OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: new here
Reply #1 - 07/04/15 at 08:32:10

500 miles in 10 years?...  Undecided...
Time to break that thing in... Grin...

Welcome ...

PS... you probably should replace your tires... That's 10 year old, dried out rubber...
Give it an oil and filter change too...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/04/15 at 10:13:56

Welcome!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/04/15 at 10:16:25

Bikes require certain tools for maintenance.
The dealership or pro mechanic for basic maintenance makes it too expensive. And, while you're digging into it to do whatever, you'll be looking for other little things that may need attention, they won't.
We've seen at least two engines destroyed by dealership mechanics, just doing an oil change. The filter Can be installed backwards, tho why a thinking person would escapes me.
A hand held impact is very helpful. And cheap.
Either grind tips on#2 Phillips or get JIS screwdrivers. An offset flatblade screwdriver to hold the valve adjuster while you're tightening the jam nut is really important. And cheap.
Reading old posts, hitting the tech section, and, above all, unless you are sure about what you're doing, run it by these guys first.
The most expensive part of a bike is keeping tires on it. Buying
The Best and only riding five hundred miles a year will leave you with good tread on dangerously old carcasses. Buying cheap and putting fifteen thousand miles on it a year and you'll be paying for installation three times a year..

The stock brakes do squeal some. Try squeezing a bit harder a few times, probably was ridden gently. See if a harder application helps, maybe even a light sanding of the disk, im talking five minutes, by hand, just change the surface enough for your eyeballs to see its not shiny where the pads run.
If it's shiny...
After they're done, try EBC pads.

The popping is normal, but, it can be more than normal. Loose header bolts, leaking from header to muffler..

Crap falls into the cavity the plug sits in. Blow it clear before ever pulling the plug.

Keep the idle up to at least one thousand RPM, or the cam will not get enough oil.
There are adjustments and mods, for now, get it running right and safe rubber on it.
Riders safety course,,,, stay alive.
It's a new,ten year old bike. A look in the tank for rust, id be getting ready to replace the petcock,
How was it stored? New battery?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #4 - 07/04/15 at 19:04:30

Welcome!

+1 Justin's excellent post.

Remember that you have a 650 single, enjoy the 'pops n bangs', it's all character Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/04/15 at 20:26:43

Mine is an '05 too!  Sounds like you made yourself a pretty exciting deal there.  How about some pictures?  Glad to have you with us.  I'm fairly new here myself and I can tell you that these guys know this bike and are quick to lend a hand when you need it.  There soo much good stuff here.  You're definitely in the right place.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new here part 2
Reply #6 - 07/04/15 at 18:53:47

hi there I forgot to mention

the lady did a full tune up new tires on the bike an oil change at motorcycle shop Smiley

just squeaky front breaks

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: new here part 2
Reply #7 - 07/04/15 at 21:30:56

Well done! I need to find a nice old lady like that  Wink

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: new here part 2
Reply #8 - 07/04/15 at 21:45:10

Are you saying that the owner took it to the shop, had it checked out, tuned up, whatever that means, and tires put on w,THEN sold it to you for $1,900.00?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/05/15 at 06:22:35

the owner, she rode it up until last year stored in a garage,
month ago she took it to a shop got a tune up on the bike ,oil change carb clean etc., but a new back tire on it because it sat for a year ..the front looks good there no dry rot.

she but a battery in it but it to big for the compartment, so I have to fine the right size battery

other then that it a great bike,
she jut didn't have time to ride anymore and lost interest  so she made a quick sell on it I saw it the first day posted,
she had it up for 2400.00, I told her I had 1900.00 on the spot so she took it.
I thought it was a good deal.. Cheesy

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #10 - 07/05/15 at 14:11:29

I thought it was a good deal..

You thought right...as mentioned IF that front tire is an 05 (check the date code)  you need it replaced.

Losing half of them is a whole lot worse than losing a quarter...especially the front one.

Welcome and congrats on a great deal.  Cool  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/05/15 at 16:44:21

Srotag wrote on 07/05/15 at 14:11:29:

Welcome and congrats on a great deal.  Cool  Cool

+ 1  Cool
Re: squeaky front brake. After you've sanded the disc per JoG's advice,pull the pads out and give a good sanding. Some flat concrete works wonders for ripping the glaze off old pads. When they're not shiny at all,pop them back in,go for a ride and bed the pads in: get to 35,40 mph and grab that brake. Do a hard stop. Ride off ,let the brake cool a little and repeat x10. You'll feel brake power improve and the squeak will go. Do take care not to lock the brake though.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 07/05/15 at 19:11:58

Like everyone else has stated... "good deal on the bike" and "welcome to the forum".

Just sit back and read everything you can, from the "Tech" side to the "Café" side... um, the "Politics and Rel" well.... read it....but don't feel obligated to reply, unless you are a good debater or just like mental punishment.

Don't be afraid to ask a question or make a suggestion... i'm here to tell you that this forum is one of the "good ones".

There a TONS of knowledgeable folks here that are not afraid to tell you what you need to do or give you PROPER advice.
Stay with us and you will know EVERYTHING you need to know about your S40/Savage.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I am sure everyone else will too.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/05/15 at 19:29:37

Who woulda guessed it's not as simple as it looks?

Bedding in new motorcycle pads and rotors - EBC Brakes
ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in-new-motorcycle-pads...
Bedding in new motorcycle pads and rotors. EBC Brake article about how to bed in new motorcycle brake pads and rotors safely and effectively.
How to Bed-in Brake Pads - AutoAnything
www.autoanything.com/brakes/how-to-bed-in-brake-pads
Installing brake pads and making them last isn’t as simple as slapping on a new set and going on your merry way. Incorrect brake-in procedures transforms hard ...
How to bed in your new brakes for street/urban driving - EBC ...
ebcbrakes.com/articles/how-to-bed-in-your-new-brakes-for...2
How to bed in your new brakes for street/urban driving. Instructions on how to install brake pads and brake disc rotors on a car.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 07/05/15 at 19:59:47

Welcome!

+1. GREAT DEAL!!!

I was a new rider and a first time motorcycle owner with my S40. Bought a 2008 in 2012 with 400 miles on it. I was TERRIFIED to ride it and work on it.

Thanks to the forum here I feel like I have been riding all my life and am not scared to do most anything with the help of folks here.

RULE #1: NEVER (I repeat) NEVER do anything, even (and especially with) the dealership before consulting this forum. Experience here trumps a dealer mechanics any day of the week and will save you loads of $$$.

RULE #2. See Rule #1.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.