Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
torque on foot peg/engine thru bolts (Read 52 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
torque on foot peg/engine thru bolts
07/05/15 at 20:10:57

I had to do some work on the heat shield and when I was putting things back together I consulted the toque chart.  Am I reading correctly that the engine thru bolts (the ones that go through the pegs, right side brake lever, heat shield, etc.) are to be tightened to 36 - 59 ftlbs?

Front foot rest nuts      50      80      |      36.9      59

I understand that these also keep the engine case together, but I tend to over tighten stuff and felt like I was wrenching the snot out of the nuts before my manual torque wrench surpassed the 36ftlb point...which I stopped somewhere close to 40ftlb I think. Hard to be exact with the manual deals.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Re: torque on foot peg/engine thru bolts
Reply #1 - 07/06/15 at 01:14:06

Following this one...

I also feel bad tightening these bolts to the rated torque... I kinda just wait for that darn "stripping the threads" feeling, when I torque them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/06/15 at 04:08:01

Those through bolts are hardened, and have fine threads.....they can handle that much torque.

They have to be strong as they not only holding the engine in place, they are holding in the footpegs (and kickstand) and there is a lot of leverage the bolts have to resist.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/06/15 at 06:42:12

Ok, I feel a little better. I am just worried that I am going to tighten to spec and then hear a "crack" of the engine case.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:20:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › torque on foot peg/engine thru bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.