to get my head around! Thanks. Cool

IP Logged
tom3949
YaBB Newbies

On the bucket list -
Daytona bike week.

Liverpool, UK
Reply #18 - 07/12/15 at 09:13:45

I would buy about 5 metres. I didn't wrap my exhaust completely to the end but left about 6-7 inches. I thought I was overdoing it buying 5 metres but once you start wrapping it's surprising how much gets used up. I had a about a metre left with my bike and that should be sufficient for the final 6 inches or so.

I do need to qualify this though as my savage has been bobbed using a RYCA kit - so it doesn't have the standard exhaust. The bobber exhaust is shorter - so if anything you may possibly need more than 5 metres.

1993 Suzuki Savage based RYCA bobber
  IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/13/15 at 07:18:37

IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/13/15 at 07:23:24

Alright, wrap is bought.  2 by 50 feet.  Should be plenty.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:36:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how much header wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.